+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pregnancy and Low Blood Pressure

Hi Ladies

I was wondering if any of your had low blood pressure (even before your pregnancy) and how it worked out in your pregnancy. I spoke to a doctor before who said it shouldn't be a problem and really depended on how the pregnancy panned out.

When I checked at the doctors, my blood pressure seemed normal (70/120) but I have a history of fainting and blood pressure drops (when I'm quite sick, it can drop below 50). So far in my pregnancy, I've only fainted once but have had quite a few dizzy spells where I need to sit down and have a cold sweet drink.

Just wanted to know if anyone had a similar issue, and how you dealt with it. Thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had this and I dealt with it by just recognising when I felt faint and making sure I sat down immediately. I also did leg exercises if I was standing still and wore compression stockings, which both helped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have low blood pressure before the pregnancy (im 35 weeks) and during.
    The ob isnt too concerned as he said the concern is high blood pressure in pregnancy. He even said "hmm, just enough to get around".
    I am normally around 80/50 and it can range from 90/60 to 80/40.
    I also get the dizzy spells when ever I stand up so Ive also been just being careful, taking my time and trying to rest.
    I am a bit worried about the labour, as I faint when in pain and get dizzy/ delirious.
    So I hope that Ill be ok for labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks very much for your replies. Hopefully Waiting, how did you cope in labour with your first one? That's another thing I'm concerned about because even when I get period cramps or food poisoning cramps, I find myself fainting and can't really cope. While I'm really quite keen on having a natural birth, it's because of this low blood pressure that I'm considering some sort of pain relief measure..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Pregnancy and Low Blood Pressure

My eldest daughter is 8 and since ive had her ive lost alot of weight and also had about 10 surgeries and health problems including cancer. I was over 100 kgs that time and now im in the 70's. So i cant compare it with this time, as i was alot heavier and my blood pressure was normal during the pregnancy but went a bit high during labour. Talk to your doc hun I have and im having an epi very early on so if i do faint and need a c sect im half way there. Stay in touch xo