+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anyone travelled to Singapore with bub?

I need some advice on car seats in taxis...

Anyone travelled with a toddler in Singapore?

I'm going for a week and from what my mum tells me, she hasn't seen a single baby car seat in any cars... She's there now with her fiancé (he's from Singapore) and I'm wondering how I will travel in a car with 18month old DS with no car seat?

No idea what to do! I can take my own of course but I'm wondering about the anchor points? If the cabs even have them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hi
    I have been twice with ds
    No car seats.. I had him in a baby Bjorn on my lap - no kidding!
    It still scares me when we go to Asia, but that's how it is!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

That's what I was worried about

If I took a car seat - would there even be anchor points to install it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't taken DD to Singapore, but we've taken her to Malaysia, Japan, and Hong Kong - and it's the same situation there.

My advice is to take your car seat. If you're willing to pay for an extra seat on the plane then a car seat is just amazing. We paid for DD's seat when she was under 2, as she'd got to the point where she was really too big for laps anyway. In the car seat she sleeps on the plane, and she can't wriggle/ get out. She seems much happier in it than when we've gone without it.

If you don't want to pay for a separate seat then it's still worth taking. We've never had a problem fitting it to taxis, although for shorter journeys I have to say that we have just sat her on one of our laps, with an adult seat belt across her and us (lap bit over her, diagonal bit behind her back and in front of us). When she was smaller we used a Baby Bjorn in taxis.

Otherwise, there is great public transport too.
    Last edited by Guest654; 27-12-2012 at 17:28. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

You can possibly arrange for the hotel to get you a limo with a car seat. They do use car seats there but they have no anchor point.

But when we've gone, we took our own carseat and put it in the limo. Used thr seatbelt to restrain as normal but didnt do up top tether strap. There are no anchor points as that's an Australian thing. Not ideal but still safer than nothing at all.

I'd recommend using a limo service from the hotel rather than a cab as you will get an S class merc or similar rather than a rust box POS. that's to get from the airport to hotel. Once we were there we just used the subway.