+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bfg bub - How often and how long?

DD is 4.5mths but has been the same since about 2mths. She feeds before every nap (generally 4/5 x 40 mins) so around every 2-2.5 hrs. Sometimes she has a quick one minute feed, sometimes she feeds for 5-10 minutes. Probably 2-3 times a day she will want a quick 1-2 minute feed between naps. If she's ever fussy I offer the breast but she doesn't always take it. Before she goes to bed for the night she usually stays on the breast for 20 minutes or so. She only ever takes one side at a time.

We bed share so throughout the night I have no idea how many times she feeds. She wakes a lot and if she doesn't go straight back to sleep after a cuddle I offer it and she'll have a quick feed but always falls asleep pretty quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Demand feeding is feeding whenever bub cries/sqwarks/ needs a nap/wakes from a nap/ whenever you offer a boob and bub takes it.

You can demand feed Ff too!

Routine feeds are when you only offer bub a milk feed at certain times of the day. Routine feeds are not bf friendly in the early days but usually by 3-6mths bub settles into one of sorts and feeds become predictable.

Bubs are definitely more efficient than pumps. And I don't get why women pump bm to then bottle feed 24/7. That's just way too much work for this chook.

At the age your bub is - being attached 24/7 is kinda normal.

There is also a difference between low supply as in your body makes less milk vs low storage where your body only holds a smaller amount but refills quickly. So the more you feed the more you make. Ie my 6mth old dd2 had a lazy morning feed in bed and drained my right boob. Now 1hr later it's full and leaky again as is my left one which is yet to be fed on.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2TwoDSs View Post
    So what you do is called demand feeding type of BFg?

Asking becos I find that I am very puzzled about my BFg experience! If I express I can only get 20-30ml per 3 hourly. But yesterday bub was nursing a lot and he wasn't impatient (maybe he was having a cold so too tired to fuss for a bottle). I didn't time his feeds, just pop him to breast every time he fusses/wakes from naps. I noticed he does swallow and comfort sucks too and that even by comfort sucking he does take bm. And I got worried (like if he was hungry) cos he only took a bit of formula between 7am to 3pm and everything else was from my breasts. I was like is he getting enough? Why isn't he crying for formula top up?

I also notice I am producing milk constantly, but in order to satisfy bub, I probably need to attach him almost 24 by 7!

Is it then true that some BFg mums can only use demand feeding to 100% bf? So far friends I have who 100% bf usually express their milk and bottle feed 3-4hourly at this age (around two months)). I am surrounded by all these mums all these time so my mentality is a normal baby should feed only 3-4hourly at this age. And these friends an express a lot of bm! Are these then mums who can use the method of feeding every3-4 hourly? I can't do what they do cos I can't get that much during expressing. So my question is am I the kind of BFg mums who can only go the demand feeding route if I want to 100% bf?

prior to this episode yesterday I just keep thinking I have low supply cos firstly I couldn't pump more than 30ml every 3-hourly and secondly my baby got very impatient when he is very hungry. Although I heard of demand feeding I don't really know its exact meaning.

Trying very hard to describe my situation hoping you ladies understand my questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2TwoDSs View Post
    So what you do is called demand feeding type of BFg?

Asking becos I find that I am very puzzled about my BFg experience! If I express I can only get 20-30ml per 3 hourly. But yesterday bub was nursing a lot and he wasn't impatient (maybe he was having a cold so too tired to fuss for a bottle). I didn't time his feeds, just pop him to breast every time he fusses/wakes from naps. I noticed he does swallow and comfort sucks too and that even by comfort sucking he does take bm. And I got worried (like if he was hungry) cos he only took a bit of formula between 7am to 3pm and everything else was from my breasts. I was like is he getting enough? Why isn't he crying for formula top up?

I also notice I am producing milk constantly, but in order to satisfy bub, I probably need to attach him almost 24 by 7!

Is it then true that some BFg mums can only use demand feeding to 100% bf? So far friends I have who 100% bf usually express their milk and bottle feed 3-4hourly at this age (around two months)). I am surrounded by all these mums all these time so my mentality is a normal baby should feed only 3-4hourly at this age. And these friends an express a lot of bm! Are these then mums who can use the method of feeding every3-4 hourly? I can't do what they do cos I can't get that much during expressing. So my question is am I the kind of BFg mums who can only go the demand feeding route if I want to 100% bf?

prior to this episode yesterday I just keep thinking I have low supply cos firstly I couldn't pump more than 30ml every 3-hourly and secondly my baby got very impatient when he is very hungry. Although I heard of demand feeding I don't really know its exact meaning.

Trying very hard to describe my situation hoping you ladies understand my questions.
    Yep I demand fed, which as others have said, just means you feed when bub wants - that might be every 1/2 hour or every 3 hours, just pop them on when they wake up/ fuss etc. If DS was having a fussy day or it was hot he could easily feed 1 hourly, then he'd have the odd day of not really being interested and his number of feeds would cut in half. He didn't stretch out to fairly consitent 3-4 hourly feeds until he was around 9 months!

It seems to be so common for people to think bubs of 2-3 months should be on 3-4 hourly feeds, when in reality it seems 1-2 hourly feeds for a bf baby is more the norm (perhaps the 3-4 hourly feeds is more relevant to ff babies?).

Personally I think demand feeding is easier than trying to schedule feed. When DS was 3/4 months old I tried to stretch out his feeds and it just wasn't worth it - all he wanted was boob and nothing could distract him, so I just went back to going with the flow. And as others have said, babies are much more efficient than pumps, so if you're not pumping much I would think expressing and trying to schedule feed would be much harder work than just demand feeding.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Never really paid attention just fed bub whenever they needed it. Fed my first 2 until they were 3 and currently feeding DD who is 17mths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you!

i can't believe it took me 8 years and two bubs to realise this. I cried my eyes out with DS1 cos I thought I had low supply. Even the LC I saw 10 days after his birth told me I saw her too late . And I never knew about nursing more to bring in more milk. A friend lent me her double pump and told me to pump every 3 hours. She had lots milk but she had trouble latching her bub so she fully expressed. So when I pumped and got 30ml I just thought I had low supply. I continued pumping for 6 months giving 30ml of BM to DS1 and doing formula top ups every feed!

With DS2 I learnt more that latching helps bring in more milk but the routine feeding thing was stuck in my head since I am surrounded by mums who express a lot. Dh was shocked that I am always trying to stick DS2 to my boobs. He didn't understand and since my understanding of demand feeding was warped, I too thought its crazy having bub at boobs all the time. He even told me just to use the pump.

I could not understand demand feeding cos then if bub is constantly at boobs, where are we going to find time to do things? What about driving an older kid to school and bub wants to bf? How do you get to pee or do a poo? Won't your sleep be extremely broken and of poor quality? That's the reason a lot of mums express around me. A friend expresses and lets her DH feed bub (same age as my bub 10-11 weeks) 150-200ml BM at night and her bub can stretch 4 hours. If she BF her bub wakes every 2 hours.

I guess routine feeding is convenient(except the washing n sterilising of equipment n bottles) if mum has lots milk to be expressed. I am one that doesn't have much when I express (my boobs are small so I think my 'catchment area' is small too), so I think demanding feeding is what is working for me, but it takes me two months after DS2's birth for me to realise. And it's a bit late in that he will get impatient since he has been exposed to bottles all this time.

It's tricky business to get him onto my boobs full time (I just did when he was really hungry and he wasn't happy till I gave him some formula). By the look of it, I can only try to pop him to my boobs as much as I can but give him top ups when he gets impatient.

I am glad I didn't give up bfg totally as I struggled so hard these two months (worse than with DS1) since I thought it didn't work again. I kept questioning becos I just don't believe I can have a baby and not being able to BF. i am very stubborn. And so many women gave up too. I think it's just that many of us cannot grasp about demand demanding and are too stuck with the routine feeding concept?

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi again OP

Bubby's tummy is roughly the size of his fist and breast milk is much more nutritionally dense so you will find that your DS may not need as much breast milk per feed to be satisfied but he may feed more frequently as breast milk is digested more quickly than formula. Hope that makes sense!

Demand feeding is probably the best way to go until both you and your DS settle into your breast feeding relationship. Every baby is different so what woks for your friends might not work for you and your bub.

All the best, once established breast feeding is so easy and convenient and the cuddles and downtime you get with bub is wonderful too

ETA: I just read your last post. Yeah it can feel like you permanently have a baby stuck to your boob while things are settling down but once your supply matches his needs then he won't be at your boobs as much and he will become more efficient at getting the milk out so he won't feed as long either.

Also, if you're worried about him becoming frustrated at the difference between bottle and boob then try to limit bottle use as much as possible. Babies tend to prefer the bottle as the don't have to work as hard to get the milk.
    Last edited by GirlyWirly; 28-12-2012 at 10:22.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlyWirly For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (28-12-2012)