+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone here growing Garlic?

I'm thinking about growing my own garlic.
    I know that I just have to plant cloves and wait until harvesting time (I will prep the soil ect beforehand) but I'm just wondering if anyone else here who grows it dries it out afterwards?

I've watched some youtube videos though the people making the videos are overseas most of the time and hang their garlic in the basement on racks of some kind? I don't really have a dark, dry place to hang them in or around my house so wondering if there is something else I can do to help prep them after I harvest them?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Not sure where you are but garlic can be very hard to grow. Definitely a challenge in Qld. Good luck! wish I could grow it, I love garlic.

Thanks
    Reviews

I planted Garlic in June 2011 and it's still not grown right

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh wow, okay. thanks for your quick replies! thats the other thing i was wondering.. in every video i watch it says to plant garlic around the end of march (equinox or something??) but then i read somewhere else that ideal time to sow is around august..

i'm in brisbane, qld. i'd use a raised garden bed to grow it with liquid seaweed, blood and bone mixed in with soil.. i've read and heard that it's meant to be one of the easiest things to grow so i appreciate reading your comments .. at least i wont be disappointed when/if nothing happens! lol

so do you think it is the humidity that makes it so hard to grow? Plan2bamummy have you had any success with them at all, if not completely right?

Thanks again!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I dont know if the bulbs are growing. the foliage on top seems to be still going strong. From what I gather it's a chemical reaction that starts the bulb growing, this reaction is caused by the cold, I too am in brisbane and not sure if it got cold enough. I have heard if you put the bulb in the fridge before planting this is a way of cheating lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes I believe it's the cold that is needed and unfortunately Qld weather isn't always the best in the way of cold.

I know people who are very grow your own savvy and just cannot get it to grow here, while I know others in south nsw who haven't had any trouble.

I would be planting it more April tbh. But I can't grow it either so I'm really of no help lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (31-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grow a plot of garlic every year but I'm in canberra so weather is very different.

In theory, you plant on shortest day of the year harvest on longest day. I plant around March to May from memory. Harvest when the leaves start to die back, which is usually around December.

Plant the largest best looking cloves from a bulb of garlic. Big healthy looking cloves give big healthy looking garlic. I just plant regular store brought cloves, usually left out on my kitchen bench to sprout a bit first. Try to use it when you can just start to see the first pointy sprouts coming out just under the surface, but not actually broken the surface. Plant pointy side up about 10cm under the dirt. My dirt is not overly worked or anything, just the regular vegie patch once my summer vegies die off.

Don't use elephant garlic. I did this year and it will just give you a single onion looking bulb. Plant the onion looking bulb the following year and you'll get a full bulb of garlic but that means 2 years to get a garlic!

Don't water for the week before you harvest. Pull out and leave to dry.Don't wash them, just dust the dirt off. Many of mine are just left on the back table on the deck for a few days to dry out and then I chop the tops off and put into a bowl in a draw in the kitchen. I have some others strung up in the garage and some in the linen cupboard (not recommended, they do stink a bit).

As I said, I"m in canberra so totally different conditions, but Garlic is the easiest thing I've managed to grow and so delicious to have home grown garlic.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HeyMissA For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (04-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

So jealous

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Plan2bamummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    One tip I heard was to not use the white bleached garlic, it is treated with a growth inhibitor. If it has a purple colour, its fine.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mousky For This Useful Post: