Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Vent: Hate when people say "this year has been a terrible year for everyone"

I work with some real Debbie downers, one in particular who seems to love being sick, and loves to relate everyone else's tough times to her own (but of course her problems are bigger and worse than everyone else's!). Her favourite thing to say lately has been variations of "2012 has been a terrible year for everyone!" Well 2012 has probably been the best year of my life. Hubby and I celebrated our first year of marriage at the start of this month, we fell pregnant in the first month of trying in May, I've made some terrific progress in my job / career, we've done well financially and are both incredibly satisfied with our lives at the moment. Everyone goes through tough periods, but I can't stand it when people will only look at the negatives in their lives.

Another colleagues father passed away and she was diagnosed with bowel cancer this year. But amongst that, she welcomed a new grandchild, found out her daughter is pregnant so will be welcoming another grandchild early next year, found out the cancer didn't spread and they successfully chopped the growth out of her bowel, and she admitted soon after her father died what a massive relief his passing was after being his carer for the last few years with his suffering from dementia. Yet the main Debbie downer always says "poor A, this has probably been the worst year of her life".

MIL also said that 2011 was a $hit year for everyone because she lost her father, yes it was a really sad time for the family but it was a good year for me, I completed and graduated from my degree and also married her wonderful son!

I think people get so stuck in this negative mindset that they really do miss all the good things that happen in their lives because they're too busy looking out for the next bad thing to complain about. It does offend me a bit because I feel like my positive experiences are disregarded just because some people choose to only focus on the negative!

Sorry, just a massive whinge about glass half empty people ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Vent: Hate when people say "this year has been a terrible year for everyone"

You should read over your post a few times. You sound like the selfish one to me.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gracie's Mum For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (28-12-2012),Inked Mumma  (28-12-2012),LoCo  (27-12-2012)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I like that you're focussing on the positives but I do also agree that you're sounding a little selfish. Overall my year has been average with the cons and pros being about the same. Ive lost my uncle and my closest cousin within a week, my grans twin brother passed away and a lot of other things have happened. Loss really overshadows my pregnancy, my luck and my financial stability. I still can't wait for it to be over and done with while appreciating the good and thinking its a poo year. It's great your life is going well and you appreciate it but you're focussing on the negative people by complaining about them.
    Last edited by αληθη; 27-12-2012 at 21:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seems to me the good things have happened in your life but not for those you are comparing yourself too. Some people really have had a bad 2012 and they're not saying it to be "Debbie downers" they've truly had a sh!t year and probably could use some understanding/empathy. Your post sounds a little look at me!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Alicia92  (27-12-2012),Inked Mumma  (28-12-2012),mama and her little bearxxx  (27-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I hate to say it but 2011 was definitely the worst one for myself and family.

Sometimes life isn't easy and it all does happen to all be in the one year that crappy things occur.

I couldn't wait until the clock hit 2012 last New Years.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Um. Lucky you?

Seriously. Some of the things the people you mentioned have been through are horrific

Even if there are positives, it can be REALLY hard to overcome traumatic life experiences and they definitely put a black cloud over the year, no matter what.

My second son was born in 2011, but it's also the year a friend of mine died. My husband also left me just before I gave birth, because he wanted to be 'free' and single. Unfortunately those experiences have really overshadowed some of the positives, including the birth of my son. Sorry

The same son almost died this year, just prior to being diagnosed with a chronic disease. Therefore I think 2012 has been pretty cruddy too.

I think you need to have a bit of empathy. Everyone deals with things differently.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Alicia92  (27-12-2012),atomicmama  (28-12-2012),Benji  (28-12-2012),Ellewood  (27-12-2012),Gracie's Mum  (27-12-2012),Inked Mumma  (28-12-2012),LoCo  (27-12-2012),MuminMind  (27-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Vent: Hate when people say "this year has been a terrible year for everyone"

Sorry you feel like your positives dont mean much BUT if I went through half the stuff those people went through in one year then yeah I would be a 'negative nancy'. Losing a loved one takes a really long time to get over and I know for me I would feel like I have every right to ***** and moan that I have had a **** year if any of that happened to me.

Im sure they dont love being so negative about how their year turned out, Im sure they want to and try to see positives and say what an awesome year they had despite the hurdles. But I dont think you should take offence to them being like that and feel like your positives dont matter.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (28-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Fair enough, I see where you're all coming from.

I obviously wouldn't say all of this IRL as it would come across like I was boasting (though a lot of what we've achieved has been a result of hard work!)... But I'm just tired of hearing people complain when they have a lot of good things happening too.

But I'll leave it at that as I can see from the responses that have come through so far that there are plenty of people who have had some tough times so don't want to offend :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

I see whAt you mean but Sometimes the bad things that happen take such an emotional and physical toll that they overshadow the good.

In 2006 I spent a month travelling Italy, came home and got my first full time job straight away and loved it, met my hubby and moved in with him, brought a car I adore. Was a great year.
    But I also lost my soul mate when my beautiful gran died, my extended family fell apart, i watched my best friend's parents very slow recovery from a terrible car crash, another friend was left paraplegic from a car crash, my dad lost his job and my brother was nearly sent to jail. So despite the wonderful things that happened, it was the most heart wrenching, exhausting year of my life (so far), and I could not wait for it to be over.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast