+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Dummies- do they effect breastfeeding?

Some very recent research suggested that dummies don't reduce Breastfeeding rates;

"Drs. Kair and Phillipi analyzed feeding data on 2,249 infants born between June 2010 and August 2011. Results showed that the rate of exclusive breastfeeding on the mother-baby unit decreased significantly after pacifiers were restricted — from 79 percent of infants in July to November 2010 to 68 percent in January to August 2011.

In addition, the proportion of breastfed infants receiving supplemental formula increased from 18 percent before the policy was changed to 28 percent afterward. The percentage of infants fed only formula remained statistically unchanged during the study period."

http://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-a...No+local+token

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    4 out of my 6 had one the other2 babies hated them and wouldn't take them. I had no issues breastfeeding with any of them.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    Some very recent research suggested that dummies don't reduce Breastfeeding rates;

"Drs. Kair and Phillipi analyzed feeding data on 2,249 infants born between June 2010 and August 2011. Results showed that the rate of exclusive breastfeeding on the mother-baby unit decreased significantly after pacifiers were restricted — from 79 percent of infants in July to November 2010 to 68 percent in January to August 2011.

In addition, the proportion of breastfed infants receiving supplemental formula increased from 18 percent before the policy was changed to 28 percent afterward. The percentage of infants fed only formula remained statistically unchanged during the study period."

http://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-a...No+local+token
    So formula supplementation increased in breastfed babies when dummies where restricted...how is that good?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD1 had a dummy from one week old and she never had any issues feeding and she was breastfed until she was 12 months old. She did however become addicted to her dummy and we didnt get rid of it until she was nearly 3. DD2 had a dummy from 11 weeks old when her constant feeding became too much for me . She gave it up herself when she was 6 months old (it seemed to coincide with the start of teething). She continued to breastfeed until 17 months.

So, no problems with breastfeeding after introducing a dummy to my 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you to everyone for commenting and your help.
    I caved just now and gave her the dummy, she's now happily lying in her cot next to me, sucking away. She's drifting in and out of sleep and this is the first time in 4 weeks I've been able to do something without her on me! I haven't had a spare lap to us bubhub on the lap top in that long!! haha!

I have decided to only keep it in her cot so it is to only be used at sleeping times. Same goes for my DS2 who is 13 months old.
    I was so against her having one and i feel really guilty and paranoid that its going to change how feeding is going, but i guess i can take it away if that happens.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Harliben For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (28-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I had no problems with my DD and at 15 months she's still using one for nighttime (although not breast feeding anymore). I was so drained in the first 2 weeks coz she was comfort sucking off me all the time)

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    So formula supplementation increased in breastfed babies when dummies where restricted...how is that good?
    It is not good. Dummies are not bad, according to recent evidence. They prevent people from unnecessarily supplementing unsettled babies with formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

We didn't have any problems. Started giving DS a dummy on about day 5 (much to some of the midwives disgust). He is now almost 1 year old and I am still breast feeding him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh good. So most of you or all of you have had no problems, what im worried about is that during this early stage because she is demand feeding she might just suck the dummy instead? Or will she let me know when its the milk she wants not the dummy?

Im so amazed right now that shes put herself to sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Dummies- do they effect breastfeeding?

I had no problems with confusion or supply. He fed until just after his second birthday. Stopped using the dummy at 1 by his own choice.

I started giving it to him to help give me a break and stop him sucking for comfort so much. He had reflux and it wasn't helping him. I always knew that he wasn't hungry when I offered the dummy though.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub