+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default metformin and cycle length

i have been on metformin for about 3 months. my cycle has always been about 25 days long, even before taking metformin. taking it has reduced how long i bleed for, but cycle length has stayed the same. so far, this cycle is up to day 41 and showing no signs of my pd starting. is this a normal metformin side effect, or could i possibly be pregnant??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hi, ive only been taking metformin for a short time but it doesnt sound like a normal side effect so id be POS ASAP!!! Fingers crossed for good news

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: metformin and cycle length

I've been on metformin for a year or so now. It hasn't affected my cycle at all.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    ok , i have done a home preg test, but was negative. so im guessing probably a side effect..?? has anyone been on met for a long period of time and had this happen, or know any reason for it?? im only taking metformin, not any contraceptives, so from my understNding it shouldnt happen.plesse please, if anyone can help it would be great. docs havent been very useful to me on info about pcos so will only go to them as a last resort.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello! I have just joined but feel like I should reply as I had absolutely no idea about metformin when I started on it! First of all what dose are you on?
    Me- I have been on it since mid August, 1000mg, for PCOS, and was pregnant by late sept, so pretty quickly after 2 years TTC!- that resulted in a missed miscarriage 5.5 weeks ago and I have stayed on the metformin (which is another debate in itself about whether to stay on while pg) and now I have possibly found myself pg again without having had a period since the mc and d&c (to be confirmed with blood test results on Sunday).
    So, in answer to your question, the metformin should not be making your period late, unless you are on such a low dose that it isn't working, or you are pregnant... My cycles stayed the same, 29 days. Are you sure you have been ovulating? And have you previously tried clomid? Sorry this is so long!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm on 500mg twice a day. We have been ttc for about 2 years aswell, no luck at all.
    I wouldn't have a clue if I'm ovulating our not, i don't know how to tell.
    My docs won't put me on clomid until i loose weight (supposibly anyway) they say clomid doesn't work at all on people over 100kg (I'm just over that, but have lost weight since starting metformin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm surprised that your dr hasn't put you on a higher dose- at one point I was on 1000mg in morning and 500mg at night, ad that's what I got pg on- the higher the dose the more weight you will lose and it should also fix your pcos up a bit- my understanding is that pcos is insulin resistance and the side effect of that is the cysts- therefore metformin sorts your insulin out as its a diabetic medication, then the cysts go down and you become fertile. Does that make sense? I'd ask for a higher dose if I were you- if you're definately not pg

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also forgot to say that I was on clomid for 6 months and it didn't work for me, it just made me really depressed, like a different person, but everyone is different! Also use the ovulation predicting kits or you can ask your dr for a test to find out if you're concerned

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think what your dr said about the clomid not working on people who weigh more than 100kg is right. I was close to 130kg when I started taking it as I have PCOS and it helped me ovulate regularly. I took it for 5 months before I got pregnant with dd2. With hard work and persistence I am down to 114.5kg and falling.

I don't know but maybe it's time for a second opinion??? Yes losing weight will help your fertility but it isn't always that way for everyone.......

Best of luck