+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummabec View Post
    That may even be covered by the landlords home insurance. I know the company I work for would cover that.

Good luck.
    our insurance has covered similar damage

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    We are in a rental property. We are the first tenants and the house is only 16months old.
    Yesterday I made a stupid stupid mistake that's going to cost us. I put some clothes in the laundry sink to soak, turned the hot water tap on and went to see went to help my DD get dressed (she had had a toileting accident). I got distracted and forgot about the tap running. End result was that I flooded the laundry and hallway. We raced down to the supermarket to hire one of those carpet water extractor things and I think the carpet will be fine. It's only just damp this morning. However the damage is to the laundry cupboard under the sink. Where the water has run down the cupboard door and into the cupboard underneath the laminate on the door and the shelving has bubbled and the wood has buckled.
    I know we need to fix this. I would never leave property damage that I had caused. My question is do I call the real estate and tell them so that we can find out of the owners who the company that installed the joinery was so we can make sure we get it to match exactly (all the other other joinery in the house and other laundry cupboard match) or do we just call around and get someone to fix it?. will this go in our rental record as a bad thing if we tell the real estate?
    It won't be a small job as I'm pretty sure the bench top and sink will need to be removed then the cupboard replaced and then the bench too and sink put back on.
    i am a property manager, you should tell the agency immediately and notify them of the damage. Even if its something you could replace without them knowing its written Into your agreement to notify them within 48/72 hrs and it will hurt tour record more if your found out when you exit the property, and try to think of it as a owner if you owned a place and your tenant replaced something after causing damage and you didn't know?!

Someone mentioned it may be covered by landlords insurance this is usually the case( in my experience) If it was malicious damage caused by a tenant( depending ontheir level of cover though)and not only that if it was claim able; your owner may have excesses be may need to pay, So I doubt that would be an option, also, you wouldn't want to claim on your car insurance for someone else's doing if you didn't have too would you? You get what I mean?

If you replace what is broken/ruined your record will not be damaged or tarnished if you leave the property and leave behind these damages that's when your records will be tarnished.

my advice: report the damage let them know your fixing the problem and be open to the real estate wanting to come have a look at both the damage and the rectification.
    Last edited by Twoalready; 05-01-2013 at 00:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also the real estate may be open to giving you their preferred contractors to do the work aswell.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rental property damage. Advice please

Quote Originally Posted by Twoalready View Post
    Also the real estate may be open to giving you their preferred contractors to do the work aswell.
    Thanks for your reply . If you read my update though you will see my current issue is that the PM won't return my calls or emails.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    Thanks for your reply . If you read my update though you will see my current issue is that the PM won't return my calls or emails.
    Oh bugger! Try and be patient over the Xmas new year break It caused a heck of a lot of back log of work... But try writing an email? I respond Better to emails more the phone calls because I flag the email in my inbox untill it's been dealt with so that might an option for you?

alternatively and I hate to suggest it because as a property manager myself I hate it when people get others involved but maybe send the department manager a email letting him/her know what's going on and that you haven't heard back and your concerned about what to do. Try not to paint your property manager badly or this will only make her/him dislike you. As a department manager is thier manager..

Generally you can find out emails and what role people play in the business on their websites.. Have a look :-)

goodluck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would it be a bad thing to just give the owners a call to let them know where it's at? That you've been trying to call and email but no response from the real estate? Our owners are pretty good and when we told them the real estate told us the owners had 'deep pockets' and left us with no oven for about 6 weeks, the owners swiftly changed real estates and told us they weren't informed of the problem for a particular amount of time! Anything we notify the owners and the real estate of is addressed properly and pretty quickly. But if we don't email the owner and only the real estate we tend to wait a lot longer.....
    I think if you have met the owners and have a reasonable relationship with them then I'd give them the call just to let them know. Hope you get some answers soon xoxoxo