+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you think this is unfair? *long*

I need some additional opinions here.

I just had my 5th baby a week ago. So in addition to a 14 year old I have 4 under 5.

Dh and I also work full time our business from home. Our 4, 3 and 2 year olds go to daycare 4 - 5 days.

Anyway due to all this being very hectic I wanted to get an au pair to give some live in help. Dh then had the idea or getting his brother over from Fiji to help instead.

I was against this as he is an unknown without quals etc
    And I didn't feel i would be comfortable asking him to do things.

So my preference was very much to get someone here already who had experience etc (and female). However due to never making up our minds basically we ended up getting his brother - we paid and organised for his visa and plane fares so out about a grand immediately.

I have never net the brother before and dh has met him twice though his sister knows him better (different mothers)

So he gets here a week ago and it's all very uncertain as clearly dh has not explained to him what he should be doing . Basically he has been doing a couple hours cleaning a day and a small amount of helping dh with the kids. I ended up with an emergency c- section and dh has a bad knee and not in the best health currently so has been struggling.

As far as I am concerned I think this is not working and we should get a professional as I just want to be sure the kids are looked after properly. I would like to take them out of daycare one more day a week and stagger the care that day with the nanny (I have to work too) and can't see it happening on this scenario.

Yesterday he asked if it was ok for him to go to a cousins and dh said yes. He said he wod be back this mornings but still hasn't returned.

This has been tough for dh as he is so tired he is falling asleep where he sits which isn't safe when in charge of children and I am obviously breastfeeding a newborn, a week out from c sec and tired myself.

I don't know whether we owe it to the brother to press on go the to make it work or whether its best to cut losses and interview and take on someone new, which will be awkward as we will need his room

Please advise!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I understand things can get very difficult where family is concerned, but I would say to cut your losses and take on someone new.

From the sounds of things, that's what you wanted all along. You've given this scenario a shot, and it's not working out for you. With 5 kids, your own home business, and recovering from surgery, I think your first priority should be yourselves - and whatever makes life easier for you.

I understand that you may feel some responsibility toward the brother, but the impression I get is that you need some immediate assistance and respite - and you're not going to get that unless you can hand over to someone qualified who you trust and feel comfortable with.

Do what works for you here. It's a bit like the analogy they give on aeroplanes: you have to put your own oxygen mask on before you can help other people.

Hope that makes sense, and that you can get some help soon.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks girl x ... I feel like a b1tch but I need things running smoothly .

It's hard as I don't feel we can just pack him off back to Fiji

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I understand things can get very difficult where family is concerned, but I would say to cut your losses and take on someone new.

From the sounds of things, that's what you wanted all along. You've given this scenario a shot, and it's not working out for you. With 5 kids, your own home business, and recovering from surgery, I think your first priority should be yourselves - and whatever makes life easier for you.

I understand that you may feel some responsibility toward the brother, but the impression I get is that you need some immediate assistance and respite - and you're not going to get that unless you can hand over to someone qualified who you trust and feel comfortable with.

Do what works for you here. It's a bit like the analogy they give on aeroplanes: you have to put your own oxygen mask on before you can help other people.

Hope that makes sense, and that you can get some help soon.
    I agree with this.

If you do feel guilty about your BIL then perhaps get your hubby to give him a very clear outline of what you expected from him - if he isn't up for that them cut your losses and find someone who can help you the way you need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're not being a b1tch at all. I think you've gone above and beyond in trying to give his brother a shot, when you've just had a baby and have lots of things to juggle!

You've paid for his flights, so it doesn't sound as if he would be out of pocket.

If ever there's a time to look after yourselves and what makes you feel comfortable (and helps you survive) then it's right now! You're sounding like super woman to me.

Thanks
    Reviews

Could he stay with other relatives if u put him off and hire someone new? Maybe say while ur out here have a bit of a holiday sorry it didn't work out, how about u stay with .....?

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with Girl x. Would he want to stay and make a new life here? Can your Dh give him so support in finding work and a place to live.

I would talk to your BIL - he may be feeling it is not working for him too?

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes I told dh perhaps explain to him we really need a nanny and he can stay on the couch in the office if necessary or hopefully with someone else but I guess I feel we need to take some responsibility for the situation as expectations weren't made clear. (We are giving him an allowance too and obviously room and board )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It is really tricky but I think you really need to cut him off and get a professional. Perhaps if your DH sits down with him and tells him it isn't working, thank you for coming and so sorry to have put you out but we really need someone more experienced etc. He might be feeling overwhelmed with the tasks, hence disappearing for a while, and could feel quietly relieved to be going back to Fiji.
    It obviously won't be easy but sounds like things can't go on as they are.

Thanks
    Reviews

He wouldn't be able to stay here as aus is very hard on Fijian visitors - I had to provide my bank balances, marriage certificate and all sorts of things just to get him a visitor visa