+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is there a chance that you spend more on sister A's childrens gifts than sister B does? I know in my partners side of the family one brother is stingy ( spends $25 max on my son for Xmas) whilst the other is generous ($100+ for my DS gifts). After two years of birthdays & Christmas's being like this, I openly admit that i spend less on stingy brothers children than I do on the others. I still make sure I choose well thought out gifts I think the kids would love, but I don't spend the same on all my neices & nephews otherwise I would feel tight for one brother and embarassed for the other if I overly spent more than him if that makes sense....

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are some good ideas on here about Kris Kringle type arrangements or all contributing some money and splitting it equally. It's hard otherwise when the number of people to buy for is so unevenly weighted.

I'm not sure how to phrase this without sounding completely stingy lol but 6 kids is a lot to buy for!. If you were trying to spend the same amount per family it would obviously go further between two kids than six,( and even further where there is only one). The only fair way to do it for the kids would be to agree on a price per child, but then it still works out unfairly because those with less kids have to spend a lot more!

Do you think your family would agree to Kris Kringle or a present pool of money for the children?.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, maybe she spent the same per family, rather than the same per child.

I wouldn't sweat it really, I guess it's just one of those life lessons for kids - yeah people can be unfair and stingy, but it's not the end of the world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, sounds pretty stingy but as pp said 6 kids is a lot to buy for as well.

We do things differently for the kids at christmas. There is just my 3 and 1x neice though. We decide on a budget which is usually $15 to $20. But then to make it fair my sister and neice will give a present each to my kids and then my kids will each give a present to my neice. Looks like my neice gets heaps because my kids will get 1 each from them while my neice will get 3 from us but technically its just the kids all exchanging presents. Works out fair as mine all do gifts to each other and us as well at home.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 01-01-2013 at 10:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Unequal Xmas presents

I have to say I sort of agree with sister A. I don't spend that much on my nephews (hubby's side) as especially the eldest is ungrateful and openly criticised a present we have him once. My sisters kids are perfectly behaved, have good manners, appreciate things so I spend a bit more on them.

However because they are from differnt sides of the family the kids never know what's going on. I can see how it would be awkward. But if that's what sister B asked for what can you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Juzz View Post
    Is there a chance that you spend more on sister A's childrens gifts than sister B does? I know in my partners side of the family one brother is stingy ( spends $25 max on my son for Xmas) whilst the other is generous ($100+ for my DS gifts). After two years of birthdays & Christmas's being like this, I openly admit that i spend less on stingy brothers children than I do on the others. I still make sure I choose well thought out gifts I think the kids would love, but I don't spend the same on all my neices & nephews otherwise I would feel tight for one brother and embarassed for the other if I overly spent more than him if that makes sense....
    $25 is stingy?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I have to say I sort of agree with sister A. I don't spend that much on my nephews (hubby's side) as especially the eldest is ungrateful and openly criticised a present we have him once. My sisters kids are perfectly behaved, have good manners, appreciate things so I spend a bit more on them.

However because they are from differnt sides of the family the kids never know what's going on. I can see how it would be awkward. But if that's what sister B asked for what can you do?
    I must be very stingy then only giving my niece and nephews $20 each (they live interstate so gave them money in card). I don't think it stingy at all actually!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    $25 is stingy?
    Damn we must be tight wads then! My family has a price limit of $10 for kids & $30 for adults. I spent $15 on a 5yr old & her mother told me off for blowing the budget.

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry....different tactic here....
    What is it with people, Christmas time and gifts? Seriously?
    Christmas is not about gifts, it's about caring, sharing, being with people they love, and not to mention the religious factor of it.
    It shouldn't be about who got the biggest, most, least, cheapest, dearest gift or people's assets (or lack of).
    Appreciate what you or your children did get and move on.
    We have a "no gift" policy throughout our entire family for this reason, way too many people to buy for (we only buy for our own children, of course).
    If anything, the Grandparents may give the children $5 each to put in their money box. If that happens, we say thank you, and that's it. No comparing, no whinging, nothing.

Sorry, but this sort of thing really erks me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bambino For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (01-01-2013)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I like to try and keep things even just so it's fair for everyone.

That noises guitar wasn't an elmo one was it? Dd got given a little noisey elmo guitar. Most annoying thing ever and she loves it lol.