+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Feeling guilty...

I just want to vent my feelings really. DS is 11 weeks and I'm feeling really guilty about today. We went to Xmas lunch with the family and it was just mayhem. There were lots of relatives there who haven't seen him since he was born, so he was getting passed around like a toy. People didn't even ask they just grabbed him and gave him to everyone else, even young kids (I quickly intervened here) I wish I had the balls to just say no. He is going through a growth spurt and its so hot today he's been cluster feeding and irritable. Then at dinner everyone got drunk, talking loudly, kids screaming, it was raining so everyone inside making noise. He looked really freaked out. I just feel guilty that maybe I should've just taken him home or told people to leave him alone. He's my first baby so maybe I'm just being over protective I had a good day though despite that, hopefully he isn't too overwhelmed!
    Merry Xmas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't feel guilty. It can take a while to build up the strength to tell people to back off. And i'm glad you had a good day, enjoying yourself is important too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    He'll be fine. It's just one day. He probably would have been overstimulated if you'd been there for 10 minutes or 6 hours, it wouldn't have made any difference. BUT, you probably would have regretted it if you'd stayed home and stared at the 4 walls all day (and he might have been irritable and cluster feeding all day anyway).

Noise is good for babies, interaction with lots of different people in different situations is good too - helps them learn to read social cues.

I hope you get some good rest tonight - sounds like a stressful day for you. Take it easy tomorrow! Merry Christmas!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (26-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Don't feel guilty.
    I still have those exact feelings when we go out to be events etc and my dd is 2yo.
    I've relaxed a little now but today I was feeling bad because we were out at her nap time with family and they were all playing with her getting her all excited so a nap was out of the question, then when we were leaving she was a mess, totally overtired etc and I felt bad that it was all because I didn't put her down for a nap.

It was a big day for my daughter and like you we all had a good time but I couldn't help worrying over those little things still.
    By the time we got home and she rested up she was perfectly fine lol.

But don't feel guilty, it perfectly natural to feel that way and the feelings won't go away no matter the age
    Kids handle way more than what we give the credit for I think.

Merry Christmas.
    And congratulations on your little mans first Christmas

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks everyone, I suppose it is good for him to get used to those situations. He is happy as larry this morning all smiles and kicks, so I don't think it did him too much harm I was so nervous of losing him when I was pregnant, I thought i would be so relieved once he was born, which I was but now I'm nervous about everything else lol
    Off to mums for lunch today, but just with me, DP, DS, mum, dad and my brother, so nice and chillaxed have a great day everyone xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Completely understandable feelings. Our DS was the same but thankfully not to the extent of your DS. However his four little cousins are very full on and constant,y in his face because they love him and want to play with him. He barely had any sleep yesterday and took so long to go to sleep for the night compared to normal.

but you know what, he rewarded me with a massive 11.5 hours between feeds. I got 7.5 hours sleep in one lot and woke up with the sorest boobs and panicked he wasn't breathing so got up to check on him. Obviously he was completely fine, must have needed his sleep. He then fed and went straight back to sleep for another 3 hours. So after expressing a whopping 100mls after he had finished feeding I got another couple hours rest.

Anyway, don't feel guilty, you did nothing wrong and I'm sure the second he was in any danger you would have stepped in.