+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default anyone flown with tiger airways??

I'm planning a trip from Brisbane to Sydney in the new year and the cheapest flights are with tiger followed by jetstar. any feedback of either of these airways?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Tiger are hideous. If everything works well its a bargain. But if it doesn't... Awful.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (31-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Watching the Australian airport show should put everyone off Tiger

Have flown jetstar a few times with no issues

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Avoid, like plague.

Jetstar I have heard very few complaints (my mum chooses them over the others )

Thanks
    Reviews

Fly Mel to Syd return with no problems

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I recently had a trip from Brisbane to Sydney (and back) and flew Jetstar there and Tiger back. A couple of years ago I flew Brisbane to Melbourne (and back) and flew Tiger down and Jetstar back. So I think I'm in a good position to compare the two.

----------

Tiger is very obviously a budget airline - and you get what you pay for.

They'll get you from A-B and that is about it.

There is no inflight entertainment, no newspaper in the seat pocket (but there is a magazine) and when you arrive at your destination, you will be at the most obscure out-of-the-way corner of the airport.

However, for a short trip, in my opinion the cost saving is a worthwhile tradeoff for the lack of extras, so I'll take tiger if they are cheaper.

----------

Conversely Jetstar is not a budget airline anymore. There is a TV screen in the back of the seat in front of you with 25 channels, and you are provided with free earphones to listen to it, and there is a newspaper in the seat pocket. There is also about double the legroom as Tiger Airlines, so that may be important for you as well.

Edit - based on other responders, it seems that I was lucky to get a really good flight, and these extras aren't the norm.

Edit2 - actually thinking about it I think I might be mistaken. It might've been Virgin that I flew back with all the nice extras (and still paid less than $100 for my ticket).

--------------

So in short, if cost is all that matters, fly Tiger, otherwise go with Jetstar.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 30-12-2012 at 18:24.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Reviews are also agreeing:
    http://www.productreview.com.au/p/tiger-airways.html <- tiger airways

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've never actually travelled with Tiger. We did have tickets booked with them. We had planned to go Cairns - Melb for a wedding (down Saturday AM, back Sunday PM - Tiger only had one flight a day). They cancelled our Cairns - Melb leg on the Saturday morning. They then would only refund the Saturday flights even though we couldn't use the Sunday flights because we never got to Melbourne (with them or any other carrier). Took about 9 months and several phone calls to get our money back too. If you decide to use them be prepared to take the risk.

Otherwise we've used Jetstar alot (Cairns to Bris or Cairns to Melb) and they are an OK short-trip carrier.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post

----------

Conversely Jetstar is not a budget airline anymore. There is a TV screen in the back of the seat in front of you with 25 channels, and you are provided with free earphones to listen to it, and there is a newspaper in the seat pocket.
    I think that depends though on the leg you are flying. I have flown with Jetstar four times this year and only had the screen once and never had a newspaper in over 12 Jetstar flts in the last couple of years.

Eta - and just asked my husband who flew Jetstar a couple of weeks ago and no, no newspaper and no screen for him either both ways.
    Maybe we are just unlucky!

OP - I wouldn't fly Tiger just on the basis of all the reviews available on the net

Thanks
    Reviews
    For a flight that length, I would say go for it! Just don't have high expectations!!!