+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mirena and I'm pregnant

I've done a home pregnancy test which confirms I'm pregnant. I've just got back from my GP, she has confirmed this with a pee test, now waiting for the blood test to come back. She isn't worried to leave the mirena in place. I have done some research online and am really stressed as it says it can lead to miscarry, if the device isn't removed. If I miscarry it can go septic and lead to me dying. Any suggestions. It's too late in the day to call an obstetrician. Am I stressing for nothing. Has anyone been in this same situation?

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    sorry? your GP wants to leave your mirena in even though you are pregnant?

No.

You need to have it removed as soon as you can. It is not safe for your baby ...

Go to another GP first thing tomorrow morning and have it removed.

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree go to someone else and get it out...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KatiesMum View Post
    sorry? your GP wants to leave your mirena in even though you are pregnant?

No.

You need to have it removed as soon as you can. It is not safe for your baby ...

Go to another GP first thing tomorrow morning and have it removed.
    Agree 100%

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Get a second opinion, BUT, my obgyn who put my mirena in said its accepted practice to leave it in if you were to fall pregnant now........ Removing it has an equally high rate of miscarriage apparantly. Don't want to freak you out but, another Dr might choose to do the same thing....

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have an 8 month old so I'm so super stressed as we hadn't planned to have another so soon - hence having the mirena put in. I've tried calling my obstetrician however the office is closed until after new year. I will try another gp tomorrow but really bad timing (Friday and New Year). Would I be wasting the hospitals time if I called them if I can't get into a GP?

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I see that you are in WA.

If you cannot get in to your GP there is a medical centre in the city above the train station (Central City Medical or something like that) that is open 7 days and for extended hours. Perhaps go there.

I would not go to emergency, as I dont think its an emergency so you will be there for a LONG time. According to the Mirena site it can be left in place, but it certainly carries risks.

Unfortunately it appears that there is a higher risk of miscarriage in removing the mirena (ie higher risk than a normal pregnancy), but the risks of leaving it in place dont appear to be that great either.

One of the major issues with falling pregnant with a Mirena in place (it does happen unfortunately) is that the risk of ectopic pregnancy is significantly increased, so make sure that you get a scan and rule this out early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fremantle has an after hours gp and there is also one around the Hollywood/Nedlands area. Could you ring the maternity ward of the hospital your ob works at since he will most likely have a partner ob he works with?
    goodluck

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Once you are pregnant your hormone levels shoot up far higher than the mirena is putting out. Hundreds of times higher. The synthetic hormones are designed to make your body think it is pregnant, so are not harmful to a developing baby. Sorry you are in such a worrying situation.

Thanks
    Reviews

Call your states family planning service they should have qualified Gynae doctors on over the holidays