+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bfg bub - How often and how long?

Can I ask those mums who 100% BF how often in 24 hours and how long is each feed for your bubs who's between 6-11 weeks old? Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DS was that age he was feeding every 2ish hours during the day, would have a period of cluster feeding in the afternoon/evening (so would feed every 1/2 - 1 hour from roughly 4-7pm) and generally 1 feed overnight, sometimes none. He was a very quick feeder, not usually more than 10 minutes per feed.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post
    When DS was that age he was feeding every 2ish hours during the day, would have a period of cluster feeding in the afternoon/evening (so would feed every 1/2 - 1 hour from roughly 4-7pm) and generally 1 feed overnight, sometimes none. He was a very quick feeder, not usually more than 10 minutes per feed.
    Same as decemberbubba for both my girls except my DD2 was still having 1-2 feeds overnight too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Mine are usually every 2 hours day and night at that age. I never time feeds, sorry. They just fed when they wanted it for as long as they want it. I have 6 healthy happy kids.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (28-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At that age my DD fed for 1 1/2 hours, every 2 hours, round the clock. So there was a half hour break. I think there's a wide range of normal at that age. As long as they are hydrated and gaining weight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2TwoDSs View Post
    Can I ask those mums who 100% BF how often in 24 hours and how long is each feed for your bubs who's between 6-11 weeks old? Thanks.
    Dd1- 1-2hrly feeds between 6am-7pm with a 2-4 x 45-1.5hr naps during the day. Each feed 30-45min. Cluster feeds 4-7
    No overnight feeds.

Dd2- 1-3hrly feeds with 2-3 good 2-3hr naps daytime and 2-4 overnight feeds usually 3-4hrs. 5-10min feeds.

With both girls I offered boob hourly or whenever I sat down. Every afternoon/evening I tried to dedicate 2-3hrs booby time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So what you do is called demand feeding type of BFg?

Asking becos I find that I am very puzzled about my BFg experience! If I express I can only get 20-30ml per 3 hourly. But yesterday bub was nursing a lot and he wasn't impatient (maybe he was having a cold so too tired to fuss for a bottle). I didn't time his feeds, just pop him to breast every time he fusses/wakes from naps. I noticed he does swallow and comfort sucks too and that even by comfort sucking he does take bm. And I got worried (like if he was hungry) cos he only took a bit of formula between 7am to 3pm and everything else was from my breasts. I was like is he getting enough? Why isn't he crying for formula top up?

I also notice I am producing milk constantly, but in order to satisfy bub, I probably need to attach him almost 24 by 7!

Is it then true that some BFg mums can only use demand feeding to 100% bf? So far friends I have who 100% bf usually express their milk and bottle feed 3-4hourly at this age (around two months)). I am surrounded by all these mums all these time so my mentality is a normal baby should feed only 3-4hourly at this age. And these friends an express a lot of bm! Are these then mums who can use the method of feeding every3-4 hourly? I can't do what they do cos I can't get that much during expressing. So my question is am I the kind of BFg mums who can only go the demand feeding route if I want to 100% bf?

prior to this episode yesterday I just keep thinking I have low supply cos firstly I couldn't pump more than 30ml every 3-hourly and secondly my baby got very impatient when he is very hungry. Although I heard of demand feeding I don't really know its exact meaning.

Trying very hard to describe my situation hoping you ladies understand my questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Remember You will never be able to express as much as bub can drink. He is so much better at emptying a boob than we can by hand or machine. Your breast will make as much as he needs. Yes the more he sucks the more milk you will produce. (there are foods etc that will also boost your supply)

As for routine vs demand feeding... It really up to you. I find with demand feeding my life is so much easier. The is no fussing or stressing over times etc.. I see it like me if I eat when i am hungry rather than the clock I am more settled and happier. Feeding by the clock can work it just not my style. I am so busy that demand feeding works better for both bub and me.

with demand feeding you don't worry about the amount they are eating because you know if they are hungry they will fed again. Remember they have very small tummies that can't hold much.

I still express from time to time to have spare milk in the freezer in-case I need hubby to take him for a bit or if I am going on a long car trip etc....

Sorry if I am a bit scatter brained this morning my dog and the neighbour dog keep insisting there is someone in my yard and i am home alone with 5 kids so i haven't slept much. ( i think it is the new neighbours securty light that they think is a person)

Thanks
    Reviews

DD is 4.5mths but has been the same since about 2mths. She feeds before every nap (generally 4/5 x 40 mins) so around every 2-2.5 hrs. Sometimes she has a quick one minute feed, sometimes she feeds for 5-10 minutes. Probably 2-3 times a day she will want a quick 1-2 minute feed between naps. If she's ever fussy I offer the breast but she doesn't always take it. Before she goes to bed for the night she usually stays on the breast for 20 minutes or so. She only ever takes one side at a time.

We bed share so throughout the night I have no idea how many times she feeds. She wakes a lot and if she doesn't go straight back to sleep after a cuddle I offer it and she'll have a quick feed but always falls asleep pretty quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I agree with the demand feeding, I just feed my son as much as he wants, whenever he wants and if he's hungry 10 mins later, I just feed him again. As long as they have wet nappies, don't worry too much about what they are getting. The more they feed, the more milk you will produce