+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default save our sleep questions

first time on this forum so hoping others cab help. I am looking at the save our sleep book and had a few questions - unfortunately you have to pay to access the books forum site so hoping others who have used the book may be able to assist. some are probably daft or simple but it is our first bubs so please forgive me.

the book has various routines which specify times for the baby to feed on each breast. however, the hind milk is obviously very important. so I am a little unsure how to best balance the length of feeds versus making sure the baby is getting the important hind milk. does anyone have any thoughts / suggestions?

much appreciated,
    kerry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hi, sorry I havent read the book but with my DS he was wanting to be fed all the time and never for long. So I read online and they said that hind milk is important. So what I did was to make sure i let him stay on the boob for as long as possible. If he let go I would burp him, give him a change and offer it to him again.
    With DD I am doing the same. She has a feed every 3-4 hours at night sometimes 5. During the day every 2-3hours.

Thanks
    Reviews

Usually DD stays on the boob for 10min, as they get older the time spent on the boob is shorter because they can suck better. I was and still feeding on demand, she is now 2 months old, she has her own little routine. I will adjust her routine a bit if needed when she's 6 months by then she will be on solids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

You will get lots of varied options on SOS on this forum...

We used SOS for both kids but tbh it didn't suit our eldest, and we didn't use it till each kid was 3 months old. Before that, we just let bub feed as they wanted.

However, for breAstfeeding, and especially if your bub is very young (some will say no matter how old), keep feeding one on breast until your b00b feels empty. If you don't, you risk bub not getting the hind milk.

Don't forget that the book is just a guide, don't treat it as gospel. Enjoy your baby and let them lead you with their needs

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: save our sleep questions

No advice on what to do, other than maybe ring the Australian Breastfeeding Association as they are fully qualified lactation consultants and whilst I like Tizzie Halls routines and settling advice, I'm not entirely sure about how accurate her bf advice is.

Thanks
    Reviews

When the milk contains more hind milk is totally dependent on each mother - for example when I was pumping for my DD in the NICU I had a ridiculous over supply and had loads of watery fore milk- when I started bf my dd she couldn't really get any hind milk at all and ended up feeding frequently and very gassy (the fore milk has more lactose). After my supply regulated it was a different story.

So, the timing will vary for each mother and baby. I've read SOS and I would suggest to use everything as just a guide and adjust it to suit you and your baby. I don't follow the timing of the routines at all and think they are ambitious to have so few feeds over the course of a day, but on the other hand I loved the self settling techniques and my DD is a dream to put down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: save our sleep questions

I wouldnt feed a baby a prescribed amount of time per breast. Different babies feed at different speeds, some breast flow faster or slower (like not just woman to woman but breast to breast lol ), and some times babies take their time. So same goes for don't panic if after 5 minutes baby is full, some babies become very efficient feeders.

If you like SOS take what works, forget what doesn't sit right, keep in mind while SOS is a "best seller" the author is not really an "expert", you know your baby. If you think baby needs more milk - keep feeding.

Good luck

(And honestly I think SOS has far better use as mulch or as a fire starter but I know some people find some value in it)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Catkin  (26-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I would not use THs advice on bf as she is not a medical professional (LC or MD).

You may find her timings useful when bub is over 12wks old but interfering with bf feeds by scheduling or timing them is not conducive to a long term bf relationship.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Here is some information about hindmilk/foremilk. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...milk-hindmilk/

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to follow the sleep times but only roughly follow the bf times. I used squeeze some more feeds in especially in the evening. As a first time mum, read her book and thought her to be a knowledgeable expert. I read it again after I had my second child and I realised what BS the majority of the book was

12. The Following User Says Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (26-12-2012)