+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: SIL issue - what would you do

Um... Is there a BIL in all of this? It's his family so his situation to deal with (if you can't let it go and wish to "deal" with it).

My very own brother didn't send anything (no card or present or flowers) when my son was born... I was a bit annoyed and so I told my Mum... She told my brother to stop being lazy and so he sent me something. Sometimes some people just need a little boot up the back side by their own family members lol
    Last edited by Happy2be3; 31-12-2012 at 20:09.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default SIL issue - what would you do

I don't really see the big deal unless she is very obviously handing gifts out to EVERYONE except your DD and your DD is old enough to notice and get upset.

Thanks
    Reviews

My sister never got us a wedding gift.....or even a card.

I agree with a pp. You dont want to receive out of obligation. I wouldnt say anything. Just ignore it.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Okay yeah it's weird and rude expecting your toddler to put on a show of gratitude but aside from that I'd pay no mind. Gifts aren't a requirement - I wouldn't give if it wasn't with love and wouldn't want to receive out of obligation.

I'd not tell my kids anything or just shrug if they ask and say aunt sil maybe forgot/doesn't do gifts and leave it at that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    I think she was also expecting a 7 month old to show gratitude? How bizarre....

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks everyone for your opinions it's hard when you come from family that make a big fuss over children and keep them out of family quarrels and have to get used to another families traditions/ways.
    Dh is ****ed off as well and quite hurt as before we got married they had a great relationship but she ruined it by telling him I was no good for him and only a gold digger. mil agreed with her but has done a great job of trying to rebuild burnt bridges and absolutely loves dd.
    Obviously sil is willing to hold a grudge but hopefully we can bring dd up to be greatful for what she has/gets and teach her that life isn't all roses.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Raylin Park For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (31-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I think make it a teaching moment for your DD when she's old enough to understand/ask about it. Explain that you shouldn't always expect gifts and to be grateful when they are given. If your SIL doesn't give her anything, for whatever reason, tell your DD that it's no reflection on how her aunt feels about her as these things are not measured by material gifts.

I do think it's petty on her part, but maybe she just meant that there's no point buying gifts until your DD is old enough to enjoy it?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (01-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Explain that you shouldn't always expect gifts and to be grateful when they are given. If your SIL doesn't give her anything, for whatever reason, tell your DD that it's no reflection on how her aunt feels about her as these things are not measured by material gifts.
    Very well said