+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Scouts for boys??

Im wondering whether scouts are still about these days? Is each group different in each town?
    What sort of things do they get up to? Are parents involvement encouraged or only dads?
    And what sort of age group do they include?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Scouts for boys??

Scouts is for both boys and girls (has been for years) as they can not discriminate. They are still around. Parental involvement is definitely encouraged. I was a leader for a period of time in Darwin. The activities vary depending on what state and region you are in. Try google it and you should be able to find a scouts Australia website that will have most of the information and also be able to tell you what groups are near by

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, any Scouts mums/dads on here? My son has been in Scouts for a couple of years. We're having a bit of a problem with another boy, but he's the son of the Scout Leader, so it's a bit of a tricky situation. Anyone have any experience of how it works/is meant to work when the Scout Leader's son is in the group?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggler View Post
    Hi, any Scouts mums/dads on here? My son has been in Scouts for a couple of years. We're having a bit of a problem with another boy, but he's the son of the Scout Leader, so it's a bit of a tricky situation. Anyone have any experience of how it works/is meant to work when the Scout Leader's son is in the group?
    This happened at a group I was at. The mother made a complaint to scout HQ. The leader got in trouble for preferential treatment and then quit.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Scouts - difficult situation with leader's child

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell's Silver Hammer View Post
    This happened at a group I was at. The mother made a complaint to scout HQ. The leader got in trouble for preferential treatment and then quit.
    Thanks, Maxwell's Silver Hammer. How was the mum able to show that the leader was giving preferential treatment to his/her child?

Our group had a terrible time at a camp due to the leader's child, but no one reported the child's behaviour to the Group Leader. Some mums described their child as being traumatised by the camp, and they told another mum who is a Cub Leader. The Scout Leader has given his version to the Group Leader, presenting a few incidences as though he personally witnessed my son doing various things. When I did a bit of checking with my son and another boy at the camp, it turns out that the Scout Leader was not present. He had these incidences 'reported' to him by his son, who was in my son's patrol for the camp.

I don't see why his son should be believed over any other child, but the Scout Leader hasn't explained his son's role in all of this to the Group Leader. The GL was desperate for a parent to become Scout Leader, so she persuaded this dad to move up from cubs. This was after we joined and almost immediately, although he hadn't been in Scouts before, the son was made Patrol Leader. IMHO, the dad is the wrong personality type to be Scout Leader, just as his son is the wrong personality type to be PL. Clearly, this bloke knows the mum Cub Leader, whose son also suffered at this camp, as they at the same Group.

Based on what his son has said, the Scout Leader told this to the GL, but presented it as incidences he witnessed. They told us that they might stop our son going to the Jamboree in Jan. The Scout Leader came into the meeting we had arranged with the GL, even though we hadn't invited him. I protested about him being there, but the GL wanted him to stay.

You can imagine how much fundraising we have done for the Jamboree, and how much our son has worked to prepare for it, and how much he is looking forward to it.

I don't know if I should contact the other parents whose kids were in the same patrol at the camp and ask if they would back me up, or what to do. People are scared to speak up. The GL would be scared that the Scout Leader will quit, but I don't see why our child (and others) should pay for this Scout Leader's behaviour and his child's. Not sure what to do for the best, but I will need to take this outside the Group, as the GL is not listening and the Scout Leader obviously got in 1st with his story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a Cub, and a Joey, and have been on the parent committee.

I would suggest getting in contact with your regional.commissioner, and speaking with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicho View Post
    I have a Cub, and a Joey, and have been on the parent committee.

I would suggest getting in contact with your regional.commissioner, and speaking with them.
    Thanks Cicho. I spoke to the Jamboree Leader who's in charge of the pre-Jamboree camp and in charge of the Scout Leaders who are going to Jamboree. Sorry if I haven't got all the terms right. The Scout Leader and the GL said that our son, and all the other kids, had to 'pass' the tests at the pre-Jamboree camp, before they were allowed to go. When I said this to the Jamboree Leader, he didn't know what I was talking about.

It is a bit more complicated, as our son has a couple of conditions that might mean that he won't want to do rough contact activities, as he might get injured. I didn't like the Scout Leader and GL's attitude towards this, and I felt that they see any condition as disabled (black) vs totally 100% independent (white) and there are no shades of grey in their minds. All the kids will need some supervision, whether it's at the Scout Hall every week, or a normal camp, or the Jamboree. I would also expect that if a kid says that they don't want to do caving, for example, that they don't have to do it - is this what you would expect?

I have spoken to the Jamboree Leader about keeping my son away from his Scout Leader and his son. Perhaps longer term, we might have to change Scout Groups, if this bloke remains Scout Leader.

I'll get in touch with the Regional Commissioner, as you suggest, because I think that if I do nothing, the Scout Leader and GL will block my son going. I don't like bullies and I don't see why they should be allowed to get away with it. At the recent camp, the Scout Leader's son threatened to hit other kids if they didn't do as he said.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Juggler For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (29-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive never heard of passing any 'tests' to attend Jamboree (sounds dodgy IMO) although there are minimum badge requirements, which Im sure you already know about.

We too had GL issues, and one mum went to Scout H.O., and was told since there were no other complaints then there must not be a problem. Hence my suggestion of contacting your Regional Commissioner. They want to keep people IN Scouting, and if that means pulling your trouble making leader into line, they will do it. Perhaps you could mention you are considering pulling your child out due to bullying issues and see what they say. Hopefully something can be done for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by fullofhope View Post
    Im wondering whether scouts are still about these days? Is each group different in each town?
    What sort of things do they get up to? Are parents involvement encouraged or only dads?
    And what sort of age group do they include?
    I am a Cub Scout leader, they are most definitely still about it's very unisex now, parent involvement is hugely encouraged, both mums and dads, we had registered adult helpers who have to have wwc and police checks and then they get a scarf but aren't leaders if that makes sense, thy just help where they can. Not every group is equal, depends on how good the group leaders are and how good the individual sections programming is, feel free to inbox me if you have any questions

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Scouts for boys??

Re the tests they mention, there are requirements to go to jamboree, certain amounts of nights consecutively under canvas etc as well as some other things that escape me at the moment (my bil is our section leader for scouts and is a jamboree troop leader (jtl) in the upcoming jamboree I could ask him for you) before they are considered able to go to jamboree, it is very full on and sometimes the section leaders can recommend if they think the child would be able to cope, but they can't stop them from applying if they meet all the pre admission criteria. I was meant to go to this jamboree but i pulled my application because I just don't feel I would cope that long away from my own children (my oldest is only joey aged).

As for special needs kids, some groups will try to avoid letting them join which is absolutely disgraceful, we have a high number in our group because scouts if often psychologist recommended as a great out of school activities for kids with additional needs, while yes they can be challenging especially with little training for us on coping strategies, they are always welcome and often thrive in the environment because badge work etc is entirely customisable to what their interests are and scouts is wonderfully inclusive if you get the right group with the right GL and leaderships team.

If your GL isn't being helpful in relation to a leaders child causing trouble for other kids go straight to branch and report it to them, things will move quickly once they are involved.
    Last edited by PipersMummy; 29-08-2015 at 13:46.