+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    We have had our pool in for a few months now. We live in the tropics so 6mths of the year it is hot and humid (it was 42 today with 100% humidity) so we use it every day and usually a few times a day including night time. We have a pool blanket for the cooler season, the cool season it's about 28 degrees. Not sure how often we will use it in the cooler season yet but we already know it's worthwhile. Our pool is 8x4. My advice is to not cut costs, eg buy good quality pool fencing and pavers, get pavers laid properly. We also have a shade sail over our pool. Total cost $60,000
    Oh and as far as running costs and cleaning - we have a pool company come once a month, $75 to check the levels, top us with what is required, clean filter, backwash etc. We check the levels in between. We have a good quality pool cleaner robot thingy that we turn on as required. We have had 2 electricity bills and we haven't noticed a difference really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No idea about cost but re heating (keep in mind I'm in Adelaide!) my aunt has solar heating (fiberglass pool) and we do use it a bit earlier in the year then my grandparents cement/tiled pool that just has a blanket thingo.

That said, grandparents pool is in full shade pretty much all day and is 'up the hill' from aunts so there is always more wind and it's generally cooler.

I hate cold water, and was very happy in grandparents pool late this arvo on a 30degree day

3. The Following User Says Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

wktz  (31-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Putting in a swimming pool

I was 'project manager' for my mums new pool going in earlier this year. From memory the pool itself was around $20-25k fibreglass, a small pool as not heaps of room. Electrics $1000 (pumps, lighting in pool, earthing the glass fence etc) fencing $10k ish (sooooooo many regulations!!), various permits, concreting around the pool and re-doing pergola so it matched again around $10k+.

The actual pool going in only took a couple of days but all the cr@p that went with it took weeks and weeks. And co-ordinating the trades was a PITA so I definitely recommend getting a company who has connections to help organise the whole project.

It gets used quite regularly but was also put in as something nice to look at. I think she's out there cleaning it most days but mums a clean freak lol.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

wktz  (31-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have just put in a pool it cost us 22k for the pool and installation it's a 7 x 3 metre pool, that price included shell, full installation (plumbers, electrician etc), pool blanket, creepy crawly, bullnose, heating pipes (not heated but have the points) party colour led pool light and upgrade salt chlorination. The paving we have is limestone and opal border which cost 2.3k DH will lay and pool fencing cost us $650 as we only needed to put a small section up. So far we have been in it almost everyday. Especially with 40degree days. This was from a reputable company also. I can't tell you running costs as we are yet to have a bill.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winterbaby For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (04-01-2013),wktz  (31-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

We are getting a pool, fiberglass 3x6m.
    It's costing us $18k which includes installation, bullnose paving, upgraded pool pump (environmentally friendly, apparently costs $92 to run a year), all the maintenance things, pool blanket, and it also automatically tests the water and adds the acid/salt as needed. We got a $5k bonus though which is why everything I mention above is included.

No idea anout fencing at this point in time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tannedangel For This Useful Post:

wktz  (31-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

We got one put in b4 our back yard was done, we use it much more now DD is older (3)
    7x3 fibreglass, paving, glass fencing, bullnose around edge, pipe work for heater and water fall about $30,000.

Running our power bill in summer is quite high but can't compare as we have always had it.
    Them just chemicals and cleaning

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tjewell For This Useful Post:

wktz  (31-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up with an in ground chlorinated fiberglass pool. My neighbor has salt. I prefer the salt, to be honest. It smells better, and I feel fresher and less chemically after getting out. Like, after a swim in the salt, I can dry off and dress, but after being in chlorine, I need a shower before I dress.

Honestly? If you get a pool, get one with a freaking lip! It's like a lizard graveyard... the lizards are running, and the next thing they know, they are in the water... and they drown. And of course, as girls, we would all scream and refuse to swim.
    We've also had possums drown in that pool too.

If you get a pool, you'll need shade, so don't forget to factor that in if you need shade cloth. A pool in the direct sun is too hot for swimming, a pool with too much shade ie undercover will be a bit too refreshing. I'd suggest getting a pool cover too, especially since you're in WA. It'll help with evaporation and keeping the leaves off...

I never really used the pool a lot, because I'm an only child and I hate swimming alone. I'm 23, and that pool has been there since we moved in.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Missbean For This Useful Post:

wktz  (31-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Missbean View Post
    Honestly? If you get a pool, get one with a freaking lip! It's like a lizard graveyard... the lizards are running, and the next thing they know, they are in the water... and they drown. And of course, as girls, we would all scream and refuse to swim.
    We've also had possums drown in that pool too.

If you get a pool, you'll need shade, so don't forget to factor that in if you need shade cloth. A pool in the direct sun is too hot for swimming, a pool with too much shade ie undercover will be a bit too refreshing. I'd suggest getting a pool cover too, especially since you're in WA. It'll help with evaporation and keeping the leaves
    Lol what's a lizard lip?. We don't have many lizards around here (the water dragon that was here from time to time when we moved in decided to relocate to the park at the back when it saw our dogs....sorry lizard) but we do have lots of geckos. I quite like the geckos, I don't want them drowning!

I have thought of shade too, and will definitely have to sort out something there. Myself and dd2 are far too white to be able to cope with much sunlight!

I'm actually in Brisbane - it sounds as though costs in Perth are fairly reasonable though!. I'll have to start making some calls to local places I guess and see what we would be up for. I'd be rapt if we could get something below the $30k mark!

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Wktz - I was reading a magazine this morning (current Home Beautiful I think) and there was a lovely home and they had put in one of these which looked pretty good and was relatively low cost http://www.australianplungepools.com.au/ and quick too.

Just thought I'd mention it
    Cheers

Eta - page 98 Home Beautiful Jan 2013
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 31-12-2012 at 08:42. Reason: Adding

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wktz View Post
    Lol what's a lizard lip?. We don't have many lizards around here (the water dragon that was here from time to time when we moved in decided to relocate to the park at the back when it saw our dogs....sorry lizard) but we do have lots of geckos. I quite like the geckos, I don't want them drowning!
    errr. I didn't say lizard lip. Just lip. Like a foot above ground or something, instead of flush to the ground like ours is.