Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Vent: Hate when people say "this year has been a terrible year for everyone"

The events that have happened to these people are horrible. They are not just having a bad day. Im happy for you that you have had such great year but you have come across as really insensitive.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vent: Hate when people say "this year has been a terrible year for everyone"

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cookies View Post
    I've had a couple of amazing things happen in my life this year 1 of them was DD being born in August happy & healthy after she stopped growing in the stomach & was only 5pound, we moved into our home that we built but I have said a couple of times this year that is has been a horrible year. My dad died in 2011 two yrs on new years day & my pop has been told his cancer has now spread to his bones. My DP and I are happy & Finaclly doing well but I am still one of those people that say it's been a crap year. So does that make me one of those people u were talking about?
    Oh I also forgot we lost my FIL in April & DP step-dad in June. I'm still happy at the end of the day does that make me a unpositive person cos I complain?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Overall, I feel quite optimistic about things and feel like a lot of good things have happened to me.

However, I think it's easier to be optimistic if you haven't had unfortunate things happen. I have encountered people who have had one or more awful or tragic things happen, and it wears them down. they might be suffering through grief or depession and that can affect their outlook and how they perceive the world. and some people are more sensitive than others.

I would be thankful that you are having a good year, rather than expecting others to count their blessings in amongst their losses.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (27-12-2012),gizmoduckus  (28-12-2012),LoCo  (27-12-2012),Witwicky  (27-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vent: Hate when people say "this year has been a terrible year for everyone"

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    I can see why someone would define their year as shocking if they experienced serious illness/death of family member....
    ^^^^ this.

For me, I would describe 2012 as a great year (best year I've had in a long time!)- so many wonderful things have happened - I got married, fell pregnant, finally after 3 years of struggle got court orders in place for my kids, almost completed my cert III in children's services and finally found a point in my life where I can recognise the things I have and be grateful for it.

However!!! 2012 will also always be one of the worst years of my life, because I suffered a miscarriage and my Nanna died.

Doesn't mean I'm a "Debbie downer"... just means I am a normal human being...

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

2012 was a horrible year for me and I've heard a lot of people say the same.

I have a wonderful partner and am living where I want to - I have lots of positives from this year but overall it was utter sh¡te - court cases, massive debt and an emotional roller coaster worthy of many vomitus bags????? Yeah I'm entitled to say its been a sh¡t year.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 28-12-2012 at 00:52.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hey OP I agree with you. I hate being dragged down by other people's negatives and I'm pretty good at not taking on their crap.

I do have empathy for others and feel for those that have suffered through the year...but I celebrate the awesome things that have happened in our lives this year.

For those that have lost loved ones or have gone through a lot of suffering, My heart goes out to you. I have been through quite a few of those experiences myself although not this year.

When it comes to those who are just generally negative and loathing, they are the ones I try to block out. Not those who have genuinely gone through emotional hardship.
    Last edited by danik; 28-12-2012 at 00:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

2012 was a great year!! I got married (twice!) and fall pregger, I also married 3 close friends. However, my mum got diagnosed with cancer, I lost my nana, my SIL's mum died at 58yo and my BFF found out she is sterile.

All these terrible events only made me want to focus on one thing: life is way too short and precious not to be celebrated in every way we can. I want to be as positive and happy as I can be, and my SIL and BFF are role models in that behavior.

Good luck everyone and I wish us all a great 2013 year

Thanks
    Reviews
    So the downer for you is that others are down around you cos there year has been bad...?...half the ppl u mentioned are likely in the throes of grief or depression....rather than getting peeved at others being so negative u need to ask yourself why it bothers u so much that they are?.......

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jfblady72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

OP I think everyone has been a little harsh, I see both sides though.

Another pp mentioned a friend whining about bruises instead of focusing on the new house- I think we share the same friend lol and on a bad day I have very low tolerance for whingers.
    On the flip side I sometimes have a low tolerance for overbearing boasters.

What you described though were people who have experienced real loss' and yes, you should count yourself lucky if you have not experienced this.
    Losing a loved one is difficult beyond words and grieving is different for us all, one day you feel great then the next you hear a song, see a movie, sense a smell, see a photo, some says something and your taken back to that dreadful moment and you back at square one.
    As people say time heals all wounds, although I think it's more that you learn to go on, not so much that you are 'healed' but you need to give people the time they need, along with a little sympathy. I'm sure these people are happy for you it's just hard dealing with loss.

I've never really looked at year being bad or good, to me they're all the same they come with both, I just strive for more of the good lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP it sounds as though what is annoying you is that these people are saying its been a bad year for 'everyone', thereby including you and ignoring your highlights. Are you sure you're not experiencing the anticlimax of post-wedding? It just sounds a bit like you feel like everyone has forgotten about your wedding and no-one cares anymore.

I agree constantly negative people are very draining, but frim what you describe these people aren't being negative their just reflecting on the difficult and sad events they've been through this year. Reflection is a good thing. They're reaching out and that's ok! Give them a hug and acknowledge their feelings. I'm sure that's all they really want when they voice their feelings like this

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Benji  (28-12-2012),Boobycino  (28-12-2012),Purple Lily  (28-12-2012)