+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I bought Roc for my son this year and he got the whole year out of them.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default School shoes - cheepies or brand name?

I go brand names and properly fitted. Not only because she wears them so much at school, but also because we walk to and from school often and I want the best support for her feet. I wouldn't dream of buying cheapies for myself so there is no way I'd expect my DDs developing feet to wear them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My podiatrist said so long as they have good support in the heel ( not the arch, this is a myth) it dosnt matter if they are cheap or expensive. However, he did recommend Nike or reebok and of course cheaper ones are more likely to wear out quicker.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: School shoes - cheepies or brand name?

Actually I do remember a friend mentioning Ascent brand might have yet find them

Thanks
    Reviews
    We bought DS Clark's sneakers and were horrified at how quickly they got tattered and started coming apart. They looked shocking before even 1 term was done. By June I went to cheapies and as others said they feel apart in about a month but I wanted to see what would happen. We ended up buying him Brooks as he has quite a narrow foot and so far they are going really well. There is some wearing on the soles but he is tough on shoes and is in them so much I guess it can happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love Garvalin shoes .. Great quality and super cute!! .. Although my girl is only just turning 4 next month .. So not sure if they do prep sizes ..

Thanks
    Reviews

I've spent $70 on shoes and they last a few months, I've spent $10 and they last a few months. I hate buying school shoes.

Thanks
    Reviews

This year I bought DS a $70 pair of lynx sneakers. They lasted a semester - they actually fell apart. I was so grumpy about it! Next pair were $20 from big w. They lasted the rest of the year and are still ok so he'll be able to wear them next year (but who knows for how long). So in my limited experience the cheapies have won out.

For next year I also need to get him formal black lace up school shoes. I'll probably end up with the expensive option for those.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm going to go against the grain a bit here and say cheapies.

DD started school last year and I was lucky enough to be selected to trail Clarks fitting system and DD got a pair of $120 Clarkes Platinum school shoes to keep.

She had absolutely battered them within the first term. Seriously, the straps had split and they were a mess. I'd have been soooo annoyed if I'd actually paid for them.

So then I bought her a $35 pair from Target. She tells me they're much more comfortable and they've lasted the 3 remaining terms to the point where I'm debating whether she needs a new pair to start this year in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought a pair of mary jane style shoes from Betts Kids which lasted the whole year and are even good enough to hand down. A lot of the parents that bought cheapies had to go and buy a few pairs during the year so I didn't mind spending more. DD2 starts prep this year and we just bought shoes the other day for both girls at around $80 a pair. For their runners, I found black light weight Spalding shoes in Target which are fantastic. (My 4 all have a colourful pair of these for running so it was great to see they were in black too!).