+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default When did your toddler drop the day sleep?

DS is 23 months and I'm sure he no longer needs his day sleep. Most days he fights it, often until we give up and then will sleep 6.30pm - 7.30am. He's perfectly cheerful without one and will most of the time even stay awake in the car.

If he does have a sleep - even if it's only short, he will be up till at least 9pm, often 10 or 10.30pm. Then he sleeps in the next day till 8.30/9am which doesn't suit me. If I wake him early at 7, in hopes he will be tired enough for a day sleep - he fights it even more because he's overtired and we have a day like today where I battled with him to nap for 90 minutes before driving him to sleep at 2pm.

Bit of a long post, but is 23 months too young to drop the day sleep? I know with a newbie arriving any day I should persist, but it doesn't seem like the trade-off is worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: When did your toddler drop the day sleep?

My 15 month old has a morning and afternoon nap still, but I've been given helpful advice that even if he drops his morning sleep to still put him in his room for a nap or quiet time after lunch. Then he'll know it's rest time, even if he doesn't sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Could he maybe just have some quiet time instead? Like maybe just packing up toys and having a read and veg out? My niece dropped her nap at the same time and she has been fine without it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dd1 dropped her day sleep at around 13 months as she would do the same. Stay up til 9.30 - 10. When she didn't nap bed time as normal at 7.30pm - 8am which suits me better. If she has had a huge day or has been ill I will encourage a nap. She is usually happy and cheerful all day then bed time. My niece who is 4 months older has to have 1 or 2 naps a day otherwise she is unbearable but she will still go to Bed at 7.30. It's trial and error do what works for you both. Mum cut out my brother and my day naps at 13 months as we would be up to late also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We lasted until 30 months (a few weeks ago) which is when we ditched the dummy. Not a lot of fun as DD still needs a sleep and gets quite grumpy (she will sleep at day care but not home!!) and up until she got some new toys for Christmas she refused to have quiet time too. Now she has a dollhouse in her room she'll play for 1.5 hrs instead

Thanks
    Reviews

It does sound like he is ready to drop it to me. Probably because he has such a lovely long overnight sleep!

My DS, 24 mths, sleeps only 11 hours overnight with a 2 hr nap at lunchtime, so same amount of sleep in total, just divided up

If he could get used to some awake rest time after lunch that would probably be a massive help to you when bubba arrives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Your post definitely makes it sound as though he's ready.

All children are different, so don't worry about whether his age is too early or not by normal standards. If he's happy without it and then sleeps well overnight, that's much better than him going to bed at 10pm IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks everyone for the advice. Yes he is quite happy to chat to himself in bed for half an hour to an hour if he doesn't nap, and he's extremely good at entertaining himself anyway. Even on days when he's slept in till 9am and I know there's no way he's going to sleep I still go through the motions and let him have his quiet time to keep the routine up.

Think we'll play it by ear from now on, I expect he will still nap somedays. He has always had a lower sleep requirement than what "they" say anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

DS still has his day sleep. He is 3 and 1 month. He could go without it but he is much more agreeable after one. Some days he doesn't have it until 2/2:30 and he sleeps for 2 hrs. At night he sleeps 8:30-7:00.

You could try putting him down for his nap later. If he won't sleep I would definitely keep up the quiet alone time in his room.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

OP your DS sounds exactly like my DD. She dropped her nap at 23 months. If she has a nap at daycare she is up till 10/11pm then since she gets woken early the next day she is exhausted and has a nap and the cycle continues! I would live for her to still nap but I prefer my night times to myself!