+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby alarms/monitors

Looking for recommendations for baby monitors/alarms that are motion sensitive.

I have been looking at the Angelcare Sound and Movement Monitor which was going to be our pick but I notice it says "Alarm will sound after 20 seconds if no movement is detected" and 20 seconds is far too long.

Our baby daughter passed away earlier this year, within seconds, and we were at the hospital at the time so if they couldnt revive her within 20 seconds we certainly wouldnt be capable of doing it at home after a longer period.

Does anyone know of any monitors with a shorter alarm time?

The sound part of it isnt so important as we have a very small house so we can hear from any part of the house and the baby will sleep in our room for the first few months anyway so we'll be able to hear if he wakes up during the night but if we're asleep we wont know if he's stopped breathing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Oh gosh I'm so sorry for you loss of your baby girl. That's awful. I have the monitors you described but now am thinking they provide a false sense of security. I still use them at 19 months.
    I know there is one that clips to a nappy that is used on high risk SIDS Babies. Not sure where yo get it though. It's meant to be the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I never considered one of those monitors as it has a high rate of going off without good cause (usually cause bubs has rolled off the mat). I know with my daughter they would have been useless as she was a wriggle worm from the moment she was born and she was rolling at 1 month (yes, just over 4 weeks of age).

I suggest talking to your hospital/Ob about hiring or buying a hospital grade monitor - one that attaches directly to the bub somehow. The main thing I would suggest though is planning to have bubs in a bassinet or cot in your room with you for the first 6 months as well if at all possible (although you need to be able to sleep and relax and I think the monitor will definitely help you do that).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

Missbean  (27-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hire/buy a hospital quality apnoea monitor- if your local hospital doesn't have them RCH in Melb hires them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

So sorry for your loss. I use an Angelcare but I can understand why this does not suit your needs. I think the Halo Snuza is the one pp referred to that clips to nappies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babysense 2 alarms when breathing is reduced to les than 10 in 1 minute or if no breathing for 20 seconds.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mousky For This Useful Post:

SpongebobMummyPants  (27-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I am so sorry to hear about your DD. We have the babysense 2 by Oricom. It detects when breathing has slowed down. I didnt want something that alerted us once it may have been too late! We got a great deal on bubsngrubs. It was $199 and came with a bonus baby monitor. We already had a monitor but will keep as a back up. We havent put our DD (11 weeks old) in the cot yet but will start doing so soon.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ81 For This Useful Post:

ChangedMyMind  (27-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    The main thing I would suggest though is planning to have bubs in a bassinet or cot in your room with you for the first 6 months as well if at all possible (although you need to be able to sleep and relax and I think the monitor will definitely help you do that).
    Yes he will have a bassinette next to our bed until he cant fit in it anymore. My concern is with what I cant hear while I'm sleeping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ChangedMyMind View Post
    Yes he will have a bassinette next to our bed until he cant fit in it anymore. My concern is with what I cant hear while I'm sleeping.

so sorry for your loss!! that's a terrible thing to go through and its totally understandable that you would be anxious.
    Yup that's why we have the monitor in the bassinett which is next to my side of the bed... I agree even if bub was next to you if you were asleep you would never know if they were not breathing.
    We have the babysense2. and I see what you mean 20 sec is a long time (sometimes I take her out and manage to walk to another room before it goes off) however it has the 10 breath per min sensor. I dont know what else is out there but I think this is reasonable as newborns do sometimes have irregular breathing patterns (sometimes Id be holding DD and she would stop breathing for 5 sec and then start again... or if I would hold my breath she'd do the same...)
    However I can say that the mats for the babysense2 are quite big and I only once had the sensor go off because she rolled in a corned... and there are two mats that connect for the cot when they are bigger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Baby alarms/monitors

I'm so sorry for your loss.

We have a snuza halo for katelyn, it attaches to her nappy under clothes and measures movement directly, so it's portable it could come with us to visit people etc it vibrates after 15 seconds to start to rouse the baby & alarms at 20. It Came off her nappy a few times and I'd wake at the vibrate. Also if it goes to 15 seconds twice in a period of time it will alarm also.

Be mindful as well that under mattress movement monitors can be very very sensitive and pick up movement in the room - like a fan. We took back a tommee tippee because in summer with a pedastool fan it took up to 4 minutes to go off after I'd picked him up out of the cot. Though I think you can adjust the settings.

I had an apnea monitor from hospital after jasper stopped breathing at home, and that alarmed at 20 seconds. It's 4 years ago now but I think it might have started a warning buzz at 10-15 seconds. But we were told periods of 10 seconds is normal - because it also ticked continually for each breath.

Maybe look at apnea monitors you might be able to buy, borrow or hire one?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub