+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Maybe get your mum to ring the ABA so she can understand how breastfeeding works.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Missbean  (26-12-2012),Mod-xkwzit  (26-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Huge . I can't imagine not having a family that wants to cuddle a 7 week old constantly. In my family if I was at a family gathering I wouldn't be spending all day cuddling my bub cause others would be helping out and providing constant cuddles. Bubs probably wouldn't even sleep in a pram or cot at all during the day. 4 hour gaps between breast feeds and crying it out at 7 weeks is very foreign to me and well done to sticking up to them, but I imagine it must be very difficult. You are doing the right thing for your bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Warning - rant ahead

Poor you. Sounds like you are doing an awesome job. In the future I would give your family Information about current practices. There are few grandparents ones around. Try aba, child youth h health in sa and other parenting organisations.

Have they suggested solids yet? Milk arrow root biscuits are popular with that generation.

Good luck. One more sleep
    Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are awesome! I found dealing with the constant feeds and the whole upheaval of having a new baby intense enough in an incredibly supportive environment. I can't even imagine dealing with constant criticism and questioning. It sounds like you are doing an incredible job of rising above it and giving your new baby your best. Hang in there

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

Missbean  (26-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Warning - rant ahead

Set ground rules now. With the next comment say "thanks for your interest but at this point I'm not going to accept any bf'ing/settling advice from anyone other than my doctor or child health nurse.". Repeat it every time they comment inappropriately. They will soon get the hint. If you are worried about them being offended just go out of your way to make conversation on other topics eg "do you have any quick healthy recipes I can steal?."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Missbean  (26-12-2012),Mod-xkwzit  (26-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Warning - rant ahead

I think you said you were going home Thursday anyway? But if not, the next comment they make I would reply calmly but firmly with 'the next negative criticism I get on feeding/raising my baby will make me leave and I won't return next year'.

You don't deserve the constant comments, everyone has the right to raise their child the way they want. It's also no longer an unknown that b/f is THE best form of nutrition, so they should be supporting you even if they don't understand. If they can't do that then they don't deserve your time at the moment, as stress can affect your milk supply.

You need to stand up for yourself OP and have the guts to leave if need be. Family are important, but they also should be supportive.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Missbean  (26-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you all for your wonderfully supportive comments and ideas. I'm just ignoring most of the comments (the family ones - not the ones here!) and looking after my boy the best I can. It's always difficult as my parents helped us fund the ivf treatment that resulted in our son. It's just unfortunate that I come from a demanding, critical and emotionally remote family. I'm trying to break that mold for my own family.

DH has not helped as much today as his tolerance reached breaking point and he drank a bit too much. Would have gone home today but the weather here is cool and I so needed a break from qld heat!

I should add that my family do love me even if they drive me insane. It's a generational thing too - my grandmother is very much spare the rod and spoil the child which of course passed to mum. With them both here plus my opinionated sil ( who thinks a 7 week old should be trained!) makes a tense atmosphere. Oh well - home tomorrow

Thanks
    Reviews

Forgot to add - caught mum trying to settle Percy by pinning a dummy in his mouth. I mean she was pushing on it to keep it there while he cried and tried to push it out! I took him, bf and changed him and he settled beautifully on me without a dummy
    No wonder it took years for me to let DH hug me when I cry!

Thanks
    Reviews

My mil tried to get me to cio with ds in his first 3 months.
    She gave him a dummy when I asked her not to.
    In the end I moved out and told her out was not the way I wanted to raise him.
    I then started co-sleeping feeding on demand, doing it my way. It was to late. My supply was not the best and found out he was better off on a bottle.
    What your mum did That would have made me snap. My bub will not scream because someone wants to prove a point or is being stubborn.
    Hugs. I think you really need to say something or leave.
    Don't let it go to much longer for you and your bub!

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie Stackedhouse For This Useful Post:

Missbean  (26-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can't SPOIL a baby with breastfeeding... Why is it so wrong to want human comfort???