+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is this email a good idea?

Hi, I worked at my job for a year before taking maternity leave in August. I intend to go back in March. I'm casual and the industry isn't good at the moment but I'm a good employee and will get some work. My dept. head is a great lady and likes me. My immediate supervisor is honestly a nasty woman but very good at her job. I had a good relationship with her but then I got seated next to a few long timers who hate her. Of course I was caught up I the *****ing and office politics inadvertently. I admit I did ***** too but my involvement looked a lot worse than it was. So the supervisor doesn't like me all that much now. I was wondering if it's a good idea to send her a new year email and say in it that I'm sorry I got caught up in the office politics (the people who *****ed all the time had good reason but definitely had their faults too). I want to start afresh when I go back. With two bubs and a new mortgage keeping work is a priority and I don't want to be involved in drama. Should I fess up and say I was influenced by the wrong people (the hatred between the supervisor and long timers is no secret) and wish to start over. Good idea or really dumb? I am sincere about this but do realise how it will work in my favor career wise. I am clueless at this kind of thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The omitted word us b!tch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My call... yes and no. Yes to the email, yes to a face to face apology when or if you can...

... but she might just few it as an admission of weakness and attack you- I don't know what sort of nasty person she is, but I've had a boss in the past who would. Depending how you word it, she might use it later ie to show she was bullied, so I'd keep it pretty general. Something like "Dear X. Just writing to wish you a happy new year. We've always worked well together, and I'm sorry that I was immature and got carried away by less mature workmates. It's been playing on my mind how this whole thing has happened, so I hope we can put this behind us in the new year."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I would only do it face to face.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I would say something like 'looking forward to the fresh and bright new year in 2013 and continuing to build our working relationship'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Is this email a good idea?

Not a good idea. I think it cones across as unprofessional and a bit of a continuation of the drama.

I would send a friendly happy new year email, saying you are looking forward to the year ahead, with no mention of the past.

Then let your new attitude at work do all the talking. Distance yourself from trouble makers, act professionally, and be friendly and keen.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using BubHub

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

delirium  (28-12-2012),Ellewood  (28-12-2012),Ellymoe  (28-12-2012),αληθη  (28-12-2012),onkybear  (28-12-2012),peanutmonkey  (28-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think saying that you were influenced by other workmates might show weakness and also look like you are trying to pass the buck a bit like they are partly responsible for your actions maybe? A more general happy new year email might be better, I dunno....

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Not a good idea. I think it cones across as unprofessional and a bit of a continuation of the drama.

I would send a friendly happy new year email, saying you are looking forward to the year ahead, with no mention of the past.

Then let your new attitude at work do all the talking. Distance yourself from trouble makers, act professionally, and be friendly and keen.

I absolutely agree with this.
    I know you want to apologize but I think it would go better to let your friendly and professional attitude do the apologizing instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great points. She is definitely the kind of person who might use it for her own purposes. I've seen her do stuff like that. I might keep it general and then maintain total professionalism when I go back. Thanks for the perspectives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I think saying that you were influenced by other workmates might show weakness and also look like you are trying to pass the buck a bit like they are partly responsible for your actions maybe? A more general happy new year email might be better, I dunno....
    yep to both of these