+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Can babies sleep thru without being swaddled?

Hi,

My DS is 11 weeks & no matter what product I have brought he is continually getting out of it & waking himself up during the night.

He is a perfect nite sleeper when he stays wrapped up so my question is, do babies still sleep well & thru the night unswaddled? No doubt I'm going to have to transition him so how would i do that? What age does the startle reflex & sucking reflex stop?

Thanks
    Reviews

Have u tried the Love To Dream Swaddle Up? Worked well for my
    DS who was always escaping his swaddle.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't swaddle my DD (the dr in hospital said 'don't worry about this swaddling business') and she slept through (7hrs plus) from 7 or 8 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Neither of our boys liked being swaddled and they slept just fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    We stopped swaddling our boy when we went to sleep school...he was about 14 weeks, I think. It has not made any difference at all....ie, he does not sleep through but this isn't related to swaddling...his sleep is much better since the sleep school experience...and consequently, since no longer being swaddled. We eased him out of the swaddle over a few nights...first with one arm out...then with both arms out and his lower torso swaddled...next no swaddle...just a sleeping bag. Don't be afraid...

EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hollychops View Post
    Have u tried the Love To Dream Swaddle Up? Worked well for my
    DS who was always escaping his swaddle.
    Yep we have tried this but he just keeps sucking his hand too much & wakes up from all the sucking. It did manage to hold his arms in though :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Albert01 View Post
    We stopped swaddling our boy when we went to sleep school...he was about 14 weeks, I think. It has not made any difference at all....ie, he does not sleep through but this isn't related to swaddling...his sleep is much better since the sleep school experience...and consequently, since no longer being swaddled. We eased him out of the swaddle over a few nights...first with one arm out...then with both arms out and his lower torso swaddled...next no swaddle...just a sleeping bag. Don't be afraid...
    Thanks for the tips, I'm gonna start letting him have one arm out for his day sleeps for a few days & the slowly transition from there I think :-) plus it's getting way too hot here in Sydney in the nights & I'm really worried about him overheating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Have you tried a woombie? It would be very hard for bubs to escape one of the right size. My dd was in them til 8 months and never escaped. But even if swaddling works it does not guarantee a long sleep. Bubs may not sleep through for some time yet.

Thanks
    Reviews

Definitely try a woombie. DS loved him until he was about 12-14 weeks. We then moved to sleepy wings and then went with just a sleeping bag as of six months with no issues.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Can babies sleep thru without being swaddled?

A miracle blanket is the only one that holds my ds in. it is a bit warm though (as it wraps around a couple of times) so we have the aircon on at night. He has a very big startle reflex and this works for us.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub