+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tomato Plant HELP!

I've posted this in another thread, so sorry for double posting, just wondering if anyone has some advice?

photo 1(5).jpg
    These are 3 cherry-tomato seedlings I planted 2 days ago into a raised bed, although the one on the right and on the far left seem to be wilting and dying? The one in the middle seems to be doing fine at the moment so i'm a bit confused? I water all my fruit and veg in the mornings and only water the soil to avoid the soil splashing back on the leaves. I watered them yesterday with seasol and I am using the same mixture of soil and blood and bone as the rest of my veggies, herbs and fruit.

photo 2(5).jpg
    Also, this is a separate tomato plant I have growing in a different raised bed.. It is fruiting really well, but I am just wondering how soon I can harvest these? Can I do a harvest soon and just let them ripen on a windowsill at all? Or must they grow to full size and ripen on the plant?

I have also noticed very small grasshoppers on my flowering plants (including tomato plant).. Can I or should I spray something?

Thanks!
    Last edited by troopingfairy; 31-12-2012 at 16:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would say your two seedlings are dying from transplant shock. Were they in a seedling tub together? Sometimes if the roots of all seedlings are intertwined, they can be damaged severely in the transplant and that's it, they've had it.
    They do look past the point of recovery to me.
    That said, your other plant is thriving and very fruity! And really, it's a small pot so will probably take up all that room over the next month or so.
    Tomatoes ripened on the plant taste 1000x better! I don't think grasshoppers will damage your toms.
    Happy gardening, there's nothing like your own fruit & veg!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (31-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks so much for both replies!! I am actually feeding really sad that the two seedlings are in the state that they are in lol.. my DH thinks i am funny because i am out in the garden fussing and studying my veggies. I do agree though, I was hoping someone would say "you can fix them by doing this.." I will pull them out tomorrow then.

I thought transplant shock may have been a possible cause, given that i took about an hour choosing the 3 healthiest tomato plants from bunnings ..

I've noticed with their plants that there are often pests or dying trees/plants though maybe because of lack of staff or for whatever reason, these go un-noticed or un-cared for.. I always feel so sad when I see a dying plant or tree.. For this reason I always inspect every plant I buy from anywhere to make sure I'm taking home a healthy specimen. The seedlings were strong and healthy when I planted them so I'm just sad to see them end up like this.

Thanks so much for your input/advice though! I really appreciate it!