+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Brisbane
    Posts
    766
    Thanks
    220
    Thanked
    119
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default To those struggling with a catnapper.

    DS2 is a catnapper. It's so frustrating. I will put him down for a sleep during the day on our bed only to walk past the room 15 mins later and he's laying there awake lol.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,109
    Thanks
    1,604
    Thanked
    2,086
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't read the article but agree my life got so much better when I stopped stressing about how much sleep DD was getting and trying to get her to nap beyond what she wanted to do. It's almost funny to think the amount of time I spent trying to get a baby, who would wake after 15-20 mins happy and smiling, back to sleep! Same as PP, long naps didn't start til she dropped down to 1 nap at 12months and was walking.

    This time around I feel like I'm ready for anything as DD blew all preconceptions about what babies "should" do out the window!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    14,668
    Thanks
    1,208
    Thanked
    3,842
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I never stressed about either of my kids catnapping! Sure enough, both grew out of it and now I have two perfect sleepers (DS is nearly 6yo and DD is nearly 15mo). Most days DD's nap is about 1.5 hours and she sleeps through the night from 7pm to about 6:30 (sometimes more like 5:30-6am).

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    1
    Reviews
    0
    Not sure I agree!! I had a bad catnapper then enlisted the help of a sleep lady and now I have a great sleeper. Changed our lives literally for the better. I now have a bub that sleeps 10-12 hours a night instead of waking every 2 hours and instead of multiple 40min day naps she now has 2-3 decent 1.5-2.5 hour sleep!! You just need the right advice and help and support and determination!!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default To those struggling with a catnapper.

    Quote Originally Posted by shelleyq View Post
    Not sure I agree!! I had a bad catnapper then enlisted the help of a sleep lady and now I have a great sleeper. Changed our lives literally for the better. I now have a bub that sleeps 10-12 hours a night instead of waking every 2 hours and instead of multiple 40min day naps she now has 2-3 decent 1.5-2.5 hour sleep!! You just need the right advice and help and support and determination!!
    The article is talking about day naps.

    I had 2 catnappers, but both slept great at night. My third baby is a bit of a catnapper, and at 8 weeks old is by far my best night sleeper.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    1
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The article is talking about day naps.

    I had 2 catnappers, but both slept great at night. My third baby is a bit of a catnapper, and at 8 weeks old is by far my best night sleeper.
    I am aware it was about day naps and as I dais my girl has learnt to change from day catnaps of 30-40 mins to having 2 x 1.5-2.5 hour sleeps! Not every baby is the same but I still state that I dont quite agree that you cant chnage a cat-napping baby's sleep habits.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Millthorpe
    Posts
    155
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    15
    Reviews
    0

    Default To those struggling with a catnapper.

    Quote Originally Posted by shelleyq View Post
    I am aware it was about day naps and as I dais my girl has learnt to change from day catnaps of 30-40 mins to having 2 x 1.5-2.5 hour sleeps! Not every baby is the same but I still state that I dont quite agree that you cant chnage a cat-napping baby's sleep habits.
    How did you change your catnapper? I have a bad day and night sleeper, sounds the same as yours. Not far off getting help. Would love done advice as to what you did to get better day and night sleep. 🙏

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    1
    Reviews
    0
    I did consult professional help as I tried all the tricks in all the books and tried advice from other parents but nothing seemed to work for my girl and I wasnt prepared to let her go on being sleep deprived. Best money I ever spent since she was born. The lady found the one thing that soothed her when she was laid down to sleep and you stay with them until they are asleep. The first few days and nights were tough but after being properly educated by the lady on baby sleep patterns and needs etc I was able to push through the hard moments so I now have amazing results! My girl sleeps up to 12 hours at night and has 2 day sleeps of decent time. Its not perfect - every now and then she has a bad day and has 3 short naps but still has a great nights sleep so for me that's a massive win. Do not be afriad to get the help - you wont regret it!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Millthorpe
    Posts
    155
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    15
    Reviews
    0

    Default To those struggling with a catnapper.

    If you dont mind me asking, Where abouts are you? Who did you use for your help?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,345
    Thanks
    421
    Thanked
    86
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelleyq View Post
    I did consult professional help as I tried all the tricks in all the books and tried advice from other parents but nothing seemed to work for my girl and I wasnt prepared to let her go on being sleep deprived. Best money I ever spent since she was born. The lady found the one thing that soothed her when she was laid down to sleep and you stay with them until they are asleep. The first few days and nights were tough but after being properly educated by the lady on baby sleep patterns and needs etc I was able to push through the hard moments so I now have amazing results! My girl sleeps up to 12 hours at night and has 2 day sleeps of decent time. Its not perfect - every now and then she has a bad day and has 3 short naps but still has a great nights sleep so for me that's a massive win. Do not be afriad to get the help - you wont regret it!
    I read varying information. I do believe you can change a catnapper to becoming a good napper as some books say (eg Elizabeth Pantley's No cry sleep solution). It mentions if you can resettle the baby to get longer sleep, gradually the baby can adjust to nap longer. And definitely engaging professional help if we really see the need can help most babies, but it must involve a lot of heart-wrenching crying. I already feel like a mean mum standing by the cot patting and ssshhing while my baby is crying to sleep for 10 minutes, I cannot imagine more crying than that and done by a stranger. I think I will cry.

    Yet I also believe some babies' sleep pattern is just like that - catnapping. We can try trial and error here and there but ultimately we must decide where our comfort level is and when to stop. And yes remembering to enjoy our baby is most important.

    My DS1 was a catnapper but DS2 naps very well. I am not sure what I have done differently but this round I think being educated much more about babies' sleep pattern, routine, watching for tired signs etc etc makes a difference to how I help him. However my two sons are still just two unique individuals so there is not much conclusion!

    shelleyq, may I ask how old was your baby when you got the professional?


 

Similar Threads

  1. Really struggling lately...
    By onedayatatime in forum Stay At Home Mums (SAHMs) Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-10-2012, 21:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
KindyROO
KindyROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available at three Brisbane and two Gold Coast locations. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!