+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4 months old refusal

I am really struggling with breastfeeding at the moment. My 4 months old has become unusually fussy. He would suck 2 minutes at one breast, then start crying and screaming. I would swap side and he would do the same thing.

This is exhausting.
    Last night has been the worst. He would not feed more than 30 seconds at one breast. I thought he could not possibly have had enough food so I gave him 120 ml formula and he downed it.

I tried expressing after that feed and I got nothing! A few drops, not even 2ml!

What is happening? Is it normal? It is so distressing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Do your breasts feel full? Maybe your supply is diminishing. Is this the first time you have given formula?

What formula did you use?

Thanks
    Reviews

My breasts dint feel full, but they never have. I have never leaked and never had that full feeling unless I miss a feed. I gave S26, he had to have some formula when he was a newborn so I had some left. He hadn't had any since.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Breast refusal can be due to a few things, but it is usually temporary and you can work through it.

If you give the ABA a call they can work through what might be happening 1800 686 2 686.

Do you think you might be getting your cycle back? This can cause babies to be fussy for a day or two.

Is baby having a wonder week? There are couple around week 19 and week 26, times when babies can be quite unsettled.

I would stay away from formula at the moment, or only give small amounts if you are really getting worried. Try feeding bub when he is very sleepy, or take a bath together and see if he relaxes and is keen on a feed. Just enjoy the skin to skin even if he doesn't feed. Wearing baby in a carrier can also help both of you to relax and get hormones flowing that can help with breastfeeding.

take care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As bubbles10 said!
    DD became really fussy a week before I got my cycle back, but is back to normal now.
    Also I find if DD is really hungry she'll get impatient and wont suck long enough to get the let down which in turn will get her even more frustrated!! so I think you did the right thing by giving formula
    Other things which might seem obvious but I'll mention are
    have you changed deodorant or shower gel?
    anything in your diet like onions garlic or spicy foods?
    try a different feeding position, sometimes their back might hurt... or are stiff in the neck...
    hope it helps