+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Makeup Book

Im looking for a make up book tgat will show me basics eg smokey eyes but then also show other looks. Turns out there are heaps and also alot of reviews. So was wonder if anyone has brought one and if they would recomend it? Im thinking about doing a makeup artist course but want to know more. Thank you

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Does it have to be a book? There are heaps of tutorials on youtube. That is where I go if I want to learn a make up or hair trick.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

MoonMoon  (26-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Makeup Book

I have looked up toutorials online but would love to have something to read and look at without having to find reception on my phone or hide my phone from ds lol.
    It would be easier for me to read than to fight a almost 2yr old for my phone cause he wants to listen to music lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Makeup Book

I have a few, Rae Morris Makeup Ultimate Guide is good. I also like the Bobbi Brown one but never got around to getting it.

I've done a makeup course and dabbled in the industry so if I can help let me know

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you Teenz.
    I have looked up rae before and she does amazing work but got mixed reviews from a couple of her books.
    I have so many questions floating in my head atm lol. Ill start with a couple if you dont mind lol
    How much did your course cost all up?
    What courses did you do?
    Did you get alot or little work out of it all?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Makeup Book

Quote Originally Posted by Youngish87 View Post
    Thank you Teenz.
    I have looked up rae before and she does amazing work but got mixed reviews from a couple of her books.
    I have so many questions floating in my head atm lol. Ill start with a couple if you dont mind lol
    How much did your course cost all up?
    What courses did you do?
    Did you get alot or little work out of it all?

My course was expensive - about $4K for a cert 2 about 7 years ago. Thus was because they included a makeup kit. Back then there wasn't a lot of option in Brisbane for courses and went with this one due to the kit they provided (which in hindsight wasn't that great!).

Unfortunately I didn't get a lot of work out of it. I wanted to work at Myer or DJs before venturing out on my own. It was so hard to even get an interview though

Though, a few years later I decided to try my hand at just starting a business. I got some bridal work but I stopped not long after as I was too impatient to build up my business and skills. I love makeup and it was all or nothing for me so since I couldn't get some retail work I just left it at that. I miss it!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh sorry it didnt turn out for you. It does seem like a hard industry to get into and to get a foot in any door seems harder. Maybe ill just stick to doing my make up and friends make up lol.
    Thank you for answering im still in the head spin if where I want my life to go which path to take while I can lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Makeup Book

Kevin Aucoin books are pretty awesome. Also have a Bobbi Brown one.

I've done the cert 2 as well and tbh, even if you do the diploma you're unlikely to get a job out of makeup qualifications unless you've got a ton of connections.

You could always consider beauty therapy... Makeup is part of the curriculum so you do learn some (less than you would for a cert 2 though)... And then if you get a job in a salon you can still do makeup jobs sometimes.

I've just started work as a spa therapist and it's awesome. Still planning on trying to pick up some makeup work in future but it'll be more for enjoyment than actually earning. Recently did makeup for a photo shoot for a band poster which was an experience. Would be good to do more work like that.

Anyway... Good luck with the make up! I actually think its usually easier to learn by simply looking at pics and copying that. With time you pick up how to deal with certain styles, eye shapes, etc anyway and if its mostly to do on yourself, you only need to learn how to work with your own eyes anyway. Mess around in front of a mirror and get a feel for it all. Good brushes will be your most important tool... And patience and a steady hand.

Thanks
    Reviews

Its a bummer that its hard to find a job in the industry unless you know someone to help get the foot in the door. I love playing with make up and not even leaving the house lol. Maybe ill go with my 2nd option and do a hair dressing course. That way I can work from home and also do their makeup so they have the full experiance and not great hair and a nautral face. Cause lets face it when we have a new hair cut we love to show it off and with great makeup makes it all better lol
    I purchused 32 professional brushes and there not the cheap china ones either.(was my xmas present to myself )

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Makeup Book

Adding hairstyling would be good if you still wanted to do your makeup cert. I'm not sure what kind of area you wanted to get into, but for example if you wanted to do bridal brides love having one person do both hair and MU. So you could always do both (finances permitting) and see where it takes you just food for thought.

Agree with above - I have a Kevin Aucoin book and its great! He was such a talented man.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Teenz For This Useful Post:

Youngish87  (27-12-2012)