+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Looking to do Bachelor of Midwifery - NEED SOME ADVICE !!

Hello

I am looking for some good advice in doing this course. I have been working as an EA for the past 7yrs and really want to get out of the office environment and very interested in studying and working as a midwife.

Basically am a mum to 2 boys 4 1/2yrs old and a 10mth old. My first son starts school in Jan next yr 2013 and am currently looking for part time work maybe 2 days a week as my 2nd is just 10mths old. I just resigned from my full time job as well.

Now my plan was to start the full time course with UWS Parramatta in 2015 as my 2nd will turn 3 and wont need me as much and I will have time to study. But am also thinking if I can maybe start part time either in July or next year to help with time as I know UTS does part time and then transfer full time in 2015 as planned.

I do know its a full on course and needs a lot of commitment, and me coming from an admin area am a bit anxious to if I will be able to do this course. And if this a good idea of doing part time first and then going full time ??

Any mums doing this course please let me know how u are coping doing full time and what advice you can give so I can move further. Or is it a good idea to just wait and do it in 3yrs time ????

If anyone could give me some idea on this that would be great.
    Thanks
    Abigail

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did not do my course at that Uni, but most BMID courses are pretty full on, but certainly doable with kids. I did a BMID course in melbourne, and when I started my kids were 18m, 3.5 and 5.5 years old. I used full time childcare for the younger 2, which is expensive but it gave me the most flexible timetable and used before and after care when needed for my eldest.
    Starting this course was the best thing I ever did. I haven't started my job yet, but I LOVED my prac shifts and absolutely love the job. It is so rewarding and a great career I think.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RHJ For This Useful Post:

abigailsam31  (02-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you RHJ for your reply, gives me some confidence that it is doable with kids.
    Now just want some more information, I might look into starting part time this year just to get started and go full time in a year or two.

Was the theory bit hard ?? I am sure the pracs are more interesting and fun to do ?? As me being from a office/business environment will it be hard to study the theory bit as its of science nature ?? I might start off with the theory bits first obv as being first yr but they say its hard to get into so will have to start trying I guess.

And did you have a lot of assignments to do and how did u manage to study for exams etc with kids ?? some practical tips and advise would be great.

Thank you again.
    Abi

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anatomy and physiology was the hardest part I think, but it was also my favourite part. I hated the fluffier stuff where it was less set as to what you were learning and was more opinion based. Lots of the students came from all different walks of life, and I really don't think anyone found it any easier than another. I did it full time and found the prac helped cement the things I was learning in the theory. I was lucky that my degree (from 2nd year on) we were placed in a hospital 2 days per week during semester, so we got to do the theory along side the prac. It was great. eg the week we learned suture removal, I went to prac on the thurs and Friday and actually got to do it! Makes it much better IMO, but certainly doable part time. Most unis do block placements anyway so it is at the end of semester usually that you do the prac for 2-4 weeks full time.
    Mostly essays I did on the weekends, over a few weeks. I just made sure I knew what was due when and worked away at it. (with most of the work the weekend before it was due ). Exams- I found a small group of friends that were about the same level as me and we took it in turns to do the weekly objectives and basically emailed them to each other so by the time exams were to be done, we had our own completed study guide, which had taken 1/4 of the time.Then we all went away for a weekend just before exams and studied our butts off and also did a few day long sessions during the week at each others homes. It was great because we had each other to question, and usually one of us could explain elements that the others didn't know. We just worked through each weeks objectives and shared out the workload. was great.
    Last edited by RHJ; 04-01-2013 at 11:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow thanks for all the info also they have asked me to attach a personal statement as to why am changing my field. did u ever write one ?? or know any tips on how to write one ?? did u have a science background before ??
    thanks for all ur help !

Thanks
    Reviews
    no, no science background before. TBH I have no idea what I wrote in my personal statement sorry. I can't remember!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with RHJ, The Bachelor of Midwifery is a hard but doable degree to do with children. I am a mother of 5 and started my degree full time in Melbourne in 2012. Once you have a good study routine going it makes life a lot easier. Anatomy and Physiology is certainly the hardest subject you will do. But I really enjoyed it. My advice to anyone considering doing the Bachelor of Midwifery is to give it a go. I wish I had done it earlier. Wish you all the best.