+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Newborn question - during hospital stay. Sensitive question about SIDS

Just a question about the couple of days you stay in hospital after the baby is born.

My last baby was in NICU straight after she was born for an extended period so I never had the experience of having her in the room with me immediately after birth, hence why I ask this question.

When you're in your room after the birth, and the baby is in it's little hospital cot, who watches them to make sure they're still breathing etc??? Like obviously the mother would but even she has to sleep sometime and I'm assuming a nurse isn't in the room 24/7 with them. Do they use motion detector monitors or sats monitors?? I've already had one baby pass away (not from this), I dont think I could cope with another one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Sorry to hear about you loss. Perhaps you could bring in your own under mattress breathing monitor to use? As far as I know they don't monitor the babies unless they're in the special care nursery or NICU.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There are no monitors unless medically indicated. Really, you just trust that they do what they are made to do. (plus newbies snuffle and grunt and gurgle which while noisy, is very comforting to hear)

ETA sorry, submitted too soon....meant to say to talk to the midwives about your previous loss, they might be able to support you in checking more often while you sleep and counsell you in the anxiety you will naturally feel.
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 26-12-2012 at 23:18.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

ChangedMyMind  (26-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Newborn question - during hospital stay. Sensitive question about SIDS

I'm so sorry you've lost a little one.
    When I had DS he was in a bassinet right next to my bed. There wasn't any monitor or motion sensor but I'm sure you could bring your own in to use.
    The midwife checked on us overnight but I'm not sure how often.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry about your loss.

And, what everyone else said...

my two cents...
    I vote talk to the midwives. I know my tutor mentioned during class that sometimes they take the unsettled bubs down the nurses station so mum can get rest (unrested mum= can be harder for milk to come in), but I don't know if that's just his hospital (yes, my tutor is a male midwife, and he is AWESOME!!!!) or what. I never noticed anyone doing it at where I gave birth, but it wasn't something I was looking for, to be honest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Depending on your hospital but some have a nursery or night nannies that help out with minding bub whilst you get a couple of hours sleep.

Generally there are no sensors provided for bub in routine births. I found that I generally woke up as soon as bubs breathing changed ie long deep sleep breaths to shorter ones as their sleep cycles changes and went back to sleep as they went back into deep sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm sorry about your loss. Like others have said generally there are no monitors provided but i bought one called a respisense that clips onto bubs nappy that will alarm. I found it very comforting and very easy to take places as its just like a little pager. Good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Linda01 For This Useful Post:

ChangedMyMind  (28-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

In the hospital I had DD in she was just next to me in her own cot. They were extremely conscious of checking the bedding to ensure it was SIDS compliant and how we put her down.

I found I woke to her little noises and to be honest she was hungry so often that we only got short stints of sleep anyway.

They didn't like to take her away from mum unless it was absolutely necessary. They did have night nannies to help settle and they were great. I'm sure if they know your situation they will do some extra checking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

DS was right beside me as other PP have said.

However the nurses basically forced me (in a good way) to have a few hours rest, so took bub down to nursery so his gurgling wouldn't wake me up so often!

If you explain your situation, I'm sure the nurses would help you by checking more regularly. You could also take your own sensor for peace of mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

My ds was in Special care from birth, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect when dd came along either.

Honestly my dd slept very little during the night so it wasn't an issue. My dd was phlegmy on her first night and when the midwife settled me into my room (at 1am-ish) my dd coughed up some mucus so the midwife suggested she go down to special care so the midwives could watch her & I could sleep. I was reluctant to let her go anywhere as having my ds in special care and not in my room was hard emotionally. BUT, it was only for a few hours and we both got much needed rest. On the other nights I slept very little as my dd fed a lot and was irritable a lot too. I let the midwives take her to special care (as a 'boarder') so I could get a bit of sleep too. It's pretty common for that to be an option in private hospitals.

I'd definitely chat with your Ob/midwife before hand and on the ward and I'm sure they'll help you watch bubs.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

ChangedMyMind  (28-12-2012)