+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Comments about extended breastfeeding

Perhaps you could say to her that as long as breastfeeding is working for you, you'll "probably" keep it up since you are so busy that cleaning and preparing bottles is another job you'd rather not add to your to-do list.
    I think if people have had issues with breastfeeding, then it's best to be a bit nonchalant about your plans for extended breastfeeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe just be direct and let her know it makes you feel uncomfortable that she keeps asking? I think our mums generation... was just so different, y'know? Formula was so 'the done thing', there was no internet to turn to for support and information groups. My own mum knows I am a good mum so has stopped questioning what we do. But still makes little comments here and there "Is she out of your bed yet?" or "You look so much healthier than when you were breastfeeding ALL the time (!!)" (I think that one is pretty rude!). But I give her & her generation a bit of slack because it's all changed so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thanks everyone. I was hoping there may be a simple response to make her stop questioning me. I am going to tell her it makes me uncomfortable that she keeps asking. I am also going to let her know that I will continue to feed for as long as we both wish. (If I give a timeframe she will start hassling me all over again!)

The bottle discussion came up a couple of times also after I directly told her to stop. I understand formula was the norm back and can excuse her for this but she can educate herself and has on other parenting issues like sids etc. Its just like me bf annoys her almost.

I also have siblings with ff babies that she compares and no doubt "discusses" this with.

I am usually a very direct person but the dynamics of my relationship with my Mum are unusual. I suspect she (and my siblings & gp's) do not agree with a lot of my ways of doing things. Because of this she "baits" me into a debate (better word: argument)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarplumMummy For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (26-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Good luck! I suppose if after you've explained she still keeps on you can just use the old "we'll have to agree to disagree on this" line.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations for sticking with what you know is best. Keep up the great work breastfeeding for as long as you want. It's a fabulous time in your life to be able to give your child such "special" snuggles. I have a 10 month old and I am going to bf for as long as he lets me! Your doing a fabulous job!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Between my MIL and my Dad, I copped this all the time. I don't know why it bothers them so much. I eventually weaned DS at 2.5 years, but the last six months were just covert feeds at night that DH and I kept to ourselves until DS was ready to wean.

I'm sure I'll be in for it again with this baby. I wish my family weren't so oddly preoccupied with my boobs! (Well...except DH!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow. I can't even imagine that anyone would suggest weaning a baby under 12 months. You'd think everyone should know breast is (almost always) best. I just wanted to say good on you all for keeping on BFing, it must be so hard with all that pressure to wean. My son self weaned around 11 months so I've yet to face the extended feeding pressure.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started getting those comments when DD was about 4 months old...and they never bloody stopped lol. I weaned DD just before she turned 3, but once she was 2 years old I just didnt mention that she was still breastfed or talk about it with anyone. It was easier then dealing with all their ignorant comments! I had a range of comments I would use -
    'The WHO recommend feeding till AT LEAST 2 years, I think they know what they are talking about'
    'Why would I give her a bottle when breastfeeding is free and easy?!'
    'How come its ok for other bubs to have a bottle or a dummy but my DD can't have her comfort and food all in one?'

I was lucky that my mum was absolutely awesome about me breastfeeding, she really encouraged it and helped me with it. MIL on the other hand could not understand why I would breastfeed and how it could be enough for DD. I remember when DD was 3 months old she asked me what she drinks. I said breast milk. She said 'yeah but what else apart from that and juice? She would need rice cereal too at least' the look on her face when I said no water, no juice and no rice cereal was hilarious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh I'd be direct and say it like it is to her. Don't want it to become an issue.

Dd is 7 weeks and I've already had my MIL and my brothers girlfriend ask about how long I intend to feed. To quote my SIL said

"you aren't going to feed till she's like 2 are you it's disgusting"

and MIL

"if you breastfeed that long it'll become a comfort thing"

I calmly explained I would be breastfeeding Atleast till 2 if she didn't self wean, explained the WHO guidelines and also the important point of Why the Eff would I put her into cows breast milk when I had my own perfect source !?!? Mil said ohhhhh so uou'll express and put it in a bottle.

What I do with my breasts is no concern of yours !!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Argh! How sad and maddening that bottles are seen as being more normal and acceptable by some than breasts!?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

almai  (21-06-2013),BlueLips  (21-06-2013),FrothyFrog  (21-06-2013)