+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to get the baby up 2 flights of stairs from our car to our apartment?

Hi everyone,
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this - I'm looking for some advice from those of you who already have a baby.

We are expecting our first baby. We live in an apartment and there is no lift access from our carpark to our apartment.
    We drive into the garage, park the car, then have to walk to the end of the carpark, open a heavy door, walk down about 7 steps, open another heavy door, walk up 2 flights of stairs, open yet another door, then walk to our apartment, open our gate, get into the courtyard, then open the door to our apartment.
    We have realised that this is going to be a major hassle with a baby! I'm small and I really don't think that I can carry a pram and a baby and open the doors and walk up all those stairs. DH works long hours so I will mostly be doing this alone.

I just have no idea how I'm going to do this. It will influence which products we buy (prams etc) so I'm trying to work it out now.

My question is how can I get the baby to and from the car to the apartment? Here are my ideas:
    • unplug the carseat and carry her in the carseat up the stairs? (Will be hard on my back and difficult to open the doors)
    • take her out of the carseat, put on a baby carrier, and carry her up in that, then come down and get the pram separately? (seems like a huge hassle to have to strap this on and off just to get from the car to the apartment)
    • carry the baby in my arms - is this safe? I would be terrified of dropping her down 2 flights of concrete stairs!!
    • buy a pram with carrycot (like Bugaboo Cameleon), put bub in the carrycot, then carry that up the stairs?
    Any ideas? Now I wish we had bought a house instead!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    the baby carrier would be my choice...get something that is nice and quick to get bubs in and out of.

Why do you need to take the pram up all those stairs? Why not leave it in the car?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: How to get the baby up 2 flights of stairs from our car to our apartment?

Baby carrier, leave the pram in the car. Or capsule.

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ergo fo sho.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How to get the baby up 2 flights of stairs from our car to our apartment?

Ergo!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definately a carrier.. Or one of those prams which has a bassinet so you can carry bub in a bassinet part of the pram..

Thanks
    Reviews
    a ring sling is very quick to use in these short carries .

why would u need to bring the pram in and out regularly ?

Thanks
    Reviews

Also, when you don't have anything else to carry I'd just use my arms.

I am in the same situation but with one flight of stairs. I can also wheel the pram out of my underground carpark and walk to my door which is great sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by *Need~More~Coffee~Please* View Post
    a ring sling is very quick to use in these short carries .

why would u need to bring the pram in and out regularly ?
    Yes, cheap ring sling would be enough...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Carrier! I've been there. Single mum, 6 flights of stairs and manual garage door! It was an obstacle course of madness! And 2-3 trips. Could not have done it without the carrier!

Glad I'm in a house now!