+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do you keep your house clean without cleaning all the time?

I think you either need to do what you are doing or embrace the chaos?

There was recently a quote doing the rounds on FB 'kids, clean house or sanity... You can only pick two!'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I actually think it was easier for me to keep the house clean when I was working- because the kids and I weren't home as much!!!

Now I am working from home, and that means I am home more- more dishes, more toys to pack away etc!

I try to have someone over every week or so, and do a mad clean up before hand!

Thanks
    Reviews

I just do things each day as things need doing. I do a big clean of bathrooms/toilets/floors at least once a week, but that doesn't mean it doesn't get done on an as needs basis during the week too.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I do things as they need doing. I'm slightly OCD though (to DPs immense amusement lol) so I can't go to bed without the kitchen all clean and dishwasher stacked.

The toilet is cleaned daily as I have two boys - 'nuff said lol.

Coffee table and dining table are wiped down after every meal.

Beds made every morning.

Bathroom bench wiped down after my shower in the morning and then after the kids have brushed their teeth at night.

Washing gets done as needed :-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

Lil Bugs Mummy  (31-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I do a big job per day (usually lol), then just stay on top of the laundry and tidying . So one day I might clean the floors and as well as do the laundry and tidy up, another I will clean the bathrooms and do the laundry and tidy up

I clean the kitchen when I'm cooking (while waiting for things to cook), and I fold the laundry while I'm getting it off the line (this saves heaps of time and keeps things wrinkle free, I don't have to iron ).

I have a carpet sweeper and it is awesome for quick clean ups (less hassle, you don't need to plug it in, and it's very quick and quite effective), then every few weeks I wash the carpet with my pet vax. I had to order mine off eBay, I couldn't find one in the shops locally. It cost me around $30 and is really worth it, especially since it doesn't use power to run

My Bub isn't on solids yet, but when she is i'll have a rule about sitting and eating so she can't spread food around the house (my mum did it with me, and it does keep things a lot cleaner). We'll also make putting toys away a part of playing to make that a bit better too

Thanks
    Reviews
    subbing.....i need all the tips I can get

Thanks
    Reviews

I put everything I can't be bothered dealing with immediately in DSD's room because she's only here every second weekend lol.

No seriously, same as most people, dishes/laundry/tidying/vacuuming/bench wipe down everyday and then a big clean one room each day. I find with doing a little bit each day then the "big clean" usually only takes 20 minutes.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a cleaner who comes once a week and does the bathroom, floors and dusting. I do the kitchen twice a week on top of wiping the benches down after every mealtime. I put a washing on every morning (nappies) and another one as soon as its done (clothes). If sheets or towels need to be done, they go on later.
    I tidy as I go and I make sure DS1 picks up after himself as much as possible and for the most part ask that he keeps his toys in the playroom or the family room. I hate having toys in our room or the lounge. I make the beds as soon as I get up and I put clothes away as soon as they're folded. I basically just do things as soon as they need doing which means I'm doing something pretty much all day. But I'd rather that than leaving it and having to spend a solid 3 hours or so just tidying. I hate having an untidy house, it makes me a bit anxious. A lot of people subscribe to the theory of leaving housework, it'll always be there. I'm not one of them.

Thanks
    Reviews

I do it daily too during naps and put things away while DS is with me. And each day has a designated task on top like mopping, dusting, bathrooms etc.

On weekends I don't have a designated task so it feels like I have weekends off too LOL.

I think I do at least 3 hours of cleaning a day. Then all the other tasks like cooking is on top of that. But I try not to think about the time or I will probably just stress more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We both work from home so the kitchen is constantly used for meals, constantly has dishes (no dishwasher), lots of mess everywhere though not dirty, just well lived in.
    After babe #2 arrives we will have a cleaner come in fortnightly. I think it will be well worth the outlay to have more time not cleaning! Hubby has clients at home so it needs to be a certain standard, my standard would definitely be lower if it could be... I don't care too much about a sparkling house.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast