+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Putting in a swimming pool

Hi Everyone,

Ok, so it may be that the heat is getting to me, but my girls have started hassling us (again) for a swimming pool, and much as I really dont think we can afford it I have started to sort of half consider it

We have been at friends places with pools for the past few days and the kids have loved it. They are 6 and 3 now, so I would hope that if we did get one it would get used for quite a while. So for anyone who has done this, can you please let me know

a) does your pool get used often enough to make it worthwhile
    b) what sort of pool did you get and why (leaning towards fibreglass as it appears to be cheaper and easier, but I really have no idea so am open to any ideas!)
    c) what was the ball park cost of buying and installing (including fencing etc)
    d) what are running costs like
    e) how much time and effort does it take to maintain

and anything else you can think of please

IF we did end up getting one (although I really suspect cost is going to be a prohibitive factor) we would go salt water over chlorine as my DD has eczema. We have room to put in a reasonable sized pool, sort of 8 x 4m kind of thing. Im reading conflicting stories about whether heating is worth it or not - I hate the cold and its got to be pretty warm for me to get wet, but the kids dont seem to notice if its freezing. We do live in Brisbane so its usually fairly warm over summer and Im thinking (hoping!) a pool blanket might be enough to keep the temperature above arctic levels

Thanks heaps for any information - this is something weve talked about in the past but never looked into seriously so I dont really know where to start. If anyone can recommend any good pool people in Brisbane too Id love to hear it!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My mil has a pool, during those few hot weeks in summer we will go over for a swim. They hardly use it, my 12 yr old bil maybe uses it once a month in summer.
    When family comes over from nz they will use it ( even if it's winter lol)
    Other family friends also have a pool and use it about the same.
    I would say it gets used maybe 50 days a year ( remember only 12 weekends in summer, doesn't get used during the week unless it's a public holiday).
    On positive note it could add alot of value to your property, if cost is factor maybe get a valuation pre pool and ask what the value would be if you had a pool. If value is more than the cost of pool then it's an investment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Putting in a swimming pool

we have a pool and our kids use it heaps. def worth it. had it 6 yrs so novelty hasn't worn off.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have just put in a fibreglass 7 x 3.6m pool. Including EVERYTHING, we wouldn't of got change out of $65k. We were advised by a few people that what ever the quote is that you get then to at least add another half. Ours was just over, but that was by choice. My hubby is also very handy, so did electrical, some plumbing and alot of the landscaping himself.

I also will not swim in cold water. We bought a heat pump to go in. It is fantastic. You can set the temp and it regulates. We have a pool cover to help hold the heat and for evaporation. We bought an infloor cleaning system, so requires next to no cleaning and it is fully automated. Our pool is salt water. We also put in glass fencing and used travertine tiles. If we chose not to have the extras and did normal fencing and tiles, that could of saved maybe $15k.

But realistically, the best advice we did get was to add another half from the quote. As I said, we still did go over that a little, but that was by choice.

We have yet to get a bill, but I'm expecting about an extra $500 a quarter for the first one and then hopefully drop to about $300 extra a quarter.

We have 3 kiddies, aged 6, 3 and 1. They love it. I was freaking about the cost, but now it's over and done with and we are in it, we all love it. We now see it as a lifestyle change and love having people over...

ETA With the heat pump, you will use the pool alot more than just summer. We were at IL's the other day and the kids jumped in and they were all lucky to be in the pool for half an hour as the water was too cold. You won't have that issue with heating. Ours was really only ready in November and we did use it after school.
    Last edited by 3InATub; 30-12-2012 at 21:37.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3InATub For This Useful Post:

JessicaBailey  (02-01-2013),wktz  (30-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our friends yesterday said that their kids are in there several times a day which got me thinking, but you're right, it's holidays at the moment and I didn't ask whether they use it during a normal week after school etc. good point - thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks 3inatub - that kind of confirms what I was thinking, but yikes it is expensive isn't it!.

I agree with you that it's a lifestyle thing though.....so now to try and work out the balance, would we use it enough to make the $$ worthwhile!

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

When I was younger my parents put in a pool and because my sister and brother were around 14 and 16 they were in there every morning before school and after school the rest of us went in and we in weekends so if you're planning on being at your place for many years, it could be well worth it.
    My dads neighbour also has always had a pool (it'd be about 25 years old now) and they're still using it every day.
    I so honestly think it would be a good investment, but I'm no use on cost or anything as I haven't done it myself, I just have experience with how often we used it here (I'm also in NSW so it doesn't get as hot here for as long but anything above 20 degrees and we were in that pool lol)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to αληθη For This Useful Post:

wktz  (30-12-2012)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We have put in a few pools. This one was quite expensive (we did travertine too, large water feature, spa seat, glass fencing) but our kids are in it all the time, it's great when we entertain or when the kids have friends over and it looks great from inside the house in the cooler months. Ours gets used from September through to April. We did put the plumbing in for solar heating but haven't done the full install.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

wktz  (30-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have had our pool in for a few months now. We live in the tropics so 6mths of the year it is hot and humid (it was 42 today with 100% humidity) so we use it every day and usually a few times a day including night time. We have a pool blanket for the cooler season, the cool season it's about 28 degrees. Not sure how often we will use it in the cooler season yet but we already know it's worthwhile. Our pool is 8x4. My advice is to not cut costs, eg buy good quality pool fencing and pavers, get pavers laid properly. We also have a shade sail over our pool. Total cost $60,000

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

wktz  (30-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We couldn't live without our pool. Our children are in there everyday before and after school and all day during holidays/weekends. We live on the GC and the children swim the whole year round except June/July without any heating. It cost us about $30k (10x4m pebble) six years ago but it's been worth every cent.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sassy For This Useful Post:

wktz  (30-12-2012)