Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Vent: Hate when people say "this year has been a terrible year for everyone"

You sound a bit naive and unfortunately you probably won't understand until you experience something similar to your family and friends. Hopefully you don't.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Inked Mumma  (28-12-2012),mum2twinboys  (27-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Vent: Hate when people say "this year has been a terrible year for everyone"

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie's Mum View Post
    You should read over your post a few times. You sound like the selfish one to me.
    Agree!!

I had a baby at 25 weeks, both her and I almost died, spent 102 days in the NICU. 2 weeks after we came home by father died.

I have said numerous times in the last week "2012 has kicked my ***" and had many others say what a bad year I've had. It's an observation, not seeing the glass half empty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Umm. Wow! Boo hoo for you! You sound like an incredibly insensitive, person. Lucky you you've had such a wonderful year you can sit here be ***** about the tough year your nearest and dearest have had while yours has been so lucky. Funny thing is that I've been around the block long enough that sometimes the glass is actually half empty and I'm so glad I don't have people like you in my life to make me feel like rubbish because of it.
    Last edited by Naboo; 27-12-2012 at 20:54.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Lily View Post
    Sorry you feel like your positives dont mean much BUT if I went through half the stuff those people went through in one year then yeah I would be a 'negative nancy'. Losing a loved one takes a really long time to get over and I know for me I would feel like I have every right to ***** and moan that I have had a **** year if any of that happened to me.

Im sure they dont love being so negative about how their year turned out, Im sure they want to and try to see positives and say what an awesome year they had despite the hurdles. But I dont think you should take offence to them being like that and feel like your positives dont matter.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    I agree.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Gosh, how lucky you are that you have not been so utterly devastated by what life can throw at you. That is a positive.

But a little sympathy and empathy does not go astray. Massive trauma such as death takes a massive toll and nothing can feel positive for a long, long time. I'm glad you have not experienced that and I truly hope you never do.

Thanks
    Reviews

Agree with others, you sound pretty selfish in that post, although I can see the point you are trying to make. Great for you that you had a good year, but when others go through massive life changing events like losing a parent or child, I don't see how you can say they are being a "Debbie downer"....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (27-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Vent: Hate when people say "this year has been a terrible year for everyone"

How about this - if your life was so amazing and everything this year had been so perfect this year wouldn't you have enough joy and happiness to hold your own space and let others grieve their losses?

*** edit sorry my post was harsh but seriously your talking about people who've lost family members and about how they are glass half empty.I think that's quite a reasonable explanation for being down.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Last edited by Boobycino; 27-12-2012 at 21:01.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Inked Mumma  (28-12-2012)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think having a parent die and being diagnosed with cancer and having surgery for same all in the same year would be incredibly distressing and traumatic and would overshadow many of the positives, big or small.

It's great you have had a terrific couple of years but a little bit of empathy and compassion for others who have had a pretty miserable time of it can go a long way.
    Cheers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    How about this - if your life was so amazing and everything this year had been so perfect this year wouldn't you have enough joy and happiness to hold your own space and let others grieve their losses without needing them to highfive you?

That this is a *vent* and you *hate* other people being down because you are so happy - cant you just be happy? And be there to support those who've had a **** year?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    ^^^^ this

Thanks
    Reviews

OP, you're truly blessed to be able to focus only on the good.

On balance 2012 was a good year for me. So many good things happened that I took the bad relatively well.

2011 was the reverse for me. I had to accept this to move on to find hope to go on and grab 2012 by the horns.

I don't think many of us who have bad years intentionally focus on the bad or wish the badness on others but looking at bad years as such helps us move on.

I also had no real concept of a bad year until one happened to me. But I hope I've come away from mine with both resilience and empathy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to romaverona For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (27-12-2012)