+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Best: ceremony and reception at the same place, with drinks and nibblies and games for an hour or so in between. Something close to public transport and accommodation (sometimes a remote venue far, far away sounds great but can be a real challenge for guests to get to and arrange accommodation), short speeches done early on, perhaps while entree is served, get all the formalities over quickly, great music and lots of dancing.
    Worst: remote venue, too structured eg: formal sit down, loads of long speeches, awful 'wedding food' (restaurants can be better venues and the food better!).
    Cocktail-style functions seem to be the go at the moment- lots and lots of yummy finger food, with casual seating and a ceremony on the lawn/ beach/ deck beforehand- this style of wedding is always fun and I have found they create a great 'vibe', whether it be on a farm, in a backyard, at a restaurant or at a nice wedding venue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Best:

A jazz band immediately after the outdoor ceremony, so people were dancing while photos were taken.
    Champagne being served on trays immediately after the couple walked back down the aisle (again an outdoor one).
    Photo booth.
    Short speeches.
    Short ceremony.
    Beautiful locations (with shade for outdoor wedding guests).

Worst:

Too much waiting around while photos are taken, with no food or drinks
    Everything themed for the kids between ceremony and reception, and not adults (e.g., soft drinks only and jelly sweets on low tables).
    Speeches that go on too long.
    Off colour jokes made by best men/ family members in speeches.
    Crying babies/ noisy children at the ceremony.
    Poor quality wine with no other choices (e.g., dodgy chardonnay or house red).
    Badly cooked steaks (always luke warm and over done).
    No shade when outdoors.
    Location with terrible accommodation.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Worst: Not enough seating for everyone at the ceremony- especially in hot weather when all you want to do is faint.
    Really long speeches or ceremonies
    'designer' reception venues where they serve you a giant plate with a teeny-tiny meal. I felt very ripped off, especially as we had forked out a lot of money for the weekend for travel, accom etc.
    Weddings that finish at 11pm, just when the party is really getting started.

Best: Weddings that suit the couple- I was at one last month that was just lovely and a lot of fun. Lolly buffet, great speeches, lovely meal and beautiful dresses to ooh and aah over.
    I know it's hard, but I love sitting at a table with a good group of friends, especially if we don't all meet up often.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Best and Worst!!

This might sound silly but I've never actually been to a wedding! What's involved at a ceremony apart from I do? Would it be silly to just goto a registers office then have a reception to save money or is that tacky :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No I don't think that's tacky at all. If its not important to you to have guests witness the ceremony then don't do it. Some photos might be nice to show at the reception.

Make your day what you want it to be, then all the people that love you for being you are bound to enjoy it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi good luck. But best for us was videographer and photographer were a couple and had the sense to take a photo at each table with us and guests before any food was served. Sorry no kids older than babies, great in a service to have them screaming etc. Have entree seated and then buffet for mains later. Have good non alcoholic drinks not just crap, must have loads of finger food during photos to soak up alcohol esp in hot weather. Love good wines, fab food, people remember nice food. Hate to be a party pooper any chance you can check peoples speeches before they are used, my mother nearly hit the roof with my bridesmaids speech. You are there to enjoy the day not worry about drunk people being obnoxious.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Best and Worst!!

Awesome advice ladies!!! You've given me a few things to think about and some I hadn't actually thought of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I would say the best were where the bride and groom were relaxed and happy. The worst were the ones with bridezillas that had to micro manage everything and demand all sorts of ridiculous stuff off family and guests.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Best and Worst!!

Bonbonnieres..

Have you kept any from wedding you've been to?

Are they a waste of time/money?

What is the best one you've received?

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I don't like:
    knick knack things- I don't have areas in my home to put them, and to me they are just dust collectors
    Photo frames with the couples name and wedding date on it- I hardly ever take great photos and so without a photo from *their* wedding, it just seems weird
    Anything that encourages drinking- to me it's just weird to encourage a destructive behaviour (to me- DP has a lot of alcoholics in his family)

The best stuff:
    A candy bar- we each had a chinese take-away type box on the table, and got to go to the candy bar and fill it with stuff- yum!
    A CD of the wedding music- esp when the couple have great taste!
    Impossible to do unless you have an 'in' like my cousin (my uncle worked for Mars' parent company at the time) but she had personalised M&M's with their names printed on it- cute!