+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is your baby a bad sleeper? I'd love to hear from you.

Hey mums,
    I'm having another bad day. my baby is seven months and can only be described as a bad sleeper. In general he is a happy go lucky baby but he often wakes after one sleep cycle and is clearly in need of more sleep. I had to sleep train him at 4.5 months and since then his sleeps have been better. But I am so traumatised by his bad sleeps. I find myself obsessing over his sleep cycles and planning my housework around his sleeps, trying to be quiet around the 40min mark when it's likely that he'll transition from one sleep cycle to the next. It really gets me down that he's such a crap sleeper. Nights are better but quite often wakes too early.
    I'm sure there are other mums out there whose babies aren't good sleepers. I'd like to hear from you about what you do, whether its normal to be this anxious all the time? Or obsessively thinking about their sleep?? Knowing that there are others out there in the same boat would be nice... As in, I'm sorry that you are having a rough time as well but it's nice to know I'm not alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hey I was the same as you! Anxious about my DS and his sleeping. He was a awful sleeper at around 5-7 months, and once he hit 8-9 months he was sleeping through the night. And I think he was such a terrible sleeper in the end because he could sense my anxiety.

I had him sleep with me at night and on me during the day because it was the only way I could get a break.
    Now at 13 months he puts himself to sleep in his cot and sleeps through at night and 2-4 hours in the day.

I can't say what it was exactly that made him start sleeping properly, but I just wanted to say that it does get better.
    I wish I had some better advice for you!

Try and relax a bit, and just kinda accept that right now it's tough....
    That seemed to help me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Harliben For This Useful Post:

cnic  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I have a baby that also wakes after 45min during the day and 2-4 times overnight for a feed. She is 6.5mths old.

I don't call her a bad sleeper just a normal baby.

Then I stop worrying

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

cnic  (29-12-2012),fionaalice  (29-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD only sleeps for 40 minutes during the day and her night sleeping is awful. For the first few hours (before I go to bed) she will wake every 10-20 minutes, with a couple of 40 minute cycles. Then I take her into bed with me where she continues to wake every 40 minutes through the night, sometimes going 1.5hrs, that happens maybe once a night.

I try not to stress about it. It will only make things much worse. Our babies are still so little and being alive must be pretty overwhelming!

Needless to say I am perpetually exhausted but it just will get better. It has to.

My advice is try your best to stop reading about babies that sleep "well". They are all different so reading about all these babies that sleep so much and so easily just makes it harder. I find even reading things about "bad" sleepers hard because these nights of waking 2-3 times sounds absolutely AMAZING to me and so far from where my baby's at. Most of the "bad" sleepers I read about sound fantastic compared to mine. I haven't had 2 hours of solid sleep in a couple of months. Like yours she is a happy baby most of the time so I know I'm not doing anything wrong. She just hasn't got the hang of sleep yet. We will get there, j just keep telling myself that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP,
    no you're not alone. My DS is 7 months old and is a shocking sleeper. So bad, that we went to sleep school when he was 5 months old.

On a 'normal' night he wakes almost every hour ... On a good night he wakes 4 or 5 times .... and thats after sleep school. I can hardly even commit to writing how bad it was before that and what a screaming, lurching psycho of a mother I was becoming ...

Even now, I'm also obsessing about sleep cycles and we are doing the same thing - tip toeing around the house at the 40 minute mark ... I think we are anxious because we know how important sleep is, but then again I look at my 10 year old DS and know that this wont last forever, that one day my little man will find his groove and decide bed is an alright place to be!

just keep doing why you're doing, read up if you think you need to, and if you really think there is nothing else you can do, book yourself into a sleep clinic.

be kind to yourself. Sleep deprivation is so rough.

Thanks
    Reviews

DD is 10 months old and I still stress about her sleep even though she now self settles and hardly wakes at night any more.

I think it's just the way I am. I'm a perfectionist and I know what she's like when she's over tired so since we brought her home from hospital, I constantly think about sleep! It became an obsession for me.

You can't change how you feel about things but you can control how you react, so just make sure you take a deep breath every time she wakes from her catnap, remind yourself it won't last forever and get excited that you are about to get to spend some quality time with her.

Thanks
    Reviews

Dd2 is 18 months old and still wakes up to 4 times a night (that's a bad night) a good night is once but she won't go to sleep without a bottle. Dd3 is 11 weeks and sleeps way better then dd2 ever has.

Thanks
    Reviews

DS catnapped until he was nearly 12 months and then stopped. 40 mins on the dot literally from birth, so I was never able to sleep when he did during the day.

He just started sleeping longer. I used to try everything but in the end gave up. He went from 40mins to 1 hr, and then generally started sleeping 2 x 1.5hrs a day.

His night sleeps were always good though, not sleep throughs but up only once etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    7 months old and 40 minutes is good for a day nap. I think of it as good because it means I can go out and not worry that she's missing out on her 2h naps. Have tried everything to get her to sleep longer but it just doesn't work. She just doesn't want to miss a thing. Takes ages to settle at night too, lots of false starts. I suppose some bubs are like that, like some don't like to eat etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey everyone, thanks for your replies, it did make me feel a bit better. Ohhh we do have some horrible days! I think in my case it's a combination of a couple of things, mostly that my baby is a light sleeper and just is not hard wired to sleep through noise and we have a large construction site right across the road. BUt I do need to learn to relax a bit and not get so stressed over something I can't control. Thank you for helping me put things into perspective. Sometimes it's so easy to get trapped in your own little world!!
    He just woke today after one sleep cycle and I know it was definitely because there were some huge vehicles plodding about across the road, but I managed to re-settle him so he's gone back to sleep.