+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default School shoes - cheepies or brand name?

Hi guys, so my Son starts prep next year and we need to get black joggers with velcro... Id prefer to get a good brand, what do you recommend, is there much difference between the cheap ones and the "brand" names?
    Last edited by Happy2be3; 30-12-2012 at 12:38.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    If you want a good brand, head to a proper shoe shop and have him fitted

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I get my girls either nikes or asics

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I used to work at Athletes Foot and we had lots of parents swear by the Ascent brand.

I had no name shoes growing up and I much prefer getting a proper fitting and good shoes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: School shoes - cheepies or brand name?

I wouldn't skimp on school shoes considering how often their little feet will be in them.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd say buy the best shoes you can afford. Remember your child will be spending 8+ hours a day 5 days a week in these shoes and probably walking long distances. You don't want shoes that cause pain/discomfort as you'd probably have to replace them anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my DD just finished prep, we bought both cheapies and name brand ones and honestly, she ruined the cheapies in less then a term (went through 2 pairs of shoes first term) and then spent the rest of the year in the name brand ones, which she outgrew in 4th term.

If you want to be able to replace them each term/2 terms so they don't get the old scuffed look then go cheapies because they will fall apart before getting the scuffed/crap look to them, but if you want something they will outgrow before completely falling apart go good quality ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

I find more expensive ones definitely go the distance as opposed to cheapies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have tried the real cheapies, good brand name ones and cheaper brand name ones over the years.

I think whats best will vary depending on your childs feet.

For DD#1 for example I found that anything other than Clarks is awful for her feet. Tried a middle of the range type shoe for her once which was professionally fitted and it made a huge mess of her feet. I tried Grosby's too and they weren't good for her feet. After that I will only buy Clarks for her. They last really well and she gets a whole year out of them.

For DD#2 & DD#3 I have tried the really really cheap ones like Kmart etc. They worked out pretty good the first year we tried them and one pair tended to last about a term but would look quite scuffed by the end of the term. I had trouble getting new pairs for the 4th term though so you would have to get the spares earlier in the year. Grosby's were ok (got them for 4th term last year) but needed to be replaced after about 5 months. I tried the cheapies again this year after that but they were no good at all and only lasted a couple of weeks before falling apart even though they were the same exact shoes we got last year.

I decided to just get Clarks from now on with my twins as well as DD#1. That way they will last the whole year and I wont have to try and find replacements when they are harder to find.

eta: I tried the Athletes Foot Ascent brand black sneakers once too and they seemed ok. They wore them the whole year but they really looked a mess by the end of the year. I have heard that Roc are pretty good too.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 30-12-2012 at 13:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My LO went through 3 cheapies in their first term of school, it was a disaster...

now i buy nike's and they last all year