+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggler View Post
    Thanks Cicho. I spoke to the Jamboree Leader who's in charge of the pre-Jamboree camp and in charge of the Scout Leaders who are going to Jamboree. Sorry if I haven't got all the terms right. The Scout Leader and the GL said that our son, and all the other kids, had to 'pass' the tests at the pre-Jamboree camp, before they were allowed to go. When I said this to the Jamboree Leader, he didn't know what I was talking about.
    I have never heard of any pre-Jamboree 'tests' either. And I wouldn't imagine it is up to your Scout leader to make a decision about your son going either!!
    The pre-Jamboree camp is purely to test out equipment, and patrols, ie do the kids in the patrol mix well, is the PL and APL suited to their roles. It is also useful for the kids to get to know if they are willing to go ahead with all the responsibilities (cooking, cleaning etc) for the entire length of the Jamboree. It's not a test where a Scout leader gets to decide who's in and who's out.
    Is your Scout leader going to Jamboree?

I have no advice for you Juggler as I don't really know what procedures are in place for this kind of thing, except I would possibly consider changing groups.
    Last edited by CMF; 29-08-2015 at 14:51.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (29-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    CMF, PipersMummy and Cicho

Many thanks for your responses. As you can tell, I don't know as much about Scouts as perhaps I should, but I think that it would take years of attendance, from Joeys upwards, to understand the terminology, customs and culture.

My son has his Pioneer badge, and has met all the requirements to go to Jamboree. He does need to build on his cooking & washing up skills, but we are working on that. I think that this SL and GL were putting the pressure on to scare us about the pre-Jamboree camp (that's next month), trying to persuade us to drop out. You have both confirmed that there's no 'assessment' to meet at the pre-Jamboree camp, although the SL and GL were making it out to be the equivalent of Year 12 exams.

I think that the SL's son (PL) doesn't like my son (APL) being friends with his schoolmate who's another PL, and just has it in for my son. On the way home from the camp last month, my son said that SL's son told him that he was going to get my son removed as APL. Two patrols got combined for the camp, so there were 2 PLs and 2 APLs. I understand that the boys should have voted to have one PL and one APL for this camp, but the boys didn't know that and the SL's son just announced that he was in charge. The other boys find it hard to deal with him, because of who his father is.

When the boys returned to their homes after the camp, there were huge complaints to all the parents. The SL was at the camp with about 16 boys, on his own, except for my OH who wasn't allowed to sleep at the camp because he doesn't have a WWC card. There were other Groups/Troops there, but the groups didn't mix, because the camp was one where the leaders stood back and the boys had to show that they were capable of getting their camp set up, prepare meals and keep clean and tidy. This meant that the SL's son was able to do his best impersonation of a dictator and not do any of the chores himself. He would then report to his dad about what everyone else had done, then cover up his own inaction. The patrol got hauled in front of a tribunal because their camp kitchen was a mess, but the SL's son did not get cross-questioned like the others. There were some very unhappy boys that weekend and it took quite some time for them to get over it. It sounded like a version of Lord of the Flies!

My OH was with some of the boys, including SL's son, and heard him say that he was in charge, and if the other boys didn't do what he told them, then he would hit them. OH stepped in straightaway and told him that he wasn't going to be hitting anyone and he wasn't in charge. OH didn't tell the SL what his son said, and OH doesn't want me to take this further, but even if SL's son had no contact with mine, or if we left the Group, I believe that SL's son would be a risk to others. At the recent meeting, we told the SL what his son said at this camp. I am worried about the Jamboree, because I don't fully understand yet about how the kids are put into patrols. I want my son away from the SL and his son, but that may mean that my son gets completely separated from everyone he knows, including his best friend. He's a bit on the shy side, but I think that he would rather be away from SL and son. This SL is the only one going to the Jamboree. In fact, I think that he is the only SL for our whole Group. Perhaps I should find out how to use the messaging system before I go any further. If your BIL can help with some info, such as what should happen when 2 patrols get amalgamated for a camp, that would be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    From what I can understand is that if a group going to jamboree is small or doesn't haven't many leaders they get melded with other groups but would usually have the kids stay together, our group is sending 8 leaders I believe and not all of them will be with our kids and get out with other groups of kids who needs more leaders/ other roles. I'll ask my bil more about it, my GL is very knowledgable too so I'll see if she has any ideas but your scout leader doesn't sound like he's running a very tight ship and definitely giving preferential treatment to his own child and needs to be pulled up

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (30-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PipersMummy View Post
    From what I can understand is that if a group going to jamboree is small or doesn't haven't many leaders they get melded with other groups but would usually have the kids stay together, our group is sending 8 leaders I believe and not all of them will be with our kids and get out with other groups of kids who needs more leaders/ other roles. I'll ask my bil more about it, my GL is very knowledgable too so I'll see if she has any ideas but your scout leader doesn't sound like he's running a very tight ship and definitely giving preferential treatment to his own child and needs to be pulled up
    My DS went to Cuboree in Qld last year and this very thing happened. We are only a small pack with 1 leader and 4 Cubs who attended. We were joined up some other smaller groups, which we met and got to know before Cuboree, and were allocated the same sub-camp at Cuboree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is one of only two kids from his Scout group going to Jamboree, and no leaders from our group are going.
    They have been put into a troop with kids from about 5 other groups. The troop has 4 leaders/coordinators (however most troops will have 5), and each of our troop leaders are from one each of the other groups. So basically there is no dominant group within our troop, in regards to the kids or the leaders.

Within their Jamboree patrols, they have been already put into patrols based on a questionnaire sheet we handed in, but they are testing them out on the pre-Jamboree camp which is happening as we speak! But on the form there was a spot for "name 2 kids who you want to be in your patrol" and "name 2 kids you don't want in your patrol". I'm not sure if everyone going to Jamboree has a from like this or if it's just our troop. But it was a good idea, also had to tick a box if he wanted to be a PL/APL, describe your personality, what do you want to get out of Jamboree etc. So they really examined these before putting kids into patrols.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is all very interesting and encouraging stuff, ladies. A form to nominate your preferred patrol members (and those to avoid) sounds great. I'll have to find out if this is done at/after the pre-Jamboree camp. It's great that kids can go to Jamboree, even if their SL is not going. It sounds like most eventualities are covered at the higher-up levels of Jamboree management, so the rigid type of approach I'm experiencing here might just be at Group level.

There are some everyday tasks that my son might not do as well or as quickly as other kids, eg tying up shoelaces - his are not tight, which means that he is not as good at knots as other kids might be. He can put up tents, and do all that is required at camp. He might not be as good as other kids at peeling potatoes, or chopping veg. This is due to strength and fine motor skill issues. Difficulty peeling, chopping and cooking might be an issue with a lot of kids, though. I wouldn't want him to lift a large saucepan of pasta to drain it. This doesn't mean that my son needs a carer, or that he can't do an activity, like help out with cooking the evening meal, but it might take him longer to do some tasks. He managed perfectly fine at the Lord of the Flies camp, for example. All his 'stuff' was put on the application forms for Scouts, and on the Jamboree forms, and on every form for every camp (more paperwork than any organisation I've come across).

I was quite concerned to hear the SL and GL talk about my son's issues, because the SL sounded in complete panic mode, saying things like "What am I expected to do if he gets an injury?" I said the usual things you do if someone gets a sprain (ice, strap it, eg). "What if he doesn't like the food, he'll get sick. You'll have to fly over to take him home, and flights during January school holidays are very expensive." "If he's not doing everything himself without supervision, then perhaps he needs to be with the disabled kids in wheelchairs, who have everything done for them."

I began wondering about SL training, because some very un-PC language was being used by him and GL. SL's comments make me wonder how he would manage in a crisis, or even just a small incident. I would call him one of these driven-personalities, high achiever, a bit hyperactive, on the anxious side, quick to lose it (yelling at the boys). Actually, come to think of it, not a good role model for adolescent boys, and I can't imagine how he is with the Cubs - perhaps he is less threatened by the younger boys, because adolescent boys are more likely to speak up and defend themselves.

I don't want to make things worse for my son, but I struggle to sit down and shut up when bad things happen, because that leads to cover-ups and more harm.