+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How long to feel 'normal' after laparoscopy?

Hi!

I'm new and have a question for those who have had a laparoscopy for endo. How long did it take for you to feel 'normal' again?

I had a laparoscopy a week ago for drainage of bilateral chocolate cysts (one was 7cm!) and ablation of other endometrioma's, although the rectovaginal disease was not addressed. I was discharged two days later but I've been nauseous with some vomiting and still have some shoulder pain. I'm glad we didn't have any visitors for Christmas!

I knew that I would feel bad for a while but I thought that the nausea and shoulder pain would be gone after a few days and I'd be almost 'back to normal' in a week.
    Was this just wishful thinking? Any info about your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I had keyhole surgery for tubal reversal with some exploration & d&c while they were in there.

It took me 2 weeks to feel like I was getting back to normal. First week I was wiped out. I'm 3 weeks post surgery today & I feel great. Still some weird pains but I think it's just my insides healing

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ourbradybunch For This Useful Post:

inbetweeners  (26-12-2012),PeaSoup  (26-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    it took me two weeks to recover from the surgery. The first week was awful with the shoulder pain from gas, pain from surgery and nausea. DF had to lift me out of bed and take me to the toilet or shower it was so painful in those first few days. Could also bately keep any food down.

You should be almost through the worst. By end of week 2 i was fine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to inbetweeners For This Useful Post:

PeaSoup  (26-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Took me about 6 weeks as I ended up getting an infection in my uterus which knocked me around and kept me very tender.
    Ended up having to go back into hospital.
    Keep an eye on the vomiting, as that was one of the signs of my infection.

I'm sure your fine though
    But just keep it in mind of you don't start feeling better

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lumi For This Useful Post:

PeaSoup  (26-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When I had my gall bladder out laparoscopically the surgeon reminded me it was a major abdominal operation, just without the big outside scars to show for it. It took me 2.5 weeks to get back to work and then I still struggled.

I was mostly just sore & tired though, no vomiting/shoulder pain.

If you're still vomiting a week after surgery I'd be ringing the hospital/doctor and see if you need to go back in to get checked out.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

PeaSoup  (26-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Hey there Peasoup, I'm sorry you are feeling poorly, laps seem like an easy thing to go through on the surface of it, but they can really knock you around.

I've had 3 laps for endo, 1st was just like what you described, r/o endometrioma but the endoscopic surgeon wasn't experienced enough to separate the adhesions between my uterus & rectum (sorry if tmi). That one took me a good week before I could even contemplate standing up straight, and then another week until i felt normal. I had quite a lot of shoulder pain (the gas irritates the diaphragm where there are nerve endings for the shoulder), and was bloated.

The 2nd & 3rd laps were performed by Australia's lap expert Prof Michael Cooper, and my recoveries were much less painful than the first, and one of them involved the recto-uterine separation. So, in my experience, I believe that a skilled surgeon definitely helped, lower my recovery time by a week.

I took turns in resting and doing little walks around the house to try and shift the gas, kept hydrated, and took panadol for pain. Just remember that even though it is keyhole surgery, underneath all that its like a normal operation, so your insides are probably still a little traumatized. Take it slow and steady, and best wishes for a speedy return to normality!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Beatrix For This Useful Post:

PeaSoup  (26-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big thank-you's to everyone. I've really needed to hear about others' experiences.

I don't think it was fully explained to me that it was still major surgery, just without the scars. Your posts have helped a lot. I have majorly underestimated the recovery time required, although I still think it's weird that my shoulder hurts more than my abdomen!

Thanks Lumi, I'll keep an eye on the nausea/vomiting in case there is an infection. The wounds look ok, no redness, etc, but you can never be too careful. My last dose of oxycodone, which also causes nausea, was today and so perhaps I'll feel better tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews

I found peppermint water from the chemist helped with the shoulder pain. I read somewhere that its from a build up of gas that gets trapped in the shoulder cavity and the peppermint helps it dissipate.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Natskyn For This Useful Post:

PeaSoup  (29-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I was the same, the shoulder pain was terrible. I found that moving around helped with that.

Hope you start feeling better soon

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ourbradybunch For This Useful Post:

PeaSoup  (29-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Degas, degas, degas! The best tablets ever! They helped me with the constant pain I had. Took me about 2 weeks to be back to normal. Then put my back out as I thought I'd be fine for the gym... Def dont over do it. It's big surgery hun.

Hope u feel better.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jessesgirl For This Useful Post:

PeaSoup  (29-12-2012)