+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default To those struggling with a catnapper.

DS2 is a catnapper. It's so frustrating. I will put him down for a sleep during the day on our bed only to walk past the room 15 mins later and he's laying there awake lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't read the article but agree my life got so much better when I stopped stressing about how much sleep DD was getting and trying to get her to nap beyond what she wanted to do. It's almost funny to think the amount of time I spent trying to get a baby, who would wake after 15-20 mins happy and smiling, back to sleep! Same as PP, long naps didn't start til she dropped down to 1 nap at 12months and was walking.

This time around I feel like I'm ready for anything as DD blew all preconceptions about what babies "should" do out the window!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I never stressed about either of my kids catnapping! Sure enough, both grew out of it and now I have two perfect sleepers (DS is nearly 6yo and DD is nearly 15mo). Most days DD's nap is about 1.5 hours and she sleeps through the night from 7pm to about 6:30 (sometimes more like 5:30-6am).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure I agree!! I had a bad catnapper then enlisted the help of a sleep lady and now I have a great sleeper. Changed our lives literally for the better. I now have a bub that sleeps 10-12 hours a night instead of waking every 2 hours and instead of multiple 40min day naps she now has 2-3 decent 1.5-2.5 hour sleep!! You just need the right advice and help and support and determination!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by shelleyq View Post
    Not sure I agree!! I had a bad catnapper then enlisted the help of a sleep lady and now I have a great sleeper. Changed our lives literally for the better. I now have a bub that sleeps 10-12 hours a night instead of waking every 2 hours and instead of multiple 40min day naps she now has 2-3 decent 1.5-2.5 hour sleep!! You just need the right advice and help and support and determination!!
    The article is talking about day naps.

I had 2 catnappers, but both slept great at night. My third baby is a bit of a catnapper, and at 8 weeks old is by far my best night sleeper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The article is talking about day naps.

I had 2 catnappers, but both slept great at night. My third baby is a bit of a catnapper, and at 8 weeks old is by far my best night sleeper.
    I am aware it was about day naps and as I dais my girl has learnt to change from day catnaps of 30-40 mins to having 2 x 1.5-2.5 hour sleeps! Not every baby is the same but I still state that I dont quite agree that you cant chnage a cat-napping baby's sleep habits.

Thanks
    Reviews

I am aware it was about day naps and as I dais my girl has learnt to change from day catnaps of 30-40 mins to having 2 x 1.5-2.5 hour sleeps! Not every baby is the same but I still state that I dont quite agree that you cant chnage a cat-napping baby's sleep habits.
    How did you change your catnapper? I have a bad day and night sleeper, sounds the same as yours. Not far off getting help. Would love done advice as to what you did to get better day and night sleep. 🙏

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did consult professional help as I tried all the tricks in all the books and tried advice from other parents but nothing seemed to work for my girl and I wasnt prepared to let her go on being sleep deprived. Best money I ever spent since she was born. The lady found the one thing that soothed her when she was laid down to sleep and you stay with them until they are asleep. The first few days and nights were tough but after being properly educated by the lady on baby sleep patterns and needs etc I was able to push through the hard moments so I now have amazing results! My girl sleeps up to 12 hours at night and has 2 day sleeps of decent time. Its not perfect - every now and then she has a bad day and has 3 short naps but still has a great nights sleep so for me that's a massive win. Do not be afriad to get the help - you wont regret it!

Thanks
    Reviews

If you dont mind me asking, Where abouts are you? Who did you use for your help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did consult professional help as I tried all the tricks in all the books and tried advice from other parents but nothing seemed to work for my girl and I wasnt prepared to let her go on being sleep deprived. Best money I ever spent since she was born. The lady found the one thing that soothed her when she was laid down to sleep and you stay with them until they are asleep. The first few days and nights were tough but after being properly educated by the lady on baby sleep patterns and needs etc I was able to push through the hard moments so I now have amazing results! My girl sleeps up to 12 hours at night and has 2 day sleeps of decent time. Its not perfect - every now and then she has a bad day and has 3 short naps but still has a great nights sleep so for me that's a massive win. Do not be afriad to get the help - you wont regret it!
    I read varying information. I do believe you can change a catnapper to becoming a good napper as some books say (eg Elizabeth Pantley's No cry sleep solution). It mentions if you can resettle the baby to get longer sleep, gradually the baby can adjust to nap longer. And definitely engaging professional help if we really see the need can help most babies, but it must involve a lot of heart-wrenching crying. I already feel like a mean mum standing by the cot patting and ssshhing while my baby is crying to sleep for 10 minutes, I cannot imagine more crying than that and done by a stranger. I think I will cry.

Yet I also believe some babies' sleep pattern is just like that - catnapping. We can try trial and error here and there but ultimately we must decide where our comfort level is and when to stop. And yes remembering to enjoy our baby is most important.

My DS1 was a catnapper but DS2 naps very well. I am not sure what I have done differently but this round I think being educated much more about babies' sleep pattern, routine, watching for tired signs etc etc makes a difference to how I help him. However my two sons are still just two unique individuals so there is not much conclusion!

shelleyq, may I ask how old was your baby when you got the professional?