+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Men shouldn't be present at birth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...rth-child.html

An interesting article.
    For those that have time to read it let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Pfft!! My DH was the most amazing support person! I couldn't have done it without him.

The midwives mostly left me alone until push time so DH would rub my back during every contraction, He was amazing! I would never dream of not having him by my side.

DH wasn't at all freaked about being at my birth, didn't change our relationship at all. He would never leave me alone to birth our child.
    Last edited by waterlily; 27-12-2012 at 11:52.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Kiplusthree  (27-12-2012),wrena  (27-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it is a load of bollocks.
    DH was present at both my births and I couldn't imagine it any other way, he wasn't a hindrance at all. He helped me keep calm and my labours were very fast so he certainly didn't slow them down by being there. It hasn't had a negative affect on our relationship afterwards, quite the opposite actually.
    DH will be right there with me again when my third is born and that's how we both want it to be. It would be awful not having him there at such a special time in our life.
    Last edited by MothersMilk; 27-12-2012 at 12:08.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think SOME men shouldnt be present and can understand that SOME would be 'scared off' for whatever reason after witnessing something sooo.....real. BUT...those men probably dont know they are those men until after they witness it so really, what can you do?
    FOB was amazing when I was in labour with DS.
    I have told DP that he is not to leave me alone when I give birth next year...if I was alone I would be terrified. Having him there will comfort me even though he will have no real 'use' if you know what I mean.
    Meanwhile a friend of mine didnt have her partner with her when she gave bith as he has a phobia about hospitals. He would have caused more stress than anything so he wasnt there and rarely visited for the few days afterwards. Seemed sooo incredibly stupid to me and others but I dont have that phobia (hospitals actually soothe me more than frighten me) so cant begin to imagine what it would be like.

This OB is entitled to his professional opinion but we dont need to agree with it. Times change, people change, routines change, things ebb and flow...and the world keeps spinning

6. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Missbean  (28-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My ex partner wasn't with me when I laboured or delivered and I was really upset by that for years, but now when I think about my intervention and drug-free labour and delivery, I wonder how things would have gone if he'd been there? I have no hope of keeping my current partner out of the birthing suite when I have our baby one day, but I do tend to agree with the main points of this article

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

That was interesting!
    Im sure people his age would agree, some very old school opinions.

I agree with pp 'some' men shouldnt be in a birthing room.
    For men who leave their wives or no longer find her attractive thats just too pathetic....I have no words.

I found DH helpful with DS, so did the midwives. However, It does irritate me when I hear a woman insist they could not have given birth without their husband present, makes me feel the same as "we're pregnant" but thats just me.

I think when having a baby you know best how your partner would cope, and wether to have him there.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Men shouldn't be present at birth.

The birth of my son was very stressful and traumatic for me and I am so glad I had my husband there. When I was rushed into theatre for an emergency c-section, he disappeared for about a minute and that terrified me!
    If he wasn't there I think I would have been more scared during the whole birth and far more depressed after it than I already was and he would have been less understanding of the whole situation. I am so thankful that he was there and knew exactly what I went through and so was able to support and assist me both during and after.
    The OB in the article has some good points, but, for me, having my husband present was the best thing for me, him, and our baby and we will do the same for our next.

Sent from my umbrella

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pfffft. 'Men can't cope emotionally??' How condescending.

DH was a massive support and help both times and without him I would have been pretty much on my own for long periods. No thanks.

Its a personal decision for the couple involved. But to say men are a hindrance and can't cope and shouldn't be there as a blanket statement is insulting.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Kiplusthree  (27-12-2012),Lovemyfam  (28-12-2012),mama and her little bearxxx  (27-12-2012),RobinSparkles  (27-12-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

One ob I actually totally agree with. I do believe the best place for a woman to give birth is alone in a dark quiet place or with just a very quiet unobtrusive midwife present. I can't see anyone here on bh agreeing in our culture of fear based birth though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (27-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    couldnt even read the whole story what an utter load of SH!T

15. The Following User Says Thank You to *Need~More~Coffee~Please* For This Useful Post:

Kiplusthree  (27-12-2012)