+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hopefully landlord's insurance will cover it - even if it was your own home your own insurance would likely cover it, so press for the insurance to cover it. Maybe you just offer to pay the excess so the landlord is not out of pocket and you will show your good will but not get lumped with a bill in the thousands.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Rental property damage. Advice please

Can RE's even make you pay the whole amount if it is in the thousands?
    My ex let DS draw on the lino at our old house and it wouldn't come out. The cost of replacing it was excessive so it was agreed upon i would pay $100 as compensation to be put toward new lino. The RE didn't even suggest i would have to pay the whole amount.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

They sure can it just depends if you have a nice RE or not.

At our last rental we accidently put some deep awful scratches in the floorboards moving furniture, the house sold and the new owner wanted us to foot the cost (which I would have done - it was our fault) but I had a brilliant property manager who basically told them to bugger off as they could claim it on their insurance

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mrstuilawa For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (29-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Recently our car exploded and we have fire damage to the rental we live in. I called RE and was told we were liable. After talking to RTA found out it is a grey area. One the landlord doesn't have to have landlords insurance and two they can choose whether they wish to use it! You're supposed to come to an agreement which would hopefully be to pay their excess. For us our car insurance will cover it as the landlord is a 3rd party. Hopefully the max you'll have to pay is the excess. My husband also flooded our laundry and damaged our sink too but wasn't as bad as yours sounds.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rental property damage. Advice please

Hey Jez I'm a PM, tell the agent ( strongly recommend email after phone call- cause there are some lazy PM's out there) and offer to pay the excess, owner can make you pay the full amount ( in WA) although VERY BAD FORM, I had this recently where the owner refused to claim insurance for a kitchen fire and I had to delve into it, my tenants threatened to take him to tribunal ( good stuff) and he backed down very quickly. Accidents happen! It's nothing to feel bad about, the agent wouldn't want you to loose sleep over it

Thanks
    Reviews

Call the agent right away.
    I had an accident and drove into the automatic garage door!!
    Called the real estate (who were great) they contacted the owners and the owners contacted us and asked to see the damage.
    They owners were excellent!
    They told us not to worry and as long as it was fixed when we vacated it was fine, we could fix it when we had they money to etc.
    we were able to ring around an get quotes and had it all replaces recently for $800.

Call the real estate and be honest, tell them what you have told us.
    They prefer honesty and for the tenants to be upfront.
    They will just be relieved to hear your going to pay for it over anything.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mrstuilawa View Post

At our last rental we accidently put some deep awful scratches in the floorboards moving furniture, the house sold and the new owner wanted us to foot the cost (which I would have done - it was our fault) but I had a brilliant property manager who basically told them to bugger off as they could claim it on their insurance

What a cheek! when you buy a house you get it "as is" and if you want repairs etc done, that's gotta be agreed on beforehand and written into the contract!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mrstuilawa View Post

Lovely to hear a warm and fuzzy PM story lol.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah squishie it was pretty rude of them, especially considering the scratches were there when they did numerous inspections pre purchase!

Mokeybear I actually really miss my old pm and when this lease runs out and we move I'll be emailing her to see if she's got any suitable properties for us!

Thanks
    Reviews

Update
    So frustrated at our PM. I sent an email explaining what had happened and also followed up with a phone call, left a voicemail because he was out of the office. Still no response yesterday so I rang agin and was told he wasn't in and would I like to leave a voicemail. I explained I already had an asked the receptionist to confirm I had the correct email, which I do.
    I rang today and was told he was on another call. Still haven't heard from him.
    I sent an email to him about the internal oven light not working and the oven indicator lights flickering even when the oven is off about a month before Xmas too and got no response. (Told him it wasn't a bit deal but it happened after a blackout in our area and I thought they would like to know as the house is new and still under warranty).
    Now the clip on the dishwasher that holds the soap draw closed and opens during the cycle has broken off. It may be a new house but everything falls to pieces. in the time we have been here (8 months) the front door has stuck so badly you couldn't get it open without a lot of effort ( apparently the owners had had the door replaced twice since the house was built), one of the lights in the hall set the trip switch off if you turned it on and the heater stopped working which turned out that the ducted heating hadn't been secured properly when installed and the hot air was blowing straight into the roof and not into the vents and into the house. I can't wait until our lease is up even though I will be 34weeks pregnant we are defiantly moving. I just want stuff to stop breaking.
    I know the cupboard is my fault and not exactly urgent and I'm sure real estate agents are busy but surely he could send a reply to my email or something to indicate he has received my email and find out what action the owners would like to take (them organizing for it to be fixed or us organizing it).
    We have the owners phone number as they had to come around to collect some things they had left in the house when we moved in (long story) and they said to call anytime because the PM was obviously an idiot (they have since change PMs and this one is a new one who is apparently a friend of theirs). The owner is a tradie so things like the electrical fault he got a tradie friend to fix and lots is under warrenty. We have had to call the owners ourselves a couple of times when the builders have just turned up to fix issues that were there prior to us moving in with no notice and we haven't been able to get hold of the PM. For example the builders just wandered into our backyard to assess the dodgy brickwork (the mortar is terrible and everywhere) and scared the **** out of me when I walked into my laundry and they were at the glass sliding door, having already been though the rest of the backyard.
    But I'm reluctant to call them for this one as I want it to all be done properly through the right channels so there is no problems when we move out. Arggggghhhhhh!
    Sorry for the long post I have just had enough.