+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is your baby a bad sleeper? I'd love to hear from you.

OP have you tried white noise REALLY loud? I was given this suggestion yesterday, basically to block out outside noises. I'm trying it as I type. I got my DD to settle herself to sleep in her cot which has only ever happened once before (yesterday) and even though she only lasted 30 mins she generally also only catnaps for 40 mins during the day times. It may help with drowning out the construction noise. If you have an iPhone there's good apps avail.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Is your baby a bad sleeper? I'd love to hear from you.

Hi OP, my DS is almost 12 months old and wakes every half hour-2 hour through the night, averaging once an hour, needing boob and extensive patting to get back to sleep. We bedshare.
    I managed to get him to have 2 40 minute naps, one straight after the other by implementing some special sleep association music on my phone and a sleep taggy.
    For the first few weeks I had to sit next to him while he napped then the second he stirred scooped him up and rocked him until he fell asleep again, this sometimes took up to 40 minutes itself. Now that this nap style is gently 'broken', he will sleep for one cycle and only needs a brief pat to go back for another one.
    And once he started having 2 of these routined 80-90 minute naps he does go down easier.
    Night time I have had no success. I'm 5 months pregnant so I'm starting to worry about my health and ability being awake half the night, every night
    No answers sorry, just nice to read other peoples similar battles!
    I agree when someone says their baby is a bad sleeper and waking up 2-3 times a night, I'm just like "Don't even go there." It gets really irritating.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I have a baby that also wakes after 45min during the day and 2-4 times overnight for a feed. She is 6.5mths old.

I don't call her a bad sleeper just a normal baby.

Then I stop worrying
    Of course your DD sounds like a perfectly normal sleeper. Count your lucky stars lady.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    My DD only sleeps for 40 minutes during the day and her night sleeping is awful. For the first few hours (before I go to bed) she will wake every 10-20 minutes, with a couple of 40 minute cycles. Then I take her into bed with me where she continues to wake every 40 minutes through the night, sometimes going 1.5hrs, that happens maybe once a night.

I try not to stress about it. It will only make things much worse. Our babies are still so little and being alive must be pretty overwhelming!

Needless to say I am perpetually exhausted but it just will get better. It has to.

My advice is try your best to stop reading about babies that sleep "well". They are all different so reading about all these babies that sleep so much and so easily just makes it harder. I find even reading things about "bad" sleepers hard because these nights of waking 2-3 times sounds absolutely AMAZING to me and so far from where my baby's at. Most of the "bad" sleepers I read about sound fantastic compared to mine. I haven't had 2 hours of solid sleep in a couple of months. Like yours she is a happy baby most of the time so I know I'm not doing anything wrong. She just hasn't got the hang of sleep yet. We will get there, j just keep telling myself that.
    Greenmama I know it's not something you want but I think your bub may well take the prize for this one! I salute you on your positive attitude though xx

Thanks
    Reviews

OP how is your baby sleeping at night? My DD is also a 40min catnapper during the day, unless she is sleeping on me I might get lucky and get longer (but then it sort of defeats the purpose as I'm getting nothing done anyway!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
    Of course your DD sounds like a perfectly normal sleeper. Count your lucky stars lady.
    I'm sorry to have upsetted you, I had no intent on trivializing ppl before. I said that earlier statement cos I get comments from some folks IRL and a few posters on here that that babies do not need overnight feeds after 6mths and that you are pandering etc.

I do realize I'm blessed.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I'm sorry to have upsetted you, I had no intent on trivializing ppl before. I said that earlier statement cos I get comments from some folks IRL and a few posters on here that that babies do not need overnight feeds after 6mths and that you are pandering etc.

I do realize I'm blessed.
    I have seen some of these posts and understand your original response R&A.

I really feel for the mamas with bad sleepers. I don't get a break at all during the day but trade it off with good nights (past the witching hour anyway). I can't imagine how hard it must be to have a bubs not sleeping day or night. Hugs to all of you!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

DD was an amazing sleeper from newborn and up to about 9 months.

Then she started getting lots of teeth, two at a time and was waking several times a night. We have worked hard to get her schedule back in line but she still wakes at least once a night.

She's presently getting molars so I expect a few more rough nights ahead.

She's had night waking now for 7 months.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sarelou View Post
    Greenmama I know it's not something you want but I think your bub may well take the prize for this one! I salute you on your positive attitude though xx
    Haha thanks, not exactly a prize we were after and I'll be glad to pass it on at anytime! Some days it seems better, some days not...last night she woke 8 times before 4am when she woke and wouldn't go back to sleep. Tried for an hour with no luck so DP got up with her and I got a glorious full hour of sleep! Then she slept another 40 mins, then up for the day. I tried changing her nappy a few times last night but didn't make a difference :/

It does totally do my head in but I found if I stress about it it just makes it worse. And to be honest I think I have a pretty easy baby. She's generally very happy (as long as I am no more than 2 metres away and am entertaining her lol), rarely cries, has no health issues etc. She is a delight. She just hasn't mastered the art of sleep! I just feel sure that she'll come good soon enough. Thankfully I am able to be home with her every day, have no older children and don't have to go back to work for a while yet so if we have an absolutely awful night then we just have a bed day the next day ie I bring a bunch of toys into bed and we play in there while I lie down lol.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

My 5 month old's sleeping habits were identical to those described by Greenmama. I was.becoming incredibly stressed and depressed and my baby was cranky and tearful...then we went to "sleep school"...

No controlled crying or comforting was used but now my baby sleeps approx 12 hours at night with 2 to 3 feeds at present. He still cat naps during the day but we are both 100%better off.

Prior to sleep school we were co-sleeping...but this just wasn't good for my baby...it actually kept him from sleeping deeply...but I know this is the opposite of many people's experience.

OP, would you consider
    looking into a residential parenting program in your state to receive some support to improve your baby's sleep?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub