+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Save our sleep book

Just wondering if anyone is using/has used the routines and advice given in the book "save our sleep" by Tizzie Hall? I've just bought it to help with my first child who is 3 wks and would love to hear your experiences good or bad.

Thanks
    Reviews

A new mother I know swears by it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Have you read it yet? You might decide yourself if it sounds like something you want to do or not once you have.

I personally wouldn't do it, especially with such a young bubba. I have read the book fully and disagree with the majority of her methods.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Save our sleep book

I know it's controversial and many people hate it but it has definitely worked for my DD. I started her on it at 6 wks and it changed our lives for the better...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Burn it! Burn and bury the ashes.

Ummmmmmm....

From what I've observed the people who swear by it either a) had "good" babies or b) ignored some of the extreme nonsense she's written.

Read it with an open mind knowing the author is widely disputed, she is not a lactation consultant, or in any way medically qualified.

If you find some value in it - great! If not pay it no mind.

I love the no cry sleep solution and pinky McKay but if you are looking for something that's a bit more baby training "Safe Sleep Space" is a sensible balance I think and written by (and for) professionals.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (28-12-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (29-12-2012),peanutmonkey  (28-12-2012),soon2bmumzy  (28-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Ooh boy. You're going to get a lot of passionate views on this topic ... People either love it or hate it. From my experience on BH the lovers don't follow the book 100% and the haters (most of the time) really do not have an idea of what's actually in the book. You've got to read the book yourself, apply your own commonsense and don't take any one persons view on BH as being 'right'. We are all biased.

Now as for me. I follow SOS and have a perfect sleeper. Bub was sleeping 10 hours at night from about 10 weeks. My SOS 'tricks of the trade:
    - I didn't start until bub was 8 weeks as I couldnt be stuffed with the expressing needed before then. I also wanted my milk supply to regulate naturally and wanted bub to lead the way in terms of feeds and cuddles in those first months.
    - don't ignore the comforter, it's a vital part of helping bub to sleep anywhere. I'd get a breathable comforter (eg from a chemist, or a loose bit of muslin cloth).
    - If bub is fighting sleep at nap time or waking early consider moving up to the next routine even if bub isnt quite the age mentioned.
    - don't stress if you need to go out and bubs nap is off schedule. Bub can sleep in the pram of have. Longer afternoon nap. Variation once in a while won't hurt bub.
    - Id rather use a gro-bag than blankets. They are safer and more idiot proof
    - routines, general feeding, sleep advice, eating advice yes.
    - Specific Breastfeeding advice.... I'd listen to your maternal health Child nurse.

In summary SOS worked for me... However as with any book/advice you need to apply your own commonsense.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (28-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

I'm with boobycino, I would not use it. I read it and knew it wasn't for me, too much in the book I don't agree with.

Pinky McKay and Elizabeth pantley are the way to go in my opinion.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

peanuts1982  (29-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I have heard only good things, but never used it.
    My baby woke every few hrs (4ish) during the day & night for feeds/cuddles til 1yr old and it didn't really bother us to attend to her. She is now 2.5 and sleeps in her own bed and room all night every night unless unwell.

I would say as others have said, its each to their own, use and adapt the advice in it to best suit you.

I don't know what age this book or others suggests to start but in tiny babies with such small stomachs my view is I'd never 'force' an all night sleep as I don't believe tummies can store that much milk and may genuinely be hungry/thirsty , however If my bub did it on their own I wouldn't complain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have it, read it and found there is no way I can fit the prescribed structure in with my life happily? Luckily our bub found his own rhythm, his own schedule, we just follow his lead, and support his needs.
    Maybe see if your baby finds her own structure?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fionaalice For This Useful Post:

peanuts1982  (29-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

For us it worked for ds2 after he hit 3 months of age, and (not by choice) but he was FF.

Ds1 was BF and I don't think there's any chance I could have gotten him on that routine as he wanted to eat every 2 hours.

Personally, whether u like tizzie or not, I wouldn't try introducing a set routine till minimum 3 months and I'm sure others wouldn't till later than that too.