+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default reocurring Tonsillitis

I will be interested in hearing from others whose little ones have had ongoing tonsillitis. My ds who is nearly 2 had a terrible first year with tonsillitis then infected ears follow. The dr said if it remained the same in his second year we would get referred to the ENT clinic and so we have because just this year he has had it 8 times. It doesn't always turn into tonsilitis which is frustrating because antibiotics don't assist if it's viral and not bacterial so often he is sick for weeks. Tonsils are huge and red but no puss sometimes and other times it's tonsillitis. He recovers a lot quicker when it's tonsilitis and he has antibiotics. He often only has a few weeks of being well before getting sick again. It's like he never completely gets over it and bam it all starts again. So unfair on him being unwell alot of the time. Not sure if they will remove the tonsils this young but at least he will be in the system.

Thanks
    Reviews

I was like that as a teenager and eventually got them removed at 18 best thing I ever did. You can always ask them if they do it that young

Thanks
    Reviews

Same with me. I used to get it 4 times a year and it would last around 4-6 weeks so I was always sick. Finally got my tonsils out at 17 and it's been awesome ever since

Thanks
    Reviews

Your DS sounds exactly like my DD4. she is 10months and had the inflamed throat/tonsils 10 times since birth and every other time her throat is either red or swollen tonsils. She doesn't see the ENT until 5 Feb so can let you know what they say from there.
    DD2 had her tonsils removed straight after her 2nd birthday, she was more prone to ear and nose infections and had swollen but not inflamed tonsils. Once the tonsils were removed her ears and nose have been fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    Your DS sounds exactly like my DD4. she is 10months and had the inflamed throat/tonsils 10 times since birth and every other time her throat is either red or swollen tonsils. She doesn't see the ENT until 5 Feb so can let you know what they say from there.
    DD2 had her tonsils removed straight after her 2nd birthday, she was more prone to ear and nose infections and had swollen but not inflamed tonsils. Once the tonsils were removed her ears and nose have been fine.
    I'm hoping they will get them out when he is 2. Will save him and us going through this all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews

I hope for yours and your sons sake they do take them out at 2. We are hoping they'll take DD4 out after her first birthday but don't like our chances. Goodluck with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My friends little girl had a chronic underlying tonsillitis infection, where she wouldn't get the pussy tonsils each time necessarily but she would always have large, swollen, red tonsils. She had them out (as well as her adenoids which they suspected were harbouring the infection too) when she was 15 months and has been as healthy as a horse since!

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD1 is 7 now and has very large inflamed tonsils but has only had tonsillitis twice since she was 3. When she was 1-3 she has recurring infections with antibiotics approximately 10-15 times but it never went to her ears and was treated very quickly each time with antibiotics. She was referred to an ENT who basically said to come back if she kept having recurring infections over the next year.
    Well she didn't so we never went back.
    As I said before, she is now 7 with large tonsils that get inflamed often but haven't had recurring infections for 3 years. She snores pretty badly for a little girl but is also one of the healthiest children in her class. A GP who I saw last year when I was concerned again over how large they can become, they touch in the middle when inflamed, told me her theory is it's her bodies way of fighting infections and sickness and it works. They get particularly large when she is run down but she tells me and we get her to take it easy. It has become an indicator to her health that we pay attention to.

So I guess my little girl is very lucky to have outgrown the chronic infections that your poor little boy suffers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry typed a big reply but my freaking internet is being a pain and I lost it. In summary:

Yes, they will take them out at 2. A friend's DD had hers out then and she's a changed kid since! She recommended the ENT I saw for DD.

DD had hers out about 5 weeks ago and so far so good. She had a cold a couple of weeks ago - and that's all it was! Any sort of cold or sore throat always used to turn into tonsilitis and/or ear infections needing antibiotics. So nice that some panadol and a couple of days rest and she was 100% again!

Thanks
    Reviews

I had mine taken out when I was 5, and more recently my nephew had his out at 4 due to reoccurring tonsilitis.