+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to drop feeds ?

Hi

Im due to go back to work a couple of days a week in 12 wks...dd is still on lots of feeds..she isn't into solids majorly as yet..will eat some yoghurt but isn't what you'd call a 'good eater' .....I need to start dropping off her day feeds to prepare for this and don't want to leave it til the last minute....

she will still cry for a feed and I admit she is kinda fed to sleep....I know I should stop this but mmm I like it it works for us but I can see it won't soon....she is a point blank bottle refuser..I gave up as it was too stressful....so she needs to drinking from a cup by about 12 months..right she will only suck on the spout if it has frozen water or milk in it...prob likes it to ease her gums I guess....she won't actually drink it.

So which feed she should stop with....do I just miss one entirely....how many bf should she be having at eight months? I am happy to feed her before and after work etc but I guess I just find it hard to imagine her not having a drink for the ten hours ill be at work on those days??? Advice appreciated....thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: How to drop feeds ?

My son was not fond of the bottle either, although would sometimes take it. I started him off at daycare doing half days and sent one bottle. The first day he got very upset and would not take more than a few mouthfuls, but was thirsty when I picked him up and took the rest of the bottle for me. Same story second day, by the third he drank the bottle at daycare. Then I started work so he was there a full day. He drank some, and as he got used to it he started finishing all his bottles. I can usually tell when he's coming down with an illness now as he'll go back to only drinking half a bottle at a time, but will take the boob as normal before bed.

So I guess I'm saying if you don't want to drop feeds, don't! Just be patient and hopefully your little one will learn to take the bottle. Can't hurt to keep practising with a cup either. Do you have the option of starting with half days so at least if your bub doesn't take the bottle at first, they're not so long without a drink?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: How to drop feeds ?

Oh, and my bub started daycare at 8 months and has 3 bottles a day, boob feeds in the morning and before bed, and usually wants 2-3 feeds at night. I express around 140ml a bottle for him.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good idea about trying the half day. My daycare doesnt do half days i dont think tho but I could do it and just pick her up early for a little while....glad to see your bub is still drinking a fair bit too as mine is.

As for using ebm.....for a variety of reasons I wasn't considering this an option for me. I have thrown out so much ebm during attempts to train her to try bottle ...she won't drink it....sigh, im sorta over it iykwim. I work in health so yes I could take the one hour lactation break we re entitled to...but tbh im not keen for various reasons, .....location, type of job has emergencies etc.....guess I was hoping I could get her to drink properly from a sippy cup with just ordinary milk maybe ?

The main issue is just trying to get her to drink enuf of something from something other than a boob ..so I guess I keep trying...I've left her with dh, mil, my mother for several hours but she still refuses to drink...she didnt drink for six hours one day while I was gone. Hence the dropping of feeds per se ...I am worried that it will be very stressful for me and her and carers if I can't get her to drink by then....so maybe this is more about weaning? Dunno just starting to worry about it as its going to come around quick .....confusing as my ds would drink both breast and bottle easily....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How to drop feeds ?

My DD1 just skipped those feeds that I wasn't there for when at DC. I worker 2 days a week and she just didn't have boob then but caught up when I got home. She was 18mths at the time.

Dd2 us due to start in dc 2 days/ wk in 3 wks and she will be doing half days for a few weeks to get her used to it.