+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Rental property damage. Advice please

We are in a rental property. We are the first tenants and the house is only 16months old.
    Yesterday I made a stupid stupid mistake that's going to cost us. I put some clothes in the laundry sink to soak, turned the hot water tap on and went to see went to help my DD get dressed (she had had a toileting accident). I got distracted and forgot about the tap running. End result was that I flooded the laundry and hallway. We raced down to the supermarket to hire one of those carpet water extractor things and I think the carpet will be fine. It's only just damp this morning. However the damage is to the laundry cupboard under the sink. Where the water has run down the cupboard door and into the cupboard underneath the laminate on the door and the shelving has bubbled and the wood has buckled.
    I know we need to fix this. I would never leave property damage that I had caused. My question is do I call the real estate and tell them so that we can find out of the owners who the company that installed the joinery was so we can make sure we get it to match exactly (all the other other joinery in the house and other laundry cupboard match) or do we just call around and get someone to fix it?. will this go in our rental record as a bad thing if we tell the real estate?
    It won't be a small job as I'm pretty sure the bench top and sink will need to be removed then the cupboard replaced and then the bench too and sink put back on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Just call the agent straight away, tell them what happened and ask if they want you to organise the repair or them- an email would be even better so you have their answer in writing

If you notify us straight away there is usually no problem and no it's only if you damage the home and refuse to fix it that can be held against you - accidents happen so try not to stress!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (05-01-2013)

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would call the real estate. These things happen, and I'm sure they are well used to such things. Most real estates want to organise the repairs themselves and then bill you for it.

mummabec is offline I could hold you for a million years, to make you feel my love
    Thanks
    Reviews

That may even be covered by the landlords home insurance. I know the company I work for would cover that.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks Elijah's mum.
    I feel so bad about it. I have never caused damage to a property before and take great care to look after them. Stupid baby brain. I just completely forgot about it until I heard the water overflowing. DH is ****ed but trying very hard to not show his anger at me.

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would contact the estate agent ASAP. It will be covered by insurance. The carpet and underfloor also needs to be dried properly otherwise this will call problems down the track. Our house was hit by a big storm and our insurance paid for big drying fans to dry our carpet and underfloor. Insurance will also pay for the joinery. Call youe agent ASAP. Accidents happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with mummabec - it could be covered under the landlords insurance and therefore you could just be charged the landlords excess.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for all your replies. I will try to get in touch with our PM today, although I don't like my chances of him actually being there at this time of the year but ill ask the receptionist what to do next. ill definately put it in an email too as I like to put all correspondence in writing just for future reference.
    I hadn't thought of landlords insurance. Just assumed it was our fault so our responsibility to cover the full cost (which I am a little scared about what that bill will be).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Rental property damage. Advice please

Good luck Jez accidents happen so I'm sure they will be understanding. The only time I could see it being a problem is if you left it and didn't tell them/refused to fix it

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Rental property damage. Advice please

Good luck Jez accidents happen so I'm sure they will be understanding. The only time I could see it being a problem is if you left it and didn't tell them/refused to fix it

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub