+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Best and Worst!!

I'm sure this thread has been done but I cannot find it on my phone.

I am getting married next year and I know I am going to have a fabulous time but I'd like to make it good for my guests as well.

So I am wondering.. Out of all the weddings you've been to what were the best and worst things about them??

Here's mine:
    BEST
    1. Games for guests to play while bridal party was off getting photos. Kept us all entertained and we got to know some guests we didn't know.
    2. Short and sweet speeches
    3. Good DJ

WORST
    1. Not enough canapés for guests during pre dinner drinks while bridal party was getting photos. We were all starving by dinner time.
    2. Loooooong loooong drawn out ceremony during an outdoor wedding where not only we couldn't hear what was actually being said but there was no shade and we all ended up a little bit burnt.
    3. The MC taking the mic around to every table for anyone to make a speech.. Whilst the thought of it is nice it took forever and a lot of it was just the grooms drunk mates speaking a lot of crap.

That's just my personal experiences.. So as I said I would love to know everyone else's so I can avoid having 100 disappointed guests

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Best and Worst!!

Not keeping people waiting while getting photos done.
    Asking guests what songs theyd like to hear
    A photo board with pics of your guests and why it's special that they're at your wedding
    Photo booth
    Not too many speeches
    Making it just ad much about the guests as the bride and groom

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

CharlieBug  (29-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Best and Worst!!

Best
    - ours had ceremony and reception at same venue, so no need to drive between places, I thought that was excellent!
    - lolly buffet instead of bonbonierres

Worst
    - loong ceremony
    - Horrible quality drinks - at my cousin's wedding my uncle paid for everything except father of the groom paid for drinks. Result: "cocktails" of cask wine and orange juice.
    - long speeches
    - I know I am the exception to the rule but I HATE 80s music that is played at every wedding for dancing. A little bit is ok but all they ever play is Love Shack, etc. At least put in some modern stuff too please!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

CharlieBug  (29-12-2012),scarymarygoldfish  (29-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Best and Worst!!

Wedding and ceremony at same place with aircon and indoors if possible. If outdoors shade, insect repellent and wet weather alternative venue a must.

For smaller wedding a degustation menu keeps everyone entertained. We did this and also instead if bridal table we had a setting at each guest table and sat on different table each course. That way we got to talk with everyone.

A really funny mc makes the day and keeping guests entertained whilst getting photos done, even if it's just access to a bar,
    is vital. Get all but group photos done prior to ceremony if you can.

Worst weddings always have bad food or drinks. Don't do home brew, dry roast meat without gravy and canned fruit salad and icecream! Also don't have wedding in the middle of nowhere and expect people to get home after a few drinks.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Noty For This Useful Post:

CharlieBug  (29-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Best and Worst!!

Best
    Short ceremony - my wedding and my BFF but still full of love
    Speeches carefully planned and thought out but not too long
    Good food and good wine- the money is worth it (we had a croquembouche)

Worst
    Open mike - drunk men at a friends wedding was really bad
    Not enough food- trying to go too simple meant a lot of drunk people starving
    Offsite catering-cheap roast buffets that aren't hot enough. Can be done well but so often done badly.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BrissieGal2013 For This Useful Post:

CharlieBug  (29-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Best and Worst!!

Best
    - swing dancing lessons between the ceremony and reception(at same venue) for guests. Great way to encourage mingling & was so much fun. Plus really suited the couple who were dancers.

Worst
    - not enough food at a fingerfood/cocktail reception. We all went home really drunk and hungry...baaad combination. Plus people stalking the food trays as they come out is not good.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to meme For This Useful Post:

CharlieBug  (29-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Best and Worst!!

We ended up having a morning ceremony which was only 20 mins. Then had some photos with family and all the guests before the reception. Reception was lunchtime with open bar (cheaper since not too many people drink at lunchtime) with finger food which everyone loved then we had the rest of the photos after the reception. Very relaxed but everyone enjoyed themselves.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to caketin For This Useful Post:

CharlieBug  (29-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I prefer weddings that are individual and don't worry too much about the "rules". The best one I've ever been to was completely "untraditional" - the bride and groom greeted everyone as they arrived, the ceremony was short, sweet and hilarious, straight after they had 100 pizzas delivered and everyone had a ball. There was no walking down the aisle, no "first dance" rubbish, no sit down dinner and awkward seating arrangements, was just a great party with a ceremony at the beginning.

Worst - speeches that went on forever and were full of in-jokes that no one understood, bad food, being seated at the "single smokers" table (when I was neither single nor a smoker) away from the people I knew... It was interstate too so cost the earth just to attend.
    Last edited by shelle65; 29-12-2012 at 10:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Worst weddings I've been to were in Winter, where the guests had to stand around outdoors for hours in between ceremony and reception. And I hate tacky 80's music, so the DJ is pretty important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Things I have disliked at weddings are: long ceremony's, not enough seating, outdoor weddings on extremely hot days with no shade, feuding guests, long speeches, crap food, long waits between wedding and reception with nothing provided to entertain guests, limited drink choices.

things I like: fast ceremony's, quirky weddings - something a bit different to the usual, great food, no long periods of waiting around, good music, relaxed weddings.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

CharlieBug  (29-12-2012)