+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Kindergarten information

Hi Mums (and Dads)
    I've noticed that a lot of you have questions about kindergarten - when your child is ready, what the point of it is (particularly with 3 year old) - and also questions about what children "should" be able to do at certain ages.

I would love to help and answer what I can. I am an experienced and qualified early childhood teacher and love sharing my passion with others.

Ask me on here or PM me

Jo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Kindergarten information

Thanks this is a great idea!

I have a 3 yr old and I was thinking of putting him in preschool this coming year for one or two days a week.

What kind of things do they do with them?

He knows his colours/shapes/alphabet/counting but can't recognise all of the numbers/letters. Do I need to teach him those things or will they?

I am in Nsw if that makes a difference.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that's great! 3 year old sessions vary but I think 1-2 days a week, or 2-3 part days is perfect (depending of course on your child).
    Typically a 3 & 4 year old kindergarten are similar, but the materials and resources put out are developmentally appropriate to the age (different puzzles, outdoor equipment etc). At a 3 year old kinder they will have a large amount of time to simply play - outdoors and indoors - and sometimes the teacher will have prepared 1 activity that they may need assistance with (this is where some more formal 'learning' occurs - they may discuss shapes or numbers or colours).
    Generally the room is separated into play areas - dramatic play (dress ups etc), puzzles/problem solving, free painting, fine motor (play dough etc), blocks & construction and so on.
    In between this, the teacher will read a story or 2 and also sing songs. These are really important. If it is a longer session the children will have a snack or lunch at kinder and this is a big learning experience in itself in terms of socially acceptable behaviour If it is a full day program some kinders have a rest/sleep time.
    Don't stress about his numbers and letters. He will be exposed to these things but a 3 year old kinder will generally not explicitly teach them. It is amazing though how much they soak up and learn anyway!
    I personally wouldn't worry about him knowing his numbers and letters at this stage.
    I hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Thanks, that was very helpful.

He is indeed a sponge and has a fantastic vocabulary for a 3 yr old which can throw people when they talk to him.

We are planning on moving before the middle of the year. Do you think it would be better to wait and put him in after we know where we will be living or start him off close to us and change later? I'm concerned that he would get used to one place and make friends and then have to start again. He has never been to daycare before so it will all be new for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would wait until you know where you will be living. Little ones thrive on routine and it will just generally be easier on him, especially if he has never been in daycare. The tricky thing will be enrolling him mid-year. It can be tough, particularly at popular kindergartens as their enrolments are normally completed by January and then you just have to hope that someone leaves or they have room for extra. That said, 3 year old kinders do not fill up as quickly as 4 year old.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jovis For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (28-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week

Thanks. At least waiting won't make it seem like I'm sending him off as soon as his brother is born

Hopefully I'll be able to get him in somewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews

My dd1 is 3 1/2. Whats this about kindy at 3? I thought they need to be 5/turning 5 by june 30 that year to get accepted into kindy. We're in Qld. Argh its so confusing!
    Also Is it normal for that age to still not know colours? She does well with other areas I think.

Thanks
    Reviews

Different states call it different things. Kindy in Qld (for example) is the same as preschool in NSW.

Kindy in NSW is the first year of school, whereas in Qld the first year of school is Prep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't worry about the names! Just think ages Formal/compulsory schooling, whatever it is called around Australia, is started by the age of 6 (although now I think it has changed to 5. Tas I'm not sure of). There is new legislation about the first year of compulsory schooling being put back so it may in fact be by the time they turn 5 (it is hard to explain when each state calls it different things, you're right!) The ACARA website might help you with this.

There should be something for 3 year olds where you are - it may not be popular or there may not be many so it might be a little trickier to find. I haven't lived in Qld so I'm not sure. A lot of schools these days are starting up three year old programs (in Vic and WA anyway).
    And yes it's normal for her not to know her colours. Just keep incorporating it into the language you use with her
    Last edited by Jovis; 29-12-2012 at 08:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I'm a teacher/director at a C&K kindergarten in Queensland if anyone has any questions.